Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass 2 years ago. I've gained 10 pounds the last 2 months. It won't stop. Please help! I need to start over and don't know how. I never lost enough weight. I got down to 182. Now I'm 192..

How do I start over. All advice welcome Please

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

The best option would be to contact your old bariatric team. They can set up a comprehensive diet and give you guidance on what and how to kick start your new plan. If for some reason you can't do that, look at how and what you've been eating, cut back on calories, carbs and fats. Are you going over the maintenance limits?

Its the same rules as before you had surgery: less calories in than you burn off. Go back on a reduced calorie, carb fats diet.

I am preop and was just reading through the folder my surgeon's office has given me. There's a section called keeping the weight off where they talk about portions after you've gotten past the honeymoon period. They say that a meal should be 3-4 oz of lean Protein with 20-25g protein, 1/2 cup of whole grain or starchy vegetables, and then half of the plate is leafy/non-starchy veg and fruit.

The most important part for me was where they said: Sometimes portion sizes increase over time. If you feel you are able to eat more at meals, increase the portion of non-starchy vegetables.

I would start there, because I think the tendency as appetite increases is to grab a bigger plate and increase everything proportionally. So now you may be eating 5-6 oz protein and 3/4 to 1 cup of starch or grain. And maybe adding in more sauces, more fats, a piece of bread, some alcohol, juice, some sweet treats, a daily snack. My surgeon's plan emphasizes keeping to 3 meals per day without snacking once you're past the first few weeks where you need to supplement with Protein Shakes just to meet minimum protein goals.

But if you can regularly get 20-25g protein at a meal, plus 1/2 cup starch or grain and some veg/fruit, you don't need to eat more than 3 times per day, 4-6 hours apart. This is something that isn't always made clear. When I started this journey, I was certain that gastric bypass would mean having to eat lots of small meals all throughout the day, which is exactly what I'm being told not to do! But you do need to get at least 64oz of Water or more all the time, and you can add as much veg and fruit as you need to feel full.

I think that is where I would start in your position. Go back to measuring your meals, setting timers to remind you when your meal times are if you need to, eating only food you prepare yourself and/or know exactly what's in it. Check your cupboards for temptations and get rid of them. Pay attention to the urges you have to do something that isn't part of your plan, because that's probably going to show you the problem areas and help you figure out how to change.

And most of all, give yourself a little bit of grace, because this isn't easy (no matter what people try to say). Take care of yourself. Get enough sleep. Get fresh air and exercise. Be kind to yourself.

Good that you caught it early. Maybe check back in with your dietician and get some support there. Try changing what you are eating around. Throw in new foods/recipes and Snacks. Our bodies get very efficient with the same old foods and learn to make the most of the energy that we put it and out. Change the type of exercise that you are doing.