Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet freak out!

It's happening. That thing I do when the word DIET enters my mind. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that this is a lifestyle change.

I want to eat everything in sight. Just at the point that I need to be trying the hardest to lose weight pre-surgery I have gained back 5 of the 10 lbs I had lost. No thanks to this wonderful holiday, and 4 family get togethers that were all food-fests. Now I'm trying my hardest to get motivated to put the brakes on the eating. Although my surgeon hasn't told me I have to do a liquid diet I feel I should. But I don't want to!!! And then I start to panic because post op I won't have a choice. I have read too many horrible stories on here about people that tried to take a small bite of something and it got stuck--yikes! My friend told me that fear is what's going to keep me from eating.

Anyway, am I the only one feeling like this right now? My surgery is 1 week and 1 day away and this is the first time in months I have struggled like this.

I feel EXACTLY the same way! I am having a terrible time and am hoping that I can still go through with everything. We don't really have a pre op diet we are just supposed to make behavior changes and exercise. I actually asked if I should go on a liquid diet before surgery and was told that if I do to only have one maybe two a day so I don't get burned out on liquids since I will be on them for a while after surgery. I am just feeling like I need to eat all the white bread I can before surgery since I won't be able to have it after. I haven't really eaten that much, but boy do I want to!:hungry:

Call it the liquid phase and remove the word diet. Try one shake in the morning for two days, and then move up to 2 a day and eat sensibly.

At least your doctor didn't require you to be on a liquid phase.

Hi, I'm from the December bandsters thread, but just thought I would drop in to see the new up coming bandsters. Don't freak out about the diet, the main reason for being on a liquid diet pre-op is to shrink your liver to make the op easier. If your Dr doesn't think you need to go on it then you don't need to. It will help your recovery, but if you really feel that it would be too difficult just try to cut down on the amount of carbs that you eat.

as for eating foods you won't be able to eat later - some people have no problem with white bread others do - it's an individual thing. I haven't had a fill yet and at the moment I can eat anything - so long as I chew it up well - but the best news is that I am eating a whole lot less than before, even without a fill.

The post op liquid diet is easier than the pre-op especially when you are on full liquids. I was allowed smoothies, low fat icecream, diet custard, smooth Soups etc. So try not to worry too much.

Good luck for your banding dates.

Danna:D

Hi!

I am scheduled for the 15th! I feel as you do. I am eating more than normal - at least more junk than normal. It won't be long, though, and we will have the help that we need. Nothing tastes as good as skinny!

Good luck on your banding!:)

Susan2008:

Thanks! My pre-op was yesterday and now it's really becoming a reality!

Good luck to you as well!

My surgery is scheduled for this Friday, the 4th. I had the same problem until my Dr. put me on a pre-op diet. I was totally out of control and first few days on liver shrinking diet were hell, but I made it through and am actually feeling much better. My blood sugar is finally under control and I am off caffeine and sugar.

Having said that, I’m totally freaked out about the post-surgery diet; it’s not that hard drinking 2 shakes a day and one controlled meal, but to have to eat food 3x a day? I’m nervous about being able to do that. Sounds crazy huh?

Good luck with your surgery, I’ll be watching for you on the other side!

Suzanne