Ɨ
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2024 Surgery Buddies šŸ˜

10 hours ago, SandyT said:

Hello! Nice to meet you! I see you're in the UK. We have some wonderful friends who live in Leeds. We met them on a cruise several years ago. We hit it off immediately. We took a tour to Ireland and Scotland last year and spent one day in Liverpool and they drove over to see us. It was so special! Love the UK.

As far as shakes, the only ones I have stocked up on are Fairlife chocolate shakes. I have tried several other brands, and they are the tastiest. I bought a case at costco, but they are available from Amazon also.

I think we need to try to stay as bust as possible for the next few weeks to keep the anxiety at arms length. :)

Ah yes! Though I am not in anywhere as lovely as Scotland or Ireland! I have always wanted to visit the US just to try the food...but I guess that will have to wait a long while now šŸ˜‚

I shall have to see if they are avaliable in the UK - I see so many people talking about those! I so far have just got some powder to make Protein Water - I ordered peach tea, and watermelon flavours! https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/clear-whey-protein-powder/12081395.html?affil=mpppc&gclid=ddf9e2dd9c041582771c84ff84212ed9&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=ddf9e2dd9c041582771c84ff84212ed9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK || EN || SEA || Brand || Consumables || EM&utm_term=myprotein clear whey isolate&utm_content=Brand || Clear Whey Isolate

Definitely - I am trying to just mentally prepare but to be honest, far too much emotional eating!

On 04/19/2024 at 09:08, Bypass2Freedom said:

Ah yes! Though I am not in anywhere as lovely as Scotland or Ireland! I have always wanted to visit the US just to try the food...but I guess that will have to wait a long while now šŸ˜‚

I shall have to see if they are avaliable in the UK - I see so many people talking about those! I so far have just got some powder to make Protein Water - I ordered peach tea, and watermelon flavours! https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/clear-whey-protein-powder/12081395.html?affil=mpppc&gclid=ddf9e2dd9c041582771c84ff84212ed9&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=ddf9e2dd9c041582771c84ff84212ed9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK || EN || SEA || Brand || Consumables || EM&utm_term=myprotein clear whey isolate&utm_content=Brand || Clear Whey Isolate

Definitely - I am trying to just mentally prepare but to be honest, far too much emotional eating!

Oooh let me know what you think of the clear Protein from myprotein i have a watermelon sample that i havenā€™t tried yet - i tried another brand and it was disgusting so iā€™m scared of being disappointed šŸ¤£

On 4/15/2024 at 3:03 AM, Bypass2Freedom said:

Have you started your LRD yet? I completely get the apprehension around the relationship with food - I am feeling the same. I am definitely an emotional eater, and whilst I am trying to prepare for that, the fear of the unknown is real! I've never had to deal with not having food there as my emotional crutch for the entirety of my life!

I agree with the fact that it does seem to be mixed responses around losing that feeling of hunger - some people who have had the sleeve tend to say that feeling goes more so, if I am remembering correctly.

Lovely to see lip balm is on all our lists haha!

Riding a bike is 100% something I want to be able to do again!

I have been told I don't need to do the LRD, but will probably start next week anyway.

Finding Liquid Protein i can stand has been my biggest hurdle. I like the hot savory ones from Unjury, so might stick with those.

2 hours ago, Zingor said:

I have been told I don't need to do the LRD, but will probably start next week anyway.

Finding Liquid Protein i can stand has been my biggest hurdle. I like the hot savory ones from Unjury, so might stick with those.

Ah I see! I have about 8 days until I start mine - all feeling a bit more real as it gets closer!

I can imagine - I think I am going to try and stick with the Protein Water as it won't be as thick thankfully

Well, it's countdown time for me. I start my liver prep diet tomorrow and my surgery is two weeks later. I have all I need for the next two weeks, it came in a tote bag from my surgeon's office, chocolate and vanilla Protein Powder. I can add some fruit to the shakes if desired and have other clear calorie free liquids and Jello and popsicles. I hope it won't be too bad. I'll let you know how it's going! It's getting real y'all.

@SandyT eee! That is so exciting! Please do let us know how you are getting on! Sounds like you have it all sorted and planned :)

Mine starts next week! šŸ˜–

@SandyT I'm having a gastric sleeve on May 6 as well! Glad to read about others' experiences here, helps me feel like I'm not on my own.

I started my Protein Shake diet a couple days early on 4/19, and it has been rough so far (extreme fatigue, headaches, brain fog, and bloating). A few people have told me it usually gets better after 3-5 days, and I really hope that's the case!

@corylus Glad to meet someone having surgery the same day as me! I also feel that it is good to read others comments here, we are definitely not alone.

My first day I also felt brain fog, and a craving for something sweet or salty. I think I will try some gatorade to see if that helps the craving. Maybe I need sodium. I keep thinking 1day down and 13 to go. I hope it does get better eventually. I did discover that adding some PB powder to my vanilla shake made a pretty tasty Peanut Butter shake. I also added a bit of Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup to my chocolate shake and it was pretty tasty. I do love chocolate.

šŸ˜– I am a bit concerned as to how I will cope with the pre-op diet! I know I won't cheat or anything, but I find that when I don't eat enough I get severely dizzy, nauseous and very faint. I'll be at work too, so I am just going to try and stay behind my desk šŸ¤£

I hope everyone is doing well!

So my surgery has been rescheduled, I am so glad that this is finally going to happen. Originally was set for March 12th, but had an issue with my kidney, everything is golden, and am now set for surgery on 05/02ā€¦ā€¦started liquid diet process on 18th, I'm having such a hard time with it. I'm a diabetic and get weak light-headed, dizzy. My sugars are fluxuating, and the meal shakes are constipating me.

Been reading posts from everyone, and got a lot of good info, so I don't feel so uninformed and alone on the journey.

I'm doing gastric bypass revision surgery on May 4. I'm familiar with the prep and post-op routine, so that's not a problem. I'm looking forward to getting back on track!!

Greetings. My name is Jacki, 41 years old from Norther California and I am new around these parts. Here is what my weight is looking like. First visit with surgeon after referal sent over, 11/28/23 I was 373 pounds. 4/19/2024 was 353 after my doctor told me to lose 20 pounds before my next appointment. My scale at home lied to me by like 5 pounds so we will go with the office scale. I left that appointment on the 19th with a surgery date of May 9th, 2024.

Nervous and excited is an understatement. I start my 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow 4/25 and it is gonna suck because my birthday is 4/27 but I know this is the best birthday gift I can give myself. This is like the last piece of my puzzle of taking over my life and figuring out who I am and who I want to be.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know all of you guys. Have a great day.

5/10. Im a bit nervous. Also a failed lap band from 2010 :( but my team is great and im envisioning a healthy future to keep me motivated.
I packed lip balm. Moisturizer. Earplugs. Phone charger.

Donā€™t plan on being there long and come home in same clothes wore in! The dietitian said not to plan on liking any Protein Shake i liked preop so be careful what you stock up on. I seem not to mind any of them so it will be ok!

New to posting and talking about all this.

So, I just completed day 3 of my liver prep diet. Today seemed to be better than yesterday. I am not feeling as hungry, although I am already getting tired of the Protein Shakes. I still have little energy, just doing the absolute necessary and resting a lot. It's hard but not horrible and will be worth it when all is said and done.

Everyone hang in there and remember what the goal is... better health and a longer life. I'm still nervous, but also ready to move forward. We got this!

Posted (edited)

Operation is on May 1. I'm one week into the liquid diet. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. My doctor's nutritionists made a schedule (I always do better with a plan) and required me to buy Unjury products. I have the chicken Soup and Cookies and cream shakes. The shakes are actually pretty good.

My sense of smell is through the roof. I wasn't expecting that. I can smell people cooking meat a mile away I swear!

I get odd tightness and heat where the back of my head meets my neck. Is this the headaches I was warned about?

I'm feeling good about the surgery. I'm already down a pants size after one week and am looking forward to sustaining gains through the next 12 months.

Edited by Pat Hall