Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List for the overnight hospital stay

Hi Everyone... Even though I still have one week to go until my surgery, I made my list of what to bring to the hospital with me on 1/10. I did a search on the boards, and came up with a list to share for anyone staying overnight. Feel free to add anything else that may be useful:

paperwork

lip balm

PJ's (if you don't want to walk around in a hospital gown)

slip on slippers, or warm socks

underwear

toothbrush, toothpaste

Rx meds you need to take

body spray (to get rid of the 'hospital smell')

book or magazine

clothes to go home in that don't bind the waist (dress or drawstring pants)

hat (your hair may be gross), or pony tail holder

face cleansing wipe (very refreshing after surgery)

pillow (for the car ride home, to cushion the seat belt)

These are items that showed up multiple times, and all make sense to me.

Hope it helps!

Gwenn

I'm curious as to how many people are actually staying overnight for their surgery. Mine is just day surgery unless they feel that I need to stay longer for some reason. However, I'm no stranger to anethestic (just had tonsils out in November, and have had a breast reduction many years ago) so they are not overly concerned.

I'm curious as to how many people are actually staying overnight for their surgery. Mine is just day surgery unless they feel that I need to stay longer for some reason.

My insurance company (Empire BC/BS) approved the procedure as an out-patient, but my doctor says IT WILL be medically necessary for me to spend the nght.

Wow I'm going to try and sch. mine on that date because I have a school breake of a few day so maybe we can keep in touch i do understand i have some of the same things done. but i'm thinking boobs will be sagging when we drop the pd then we have to start over again... smile

I am staying overnight. Don't know what kind of alert state I will be in after surgery, but if I am awake enough, I want to bring my laptop. I wonder if the hospital has wireless? Do hospitals have wireless yet?

I am staying overnight. Don't know what kind of alert state I will be in after surgery, but if I am awake enough, I want to bring my laptop. I wonder if the hospital has wireless? Do hospitals have wireless yet?

That is so funny...I was wondering the same thing! My guess is hospitals probably do not have wireless b/c the signal could possibly interfere with some of the more sensitive equipment. I have my pre-op appointment at the hospital this Monday (my surgery is Thurs., 1/10), and I will ask them about the wireless signal then.

I should call and ask my hospital if they do. I remember visiting someone in the hospital last year and she had wireless I believe or at least some sort of internet connection albeit it wasn't a great one.

That is so funny...I was wondering the same thing! My guess is hospitals probably do not have wireless b/c the signal could possibly interfere with some of the more sensitive equipment. I have my pre-op appointment at the hospital this Monday (my surgery is Thurs., 1/10), and I will ask them about the wireless signal then.

Alot of hospitals are wireless now, doesn't interfere with anything. Only problem is some have wireless networks for the public to access and some are locked down for security. Best bet is to call and ask ahead of time. Good luck I know my laptop would make my time go faster.:ranger:

We had to keep on the hospital gown, and couldn't take any other meds except what I was getting intravenously. I used the lip balm, because you come out of surgery with your lips so, so dry.

I put on my own underwear after the procedure and brought in a really big comfy sweatsuit to leave in. I was quite swollen in the belly area. Have someone bring a pillow for the ride in the car home too. Its good to put over your belly area if you are feeling the gas, you can push on it and not hurt yourself.

I'm also taking my ipod. It might make the potentially long night go a little faster! Oh, and the book I didn't read when I went on my cruise in December. What was I thinking?

I'm throwing in a book ... I didn't finish either!!

a deck of cards..

lots of lip balm.. I heard that your lips are extremely dry thru all this..

a warm pair of socks..