Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marchies in the New Year

WOW Jeni! What a difference 10 months and 73.3 lbs makes! Good for you. You must be so happy and proud. Keep it up--you are an inspiration! :clap2::whoo:

Thank You!!!! :whoo: I'm really excited as well

Good Day Everyone, yesterday was a good day for me.

Great job Jeni 85!!!! You are an inspiration to us all. I know you're very proud of yourself for making the change to your life around. Keep up the good work, taking joy in your success.

Lost 1 pound and walked more than 27,000+ steps. I was concerned that I wasn't getting in my 10,000 steps that they say you should walk. So, now that's not much of a challenge. Maybe I'll try for the gym 3x a week the new challenge/goal. But, I'll still where the pedometer.

Went to my support group yesterday. Since it was the first meeting of the year, all the WLS patients were there. One woman is about to go for total body makeover. And her insurance is paying for "ALL" of it. Another woman was there from having her surgery on Tuesday, this week. It was a week before I ventured outside.

I also referred another lapband person to this website and maybe someone to bond with on this journey. I was able to help her with some of the issues we all experienced and experiencing here.

Juli, I don't have acid reflux often. But when I do, I take Beano, that seems to help. Need to cut back on my carbs, this also keeps me from losing more. I've been eating bread almost daily for the last two weeks along with Pasta (mac & Cheese), no-nos.

Well, hope everyone will have a great weekend and keep eating right. That 1 pound lose is incentative for me now. Thanksgiving and X-mas must be a thing of the past.

Good Day Everyone, yesterday was a good day for me.

Great job Jeni 85!!!! You are an inspiration to us all. I know you're very proud of yourself for making the change to your life around. Keep up the good work, taking joy in your success.

Lost 1 pound and walked more than 27,000+ steps. I was concerned that I wasn't getting in my 10,000 steps that they say you should walk. So, now that's not much of a challenge. Maybe I'll try for the gym 3x a week the new challenge/goal. But, I'll still where the pedometer.

Went to my support group yesterday. Since it was the first meeting of the year, all the WLS patients were there. One woman is about to go for total body makeover. And her insurance is paying for "ALL" of it. Another woman was there from having her surgery on Tuesday, this week. It was a week before I ventured outside.

I also referred another lapband person to this website and maybe someone to bond with on this journey. I was able to help her with some of the issues we all experienced and experiencing here.

Juli, I don't have acid reflux often. But when I do, I take Beano, that seems to help. Need to cut back on my carbs, this also keeps me from losing more. I've been eating bread almost daily for the last two weeks along with Pasta (mac & Cheese), no-nos.

Well, hope everyone will have a great weekend and keep eating right. That 1 pound lose is incentative for me now. Thanksgiving and X-mas must be a thing of the past.

Thank You..!!!!

and congrats on 27,000 steps thats awesome!!! i wish i could do that.. but the again i dont have a pedometer...(well a working one for that matter)

Good luck on hitting that gym you can do it... that is my next goal... to go to the gym more ofter.:wink:

Hi All, - Everyone's getting on board with the exercise. I did 10 minutes of level 10 on the bike, it was a struggle, but I think I got the same results of 20 min at a lower level. Going to try for 15min at level 10 next. Levels 6 and 7 are feeling like 3 and 4. I use those levels as my 5 minute cool down.

Tammy, 11 pounds, you'll hit soon. Then it's on to maintaining your brand new weight. I won't be there any time soon. But look forward to seeing you get there. Then you can tell us what's it's like on that side of the fence.

Did that scale come in yet? If so, how is it working for you? Didn't order mines yet, still trying to find it cheaper.

metawnny- when I feel that I'm about to blow it, I take a yogurt drink filled with fruits and powdered "Protein mix" or have tunafish and crackers or deli slices. Anything to keep from eating a full meal. And I mean a full meal. Even though I measure them, they're still a full meal.

I've come across the word P-bing, what does that mean? I have an idea but need to be sure.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but do anyone have trouble eating semi-solid foods in the mornings, ie scrambled eggs/omelets? The first bite and they were small and I felt it was well chewed felt tight going down. The second and third bites did the same. I felt so bad, I thought they would just sit where they were. My throat and chest began to burn and I felt like I couldn't breath. The one time I wished it would come back up. When they reached my stomach it felt worse. After about 15 minutes the sensation began to ease and the food went down. After my stomach calmed down, I was then able to finish it. I'm not sure if this will be a morning thing to be careful with. This has happened after my last fill I had last week. I understand why it happened with tunafish and crackers also egg sandwich, for Breakfast dry food, but "eggs"?. I hope this won't be problem now.

I know some meats, like chicken breast is suggeted not to eat. I haven't had any since my fill, so not sure if that will be a problem too. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really haven't eaten meat since last week. Mostly fish, am I on the road to becoming a vegetarian? My daughter would like that very much?

Well, everyone have a great weekend. Looking to read positive results from everyone.

Whitepants,

PBing or PB's are what you descibed, that feeling of tightness, but where the food comes back up and out. It's not like a full regergitation (sp) because the food didn't hit the lower stomach and there isn't stomach acid involved. But it stands for Productive Burp. Typically you'll get some slime with it too, which is the body's way of trying to help the food move. It's super thick saliva.

I have problems with eggs at times. Really I think it's because they are so soft we don't chewy them well enough. But they have a pretty tight structure, unless you are eating them sunnyside up and they are super runny. You might try adding cottage cheese for extra Protein and to keep them from cooking too hard, or just lay off the eggs until your restriction eases up a tad.

I can eat more at night than in the morning which I believe is pretty common.

Have a good weekend.

Hi everyone,

It is so nice to see our group so active. Everyone is so pumped!!

So I have a nice amount of restriction. FINALLY. Anyway I just got over the dreaded stomach flu. I was absolutely terrified but it was not tragic. I am going to get a little graphic. I think that with the bands and not eating a lot of bulk like before there is not a lot to come up, and also the fact that the band is on most went down. I did have a very hard time keeping hydrated so pushing the H2o today even harder.

My hair is officially growing back. It is so true what they say that at about 5 mts you lose it but then it grows back, so true. I have little 1/2 inch bangs and little side burns, whoooo scary!

Does anyone know what is our aimed calorie amount a day? I would like a 2-3 lb loss a week opposed to a 1-2 lb loss. I am so picky I know, but I am so anxious to be done, and maintaining, and I also really want a Tummy Tuck over the summer so I have goals in mind. I am 5' 4".

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hi everyone,

It is so nice to see our group so active. Everyone is so pumped!!

So I have a nice amount of restriction. FINALLY. Anyway I just got over the dreaded stomach flu. I was absolutely terrified but it was not tragic. I am going to get a little graphic. I think that with the bands and not eating a lot of bulk like before there is not a lot to come up, and also the fact that the band is on most went down. I did have a very hard time keeping hydrated so pushing the H2o today even harder.

My hair is officially growing back. It is so true what they say that at about 5 mts you lose it but then it grows back, so true. I have little 1/2 inch bangs and little side burns, whoooo scary!

Does anyone know what is our aimed calorie amount a day? I would like a 2-3 lb loss a week opposed to a 1-2 lb loss. I am so picky I know, but I am so anxious to be done, and maintaining, and I also really want a Tummy Tuck over the summer so I have goals in mind. I am 5' 4".

Have a good weekend everyone!

So good to hear from you, Janine. You are doing GREAT! How are your children? I know you were having some concerns with them--is it going any better?

I didn't lose any hair, but I'm a really slow loser so that may be why. Not complaining here! Glad yours is growing back.

I, too, finally have good restriction! It's great! (although sometimes I would just love to sit down to a full meal and eat it!). I asked my nurse last time I was in what my calorie intake should be. She said 1,000-1,200 per day. That's usually where I'm at. I only lose a pound a week, on good weeks though. My dr. has said from the beginning that the goal is only 1-1 1/2 lbs. per week. You don't want to cut your calories too much in an attempt to lose more and end up going into starvation mode and losing even less. It's always a hard call. Sometimes I think I lose the best when I'm at 1500 calories. But I can't tell because I don't think the loss is immediate--like the next day--so maybe I'm better off sticking around 1,000. It's a guessing game, isn't it?

Sorry you have been sick. Glad you are feeling better. Good luck with your restriction and your goal.

Janine

You can dip as low as 800 a day. Good luck with that though...I'm just too darn hungry to do it.

My cals have been 1200-1500, and I have been plateauing for forever (it seems). I think I'll need to get down to the 1000-1200 range.

I had .3cc's added on 1/9 and was eating fine until today. I PB'd on my tiny blood pressure med, and can only do liquids. We'll see how this goes. Glad to feel more restriction, but would like to be able to eat solid foods.

Hi Marchies,

The calories question is interesting. Some say you shouldn't go below 1200 cal at all if you want to lose (I've even heard not to go lower than 1400). But I try to keep my calories around 1000. I figure that I'm probably missing 200 calories in there despite my best attempts, so it's probably 1200 calories actually, at worst. But I only enter my foods (I use fitday) every couple of weeks to see where I am at. Honestly, when I do stick very close to 1000 cal/day, I really don't notice any difference in the weight loss, but I am hungrier.

I wonder about the whole starvation-mode thing, anyway. I don't know if I'm the only one. People who are starved against their will DO lose weight--their bodies might go into "starvation mode" and hang onto the weight for a while, but eventually they let it go. Obviously, they lose muscle and organ mass as well as fat, which we certainly don't want to do, but it just makes me wonder how long that "starvation mode" lasts. If your calories are 800/day (for example) I would think you'd hang onto weight for a while but eventually your body would give it up. I'm just curious about the whole phenomenon. Does anyone else ever wonder that?

I was on a plateau over the holidays (Nov and Dec) but I recently started a weight training program. I've lost a little bit more weight and busted the plateau, but more importantly I lost inches and got into a smaller size within about 2 weeks. I was surprised how quickly it happened. Now that I am building more muscle, I expect the weight loss process to go a bit differently, maybe more slowly, but I'm not concerned about it, as I can tell I am getting smaller. Yay lapband!

Good Day To All:

Oh Juli, thanks for the info on P'Bing. I am now convinced the first meal of the day, Breakfast cannot be of anything with consistency. Even eggs. The last few mornings Breakfast did not go down well. Haven't tried oatmeal yet, but anything that needs to be chewed well is not happening. Well, that leaves hot Cereal, not a fan of cold or Protein drink. I don't like milk and have issues with the milk if it's more than one cup. So, now it's either no breakfast or eat something about 10:30 - 10:45 am. That's when I'm able to take a break and eat something.

Now that I'm close to being more restrictive, what else might I experience? My next fill in 2/6. That should put me at the restriction I'm looking for.

About calories, I try to stay within 1100 - 1200 calories. Sometimes I can exist on 800 - 1000, but you're right, it's not good. I lose weight too. But remember the calories you burn during exerise is taken away from your daily calorie intake. If your calories for the day is 1200 and you burn 700 calories, then your daily calorie intake is only 500. Once again sending your body into starvation mode.

I didn't lose any hair during the early months after the surgery, but I do notice now that my finger nails are harder and growing together. Not too much breakage, splitting or snagging.

So everyone keep up those exercises and drink plenty of wate. Hope to read positive results soon.

And thanks for the info.

So it seems that 1000 -1200 is the target number of calories. That sounds good to me, don't want to go into starvation mode. Also your right Gwen maybe keeping it closer to 1000 to leave room for the misc. 200 eaten unconsciously. Whitepants I forgot about burnt calories you brought up an interesting fact.

Mamma Lampert isn't the sweet spot a beautiful thing, it has been a long time since I have had it. Thanks for asking about my kidos. I love the phrase little kids little problems big kids big problems it is so true. There is nothing fatal, or thank god, legal, just day to day issues. My oldest son turns 20 today and is quite interverted, he is over 300 lbs, and my heart cries for him to be more social and have a better self esteem. He has however, figured he will major as a graphic designer, and I now see a sparkle in his eye to succeed. My 16 year old son is sexually active with a girl from a terribly dysfunctional family. My 13 year old son has a "girlfriend" and I am constantly telling him that what his older brother is doing is moralistically wrong. My daughter adopted from China is doing wonderfully, WHEW! My DH travels a ton so I often am on my own in making crucial decisions. Did I mention that my DH, my 20 year old and 13 year old are severely ADD. Just to keep life hopping a little more. Oh, since June my hubby has put on 40 lbs, he is bringing all kinds of stuff into the home and eating poorly on the road. I have a hunch some how my lapband journey is tied into this, I just have not figured out how or why. My life in a nut shell.

Sorry to be so self absorbed guys, I didn't realize just typing it out would help take some off my shoulders.

Have a great week everyone!

Just checking in.

Janine- Because of my son, a police car can not drive by my house without me breaking out into a sweat. My 18 yr ds used to get into a lot of trouble. He has changed in the past 1 – 1 ½. I just hope it sticks. He will be going about 1 hour away for college this April and I am praying that everything is going to be alright. My beautiful 12 yo dd is very shy and has almost no friends and it makes me want to cry. She is 5’ 1 and 95 lbs soaking wet, so weight has nothing to do with it. I have tried everything I can think of to get her to invite other girls over, or ask if someone would like to go to a movie/skating/Pizza Machine, anything, but she is sooo shy. I hope that she outgrows it. And my dh has put on weight since my surgery. I have tried to talk to him about it, but he denies that he has. I am just going to keep reassuring his ego that he is still my one and only and hope that helps. But if he even thought of bring crap food into the house right now, he knows I better not see it or it’s in the trash. I don’t mind ice cream because I have never been gluttonous with that, but chips, crackers, candy, forget about it. It’s not going to happen. But then again, I can get very bitchy.

I love Sparkpeople.com. I am on it all the time. I have even figured out how to add all the exercises that I want to do and have it scheduled till the end of the month. I even look forward to doing the strength training exercises. I love being able to see how many calories (goal is set between 1000-1200, norm is around 950) and seeing how many calories burned walking on my treadmill is. I try to read several of the articles everyday. Yes, I am addicted. Now tomorrow I might be singing a different tune. I weigh myself every Monday. Keep your fingers crossed that I have finally got the scale going downwards again. Been sitting at 183 forever.

Guess I better get back to work. Have a great week everyone.

Oh my goodness...

Shy daughters and ADD kiddos. My little girl is 6 and marches to her own drummer right now. She has very few friends at school, not because she's shy or because she is mean, but because she is overly huggy and touchy and wants to be in everyone's business all the time. She's not ADD but has SPD which is sensory processing disorder. She's a sensory seeker...and is too young to get social boundaries. So the other kids avoid her. UGH. She is still rather clueless, but soon I'm sure it will impact her self esteem. The good thing is she's very physical so steering her toward sports is something we are doing. But she has no fear. Think the TV show Jackass, but with a 6 year old girl.

Don't you just want to protect them from the world?

And Janine, don't apologize for writing...that's what we're here for. And if someone isn't interested then can move along to a different thread.

XO