Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2024 surgery buddies

On 12/28/2023 at 00:24, Allen Grateful said:

SADI surgery coming Jan 10!

Awesome! How are you feeling? I had the SASI Bypass on January 9.

Hi all, is it normal to be craving fast food 4 days post op? I will definitely let my surgeon know about this soon

Hi all, is it normal to be craving fast food 4 days post op? I will definitely let my surgeon know about this soon

Yes it is and note sometimes you will “ mourn” be unable to eat the way you use to.

3 hours ago, j.apple said:

I'm 6 days post op and I'm experiencing that as well. I'm literally just craving "food" in general.

It’s day 5 post op and feeling much better. Just have to get used to sipping my liquids slower. Although, watching the NFL playoff games and seeing all the tasty food commercials has me wanting to start chewing again. Can’t wait for my first real food meal, no matter how small the portion size might be in the beginning.

Today is 11 days post op and I’ve had serious cravings over the past two days. I started having a Protein Shake again which also helps the leg and foot cramps, then added a 4th meal a day. I also had a cup of broth in case I just needed salt. Yesterday it got so bad and I realized that I’ve been eating only yogurt and puréed cottage cheese so I got some smoked salmon and ate one ounce of it, that has set me back to rights again. Woke up feeling so much better this morning.
It’s been an adventure, we live in the Midwest and lost power Friday evening, we’ve been in a hotel since Saturday. I brought my scale and a small container so I could portion out yogurt or cottage cheese but didn’t have any meat or fish.
i don’t really feel hungry in my belly anymore, just a vague feeling of alarm that I need something. Most of the time I can just reassure myself but yesterday I knew it was hunger and that I needed something more substantial. The smoked salmon is very soft and I chewed it for forever, and I loved every moment of it🙂.

(Note: I’ve been on purées since the day after surgery, tomorrow is my 2 week post op appointment, and I would have blitzed the salmon but I’m just making do the best I can with the snowy adventures. I also ate scrambled egg at Denny’s, I measured out 2 ounces and just fork squished the heck out of it and that went well too.)

Edited by Lily2024
Add note

6 hours ago, Lily2024 said:

Today is 11 days post op and I’ve had serious cravings over the past two days. I started having a Protein Shake again which also helps the leg and foot cramps, then added a 4th meal a day. I also had a cup of broth in case I just needed salt. Yesterday it got so bad and I realized that I’ve been eating only yogurt and puréed cottage cheese so I got some smoked salmon and ate one ounce of it, that has set me back to rights again. Woke up feeling so much better this morning.
It’s been an adventure, we live in the Midwest and lost power Friday evening, we’ve been in a hotel since Saturday. I brought my scale and a small container so I could portion out yogurt or cottage cheese but didn’t have any meat or fish.
i don’t really feel hungry in my belly anymore, just a vague feeling of alarm that I need something. Most of the time I can just reassure myself but yesterday I knew it was hunger and that I needed something more substantial. The smoked salmon is very soft and I chewed it for forever, and I loved every moment of it🙂.

(Note: I’ve been on purées since the day after surgery, tomorrow is my 2 week post op appointment, and I would have blitzed the salmon but I’m just making do the best I can with the snowy adventures. I also ate scrambled egg at Denny’s, I measured out 2 ounces and just fork squished the heck out of it and that went well too.)

Really enjoyed reading your update. This is quite the learning curve isn’t it. All this AND snowy adventures 😅. It has started snowing here in Scotland too, hopefully no power cuts for me.

Distinguishing when I am actually hungry has become a bit of a thing for me too. Unfamiliar territory for sure. I am now 6 days post op and it’s been remarkably smooth for me, initially felt cheated as I fully expected to suffer and was adrift when I did not suffer beyond a few reminders now and then I had actually had surgery. No particular desire to suffer but at least I know how to cope with that… (endometriosis has dominated my life for years).

Last night I spent several hours ruminating over putting back on weight I have yet to loose. 🙈. The mantra for today is one day at a time 😂.

No cravings per se, I am instead having Soups, Protein Shakes, I had a soft scrambled egg which was delicious, soft cheese, yoghurt and fromage frais. Today has been busy and I did not eat until 6pm, (1x 500ml Protein Shake and 800ml of Water though) when I had a vague feeling of my stomach being empty. Tomorrow I was nourish myself better

issues I have encountered, a favourite yoghurt is no longer a favourite, eating jelly is not for me, eating slowly is better.

Best wishes to everyone. Lily2024 hope your power is back on soon xx

Surgery in 1.5 hours. Currently fighting LA traffic to get to the hospital. This is surreal.

You read all blogs and captions about how everyone is afraid they’ll fail and it’s normal. It’s so common. How everyone worries they won’t be able to adjust to new schedules, new ways of eating, not preparing enough before surgery, not practicing enough, etc. It makes you feel better until the time is here… and you’re in a car panicking that you didn't do enough. I’m just praying that it all falls into place.

I guess this is where I start reminding myself to “TRUST THE PROCESS”

Well kids, here we go!!!

We made it through the wilderness. Somehow we made it thru oo oo.

Home. But not before ugly crying the entire time while I waited to be wheeled in. Gas pain in my sternum. Threw up at the hospital. It sucks but it’s not the worst thing-there’s nothing in to throw up… so just sorta dry heaved a couple times. They tell you to not panic if there’s blood-completely normal.

now to try to find a rhythm and schedule for all the things to do.

someone said somewhere somewhere on the internet that if you’re sipping Water and it hurts or feels uncomfortable, play with the temp- it really does help. Leaving that lil nuggets of wisdom here for yall.