Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating 5 weeks out?

Curious to hear what people who had surgery in December 2023 are eating or what you ate when you were 5 weeks out? Sticking to Protein and veggies?What is your general calorie consumption?

I'm 5+ yrs post op now, but thanks to MyFitnessPal and my anal logging efforts, I can tell you exactly what I was eating on my 5th week post op!

I focused on trying to get my Protein in, for sure. Aimed for 70g, didn't always make it, but gave it an honest-to-goodness try.

I do remember that i didn't eat much in the early months, due in part because of my of my restriction, but also because i had some serious food-aversion going on at the time and I just really didn't want to eat.

I was however, surpassing my daily Water goals easily (2L) all the time. I very much enjoyed drinking water, which I definitely preferred over actually eating.

Below are screenshots of everything I logged/ate during my 5th week post op.

Averaged 454 calories a day that 5th week, which i realized later was on the low side, oopsies. Though i stayed at about his calorie level until about month 3 or 4 when I averaged closer to 600 a day. By month 7 I was averaging 800 cals a day. Today, 5+ years later, I average about 1800 cals a day.

672873518_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_11_54PM.thumb.png.ddb659e0fd0c5812dfff27b56bf9f834.png  168262384_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_12_08PM.thumb.png.7dc367bb01fbeb26edfc42bf7ee14edd.png

435428670_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_13_10PM.thumb.png.821aa021bbd4235fb151eeb5ad501fb2.png  1558423957_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_13_25PM.thumb.png.258562a2cd95ef7d647fe93ca8d3d4fd.png

966911337_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_13_45PM.thumb.png.1ff8647a6eb095bfc49891f2dd1ddd77.png  449306391_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_14_13PM.thumb.png.4d699c3a9376f32eace02c1cfd12774b.png

1177793932_Screenshot2024-01-20at2_17_54PM.thumb.png.69d95b5134ccb0c2873ec13240031737.png

Week 5 was soft food for me. While it’s been 4.75yrs for me I remember making a lot of minced beef dishes: savoury mince, meat balls, bolognese with zucchini noodles. Also made a couple of slow cooked stews/casseroles & chunky soups.. So all had well cooked soft vegetables & its own sauce/gravy to keep everything moist. Omelettes & yoghurt/yoghurt drink were also on rotation & I had rolled oats & scrambled eggs for Breakfast. I wasn’t eating much either (was told 1/4-1/3 cup from purée). I’d eat one golf ball sized meat ball. Two egg scrambled eggs took 3 days to eat. Doubt I was consuming 400 calories & barely reaching my Protein goal - was much like @ms.sss in that way except I almost made 900 calories by 6 months.

Check your plan as there can be a number of differences between what we’re advised to eat. And check with your team if you want to try something ‘off plan’ first.

Listen to your body. There maybe foods your tummy can’t tolerate. Don’t give up on them though. Just avoid them for a week or so & then try again.

Good luck.

Edited by Arabesque

I did stick to very soft Protein and veggies at 5 weeks. I needed a lot of liquid (soup or gravy) to get it down. I loved fish, it felt a lot lighter than meat for a main meal to help with my protein goal. Tiny portions though. Also I was still relying on Protein Drinks to make my goal. Scrambled egg (less than one) were a godsend. I was probably consuming 400 calories per day between 4 and 6 weeks. I soon progressed to 600, maybe 2 months out? Hope this helps OP.