Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gerd with weight loss Plateau



Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Wonderwoman14 said:

I was supposed to have gotten bypass but she wanted sleeve to see if it’ll work since bypass is more major.

if u ask me, i would suggest speaking to a couple other bariatric surgeons for thier opinions...?

the idea of "testing out" the sleeve first to see if it would work on a KNOWN Gerd sufferer is bonkers to me...but then, im not a bariatric surgeon....

in any case, i hope you find the answers u are looking for.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2024 at 7:35 PM, Wonderwoman14 said:

I still watch what i eat as a GERD patient not weight loss

Perhaps you can switch it up and follow some WLS lifestyle modifications to see if it breaks your plateau. Good luck ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The food guidelines for WLS have acidic foods which isn’t good for a GERD patient. The guidelines for GERD patients the food is bland. I can’t always do GERD eating since I need my Protein and consuming yogurt, cottage cheese with other nutrients sometimes triggers my reflux. I don’t think it’s the combination of the two that’s stoping my weight loss. I may have built more muscle especially in my legs and arms but the belly muscle I’m still trying to build up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wonderwoman14 said:

The food guidelines for WLS have acidic foods which isn’t good for a GERD patient. The guidelines for GERD patients the food is bland. I can’t always do GERD eating since I need my Protein and consuming yogurt, cottage cheese with other nutrients sometimes triggers my reflux. I don’t think it’s the combination of the two that’s stoping my weight loss. I may have built more muscle especially in my legs and arms but the belly muscle I’m still trying to build up.

The guidelines lines I’m referring to are :

Limiting sugar intake to 5g or less per serving, Protein forward meals, limiting carbs and fats. Separation of meals and drinks (30 min rule), limiting calories from drinks, etc. (I’m sure others can chime in with more Bariatric specific rules that they were given to follow).

What is your doctors recommendations now that you have stalled? How tall are you? What does your exact calorie intake look like weekly? Do you accurately track it or eyeball the amounts? Have you used any online calculators to figure out your BMR, visceral fat, lean muscle mass, etc? These can help you figure out your excess body weight . Also InBody and DEXA scans will tell exactly how much excess fat you are carrying.

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

The guidelines lines I’m referring to are :

Limiting sugar intake to 5g or less per serving, Protein forward meals, limiting carbs and fats. Separation of meals and drinks (30 min rule), limiting calories from drinks, etc. (I’m sure others can chime in with more Bariatric specific rules that they were given to follow).

What is your doctors recommendations now that you have stalled? How tall are you? What does your exact calorie intake look like weekly? Do you accurately track it or eyeball the amounts? Have you used any online calculators to figure out your BMR, visceral fat, lean muscle mass, etc? These can help you figure out your excess body weight . Also InBody and DEXA scans will tell exactly how much excess fat you are carrying.

I follow all WLS guidelines so what does any of that really matter. I am allowed to eat some carbs as it’s limited and I don’t weigh my food. I use a small plate and I know what my measurements are. I do drink 30 minutes before and after. If I want sugar I’ll eat it within my own guidelines since I’m working out and that’s only once a month cravings. I’m only 5’3 and carry my fat in my belly. My surgeon has no problem with my stall since I workout 4-5x a week. I’m more worried about the daily medications I take for GERD for the past 13 yrs which isn’t good. They have me on 2 acid reflux pills and antibiotics so idk if that’s an issue too. I can lose weight I’ve always been thin all my life except after having my last baby which caused my hernia and issues; by then I couldn’t exercise no more gained weight plus perimenopause belly weight gain on top of that has been hard. The first pic on top was 1 yr before surgery the second pic is recent on new years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wonderwoman14 said:

perimenopause belly weight gain

Well that’s another piece to the puzzle! I’m sure you’ve heard how hard it it’s to lose weight during these life stages. But don’t give up hope! You can still do it. Keep us updated if anything you do breaks through the plateau. ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to the acid reflux issue due to having a hiatal hernia too. I was daily suffering with it for years until WLS. My stomach was also pushed up through my diaphragm. Docs found the hernia during pre-op testing and repaired it the same day as my RNY.

I think your doctor was hoping by fixing your hernia, it might take care of your reflux along with you losing the abdominal weight from the sleeve surgery. I also carried the majority of my excess weight around my midsection and was told that my reflux was because excess fat was pushing food back up into my esophagus. That was before they discovered I had the hernia. But both problems contributed.

After losing over 100 pounds, I'm finding that even though I am losing weight all over, my stomach is still the last place it is coming off. Very frustrating but I still have 40 lbs. to lose. And that's where it is sitting. I chalk it up to genetics.

Sadly, the hernia repair didn't take care of your reflux and the sleeve is notorious for causing it. Even in those that never had it. One of the reasons I opted for the bypass and haven't had reflux since.

As for your weight loss stall, maybe try backing off from hard workouts unless you are getting an adequate days rest in between. Increased levels of cortisol can cause abdominal weight gain. I lost all my weight from leisurely walking outdoors 2-3 miles 5-6xs a week..

GL. Your pics look great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on making positive decisions for your health. I had/have GERD. I got bypass and hiatal hernia surgery to correct it. I still need PPI but less of them, and only feel the burn or the flip of the esophagus once in a while like with eating nuts (high fat) or coffee. So, I avoid my triggers or have only very small portions.

I was a slow looser, even lost half of total weight loss before surgery. I believe it was due to menopause creating such a dry environment in my throat. The research on gut health and menopause is still so new that I can only mention it without solid peer reviewed evidence. The research is still ongoing. I only know my experience with menopause caused worsening asthma, eye infections, sudden tooth decay, arthritis and GERD. The underlying commonality was a lack of mucus production ie. menopause. Maybe it’s Sjorgrens but it slammed into me at 45 and DHEA helps, and I never developed full diabetes, nor Lupus, nor non-Hodgekins Lymphoma which are hallmarks of Sjorgrens.

I applaud your scientific curiosity. Keep letting us know what happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope your gerd issue subsides or they can get it under control. I don't think that is hindering your weight loss. Are you eating too many carbs? Do you track what you eat? Also, now here is the blunt truth..... you are considered obese if you were 5'3 and 210lbs. I'm not being mean, because i myself was considered morbidly obese and would never shame anyone on their weight but a fact is a fact and at that weight and height for a female that would be considered obese. I would try talking to your nutritionist if you are worried about losing weight slowly but do keep in mind we all lose at different rates, stall at different times etc. As Arabesque said, don't compare yourself to others weight loss journey because we are all different and you will drive yourself crazy! Best thing to do is talk to your dietician.

Edited by NCL04321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2024 at 3:34 PM, BabySpoons said:

I can relate to the acid reflux issue due to having a hiatal hernia too. I was daily suffering with it for years until WLS. My stomach was also pushed up through my diaphragm. Docs found the hernia during pre-op testing and repaired it the same day as my RNY.

I think your doctor was hoping by fixing your hernia, it might take care of your reflux along with you losing the abdominal weight from the sleeve surgery. I also carried the majority of my excess weight around my midsection and was told that my reflux was because excess fat was pushing food back up into my esophagus. That was before they discovered I had the hernia. But both problems contributed.

After losing over 100 pounds, I'm finding that even though I am losing weight all over, my stomach is still the last place it is coming off. Very frustrating but I still have 40 lbs. to lose. And that's where it is sitting. I chalk it up to genetics.

Sadly, the hernia repair didn't take care of your reflux and the sleeve is notorious for causing it. Even in those that never had it. One of the reasons I opted for the bypass and haven't had reflux since.

As for your weight loss stall, maybe try backing off from hard workouts unless you are getting an adequate days rest in between. Increased levels of cortisol can cause abdominal weight gain. I lost all my weight from leisurely walking outdoors 2-3 miles 5-6xs a week..

GL. Your pics look great.

Thank you for understanding as a GERD patient. My doctors never wanted to fully check what pain i was going through all these years and it had me pissed off. I wanted bypass, but yes what you said the dr felt by repairing my hernia it would subside. I feel since i've been on these meds for so long my body and stomach got use to it. Eventually I will get the bypass cause i'm still on meds and I still watch what i eat as a GERD patient.......no grease, hot or spicy foods. I do cardio, running and weight training and mix it up. My belly is the hardest to lose. Once again thank you for understanding me as others really dont understand what we go through its not weight that causes us pain, and we gained weight because we couldnt exercise due to the pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2024 at 8:16 AM, learn2cook said:

Congratulations on making positive decisions for your health. I had/have GERD. I got bypass and hiatal hernia surgery to correct it. I still need PPI but less of them, and only feel the burn or the flip of the esophagus once in a while like with eating nuts (high fat) or coffee. So, I avoid my triggers or have only very small portions.

I was a slow looser, even lost half of total weight loss before surgery. I believe it was due to menopause creating such a dry environment in my throat. The research on gut health and menopause is still so new that I can only mention it without solid peer reviewed evidence. The research is still ongoing. I only know my experience with menopause caused worsening asthma, eye infections, sudden tooth decay, arthritis and GERD. The underlying commonality was a lack of mucus production ie. menopause. Maybe it’s Sjorgrens but it slammed into me at 45 and DHEA helps, and I never developed full diabetes, nor Lupus, nor non-Hodgekins Lymphoma which are hallmarks of Sjorgrens.

I applaud your scientific curiosity. Keep letting us know what happens!

Honestly i never wanted this surgery WLS, i refused it fighting with the doctors the whole year. But when i learned it was actually meant for GERD patients to help us eliviate the reflux and saving our throat is when i said Yes i'll have the surgery. Doctors noticed the weight loss for GERD patients then it became the number 1 surgery for obesity. Perimenopause has a huge hand in our weight gain belly and reflux triggering more. Our hormones are off the track so I do take BHRT (BioIdentical Hormone Therapy) to help with a lot of my symptoms. Overall i really cant tell if my reflux is worse or not it's there regardless and i cant get off my meds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, NCL04321 said:

I hope your gerd issue subsides or they can get it under control. I don't think that is hindering your weight loss. Are you eating too many carbs? Do you track what you eat? Also, now here is the blunt truth..... you are considered obese if you were 5'3 and 210lbs. I'm not being mean, because i myself was considered morbidly obese and would never shame anyone on their weight but a fact is a fact and at that weight and height for a female that would be considered obese. I would try talking to your nutritionist if you are worried about losing weight slowly but do keep in mind we all lose at different rates, stall at different times etc. As Arabesque said, don't compare yourself to others weight loss journey because we are all different and you will drive yourself crazy! Best thing to do is talk to your dietician.

I was considered obese because i couldnt exercise with the pain i was dealing with for 13 yrs, including regurgitating and vomiting if i jumped around. My food intake is ok it was just a question i asked to GERD patients. If doctors would have repaired my hiatial hernia when i asked them to find out why i was in so much pain i wouldn't have needed WLS. I am not worried about losing weight at all, I eat what i can as a GERD patient and exercise 4-5x a week. My belly is my only issue but i'm also going through perimenpause for the past 5 yrs. I am happy i can eat again and do things that i couldnt do because of the pain. I never had diabetes, high blood pressure only high cholesterol only because of my perimenopause, but i kept that down without medication because i've already been on meds for 14 yrs due to my GERD. I dont compare myself to others but i can't understand how people say they lost so much weight after 6 months sounds like starvation to me. my doctor or nutrionist have no issues with my food or exercise; i was just asking if it was true for GERD patients to lose weight more slowly than normal obese patients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wonderwoman14 said:

I was considered obese because i couldnt exercise with the pain i was dealing with for 13 yrs, including regurgitating and vomiting if i jumped around. My food intake is ok it was just a question i asked to GERD patients. If doctors would have repaired my hiatial hernia when i asked them to find out why i was in so much pain i wouldn't have needed WLS. I am not worried about losing weight at all, I eat what i can as a GERD patient and exercise 4-5x a week. My belly is my only issue but i'm also going through perimenpause for the past 5 yrs. I am happy i can eat again and do things that i couldnt do because of the pain. I never had diabetes, high blood pressure only high cholesterol only because of my perimenopause, but i kept that down without medication because i've already been on meds for 14 yrs due to my GERD. I dont compare myself to others but i can't understand how people say they lost so much weight after 6 months sounds like starvation to me. my doctor or nutrionist have no issues with my food or exercise; i was just asking if it was true for GERD patients to lose weight more slowly than normal obese patients.

I think the people that lose so much weight after 6 mos are people who started at a much higher weight than both you and I. The heavier one is going into the procedure, the more they lose more quickly. I do know that if a person does not enough they will put themselves into a stall so i dont think those people are starving themselves, i think they are just bigger to begin with. I am only a couple months ahead of you (my surgery was 4/12/23) but my weight loss has considerably slowed and i havent even hit one year yet. I do eat more normal foods now as opposed to "diet food" but i do still limit my carbs and fat and sugar. Regardless, in the last 3 months ive only lost 10 lbs. Kind of annoying but i also could do better on my diet so that is partially my fault. How is your sleep? I also notice that when i get more sleep i seem to drop weight quicker. Im not the best at going to bed early enough though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Kee-Kee

      Hello my name is Kee-Kee I'm new to the group, I'm almost a month post-opt. My biggest struggle now is eating to same thing over and over again. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Kanika katyal

      A Deep Dive into Modern Coffee Brewing: Siphon, Pour-Over and Automatic Brewers
       The rise of the automatic coffee brewer has added another dimension to this brewing renaissance. As more enthusiasts seek the perfect coffee brewer online in India, understanding these methods becomes paramount.
      Read more: https://kitchenappliancesestore.weebly.com/blog/a-deep-dive-into-modern-coffee-brewing-siphon-pour-over-and-automatic-brewers

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • NickelChip

      I'm checked into the hotel near the hospital and just had my last protein shake of the day. My mom has kindly gone down to the restaurant alone so as not to make me die from watching her eat dinner. Checking in at the hospital tomorrow at 10:50am. So ready!
      · 1 reply
      1. BeanitoDiego

        Pulling for ya!

    • Clueless_girl

      6 wks post surgery, had to go back to the hospital to replenish potassium levels. STILL struggling with abdominal pain and nausea. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

      Six months pots-op as of yesterday. I celebrated with a HIIT class where I was challenged to do a wall-assisted handstand. I truly thought there's no way in hell that I can get up there. Well... I proved myself wrong. The instructor said, "Just try getting one foot up there." I tried and it was so easy, that the other foot went up, and the next thing that I knew, I was standing on my hands with my legs up in the air, leaning against the wall.
      Last weekend I challenged myself to a 10-mile hike, and I was SURE that my legs would be non-functional that night and the next day. But that didn't happen at all.  But I did learn that I need a new hiking boot or shoe. I've got a goal of walking the Portuguese coastal route of the El Camino later this year, and I good shoes will be essential.
      I've hit another weight loss stall, but that's to be expected. I am so close to my goal already that if it does take 6 more months to get that last stone off, that's okay with me. And I am building muscle, so that stone may never move. S'alright friends, s'alright.
      · 1 reply
      1. Bypass2Freedom

        Congratulations! I bet that felt awesome to achieve! 😄

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×