Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

I’ve got my date of December 20th! I’m so excited.
I stated this journey with my first consult on September 21st, 2023 it took one month to get things done and get a date. I have my preop class on November 8th to learn what all I can and can’t eat.

Anyone else have a December date?

December 27th here!

I started back in July when a visit to my doctor on the non-surgical side of the weight loss center yielded the suggestion that I consider surgery. I was all too happy to do so after 6 years of nutrition and then meds never yielded more than fleeting results. I did an immersion day in August where I learned all the rules, and then I needed appointments with psychologist and nutritionist before meeting with surgeon in early October.

I was hoping for mid-November, but the earliest they had was end of December so I'm making the best of it. My doctor only requires 2 days of liquid diet, which means I can Celebrate Christmas Eve but will be on Protein Shakes for Christmas, but not longer, which is nice. I'm grateful that the kids will be off school and won't need "Mom's Taxi Service" to get them to all their after school activities that week.

In the meantime, I've been working on my nutrition, slowly eliminating processed foods, added sugars, artificial sweeteners, breads, snack foods, etc. I've made a lot of progress ridding the house of unhealthy foods and adding more vegetables into my daily diet. I've also bought several bariatric cookbooks and have been choosing some recipes to try in the next 8 weeks so I have practice with them. I'm hoping a few will be winners with the kids, too. We're all working on getting better with nutrition and I'm glad to have them excited about trying new, healthier options.

Tenatively December 4th or 13th!

I started back in June. I asked my primary about bariatric surgery and he gave me the refferal and was in my bariatric consult within 5 day. They set up all my nutrition and psychologist appts the same day. Got the all clear from my nutritionist and psych and they have submitted to insurance for approval.

From the start I downloaded a food tracking app. Started tracking my food again since I'd stopped doing it years ago. Even taught my nutritionist about macros and modified body builder diets. And started upping my excerise. So far I've lost over 40 lbs going back on a modified style body builder diet and interested to see what I'll lose on my pre-op. The last couple weeks I've been pushing my Protein more as well so hitting about 50% protein (around 100-110g) daily. Also calories are running around 650 - 900 daily and thats even a struggle. Slowly getting my husband on board now and started trying out all differing kind of recipes, Protein Powder and supplements.

So far the Syntrax aren't bad (like the lemon tea and caribean cooler best), And I started following a handful of other baratric patients online (one had a DS, two had sleeves), and started aksing my friends who have undergone bariatric surgeries. Built Bars will by my travel go to as well as CleanSimpleEats greens. Learning all tips and trick as well on how to get my protein in and make sure it works for my husband as well. Also, I never carry a purse, only a wrist wallet. So to help me be successful I bought a nice tote/laptop bag that will be the bag I grab when ever we go out (errands/travel/etc.) This way I will always have Snacks, drinks, protein and Water enhancers on hand and I don't have to settle for something not great. Also got a nice large shaker cup and it even has a pocket for my water bottle.

So for my preop its 3 weeks and with my tenative date of Dec 4th, I won't be able to partake of thanksgiving unless it gets moved to Dec 13 and then I can have one thanksgiving dinner early in the week before I start pre-op. I'm actually getting more excited for the adventures my husband and I have planned and not having to think about how my weight will impact those.

1 hour ago, SmoknDudette said:

So far the Syntrax aren't bad (like the lemon tea and caribean cooler best),

Oh my goodness, Protein supplements have been an obsession. I bought a big tub of "chicken soup" and "latte" flavors early on and both of them were so awful. Anyone live in MA? I will gladly give them both to you. My nutritionist gave me samples of a few others to try from Unjury. Their chicken Soup was better. Not enough to buy it, but better.

I got a really good introductory deal on Syntrax Nectar Naturals, so I bought several flavors, and I love the peach the most so far. I've also liked the chai flavor of Ka'chava, though it's on the higher side for calories (240 with 25g protein) and has 7g fat instead of 5g as recommended by my doctor, so uncertain of whether I can use it. But it tastes really good. I also bought cherry limeade from Wicked protein (really refreshing) and pumpkin spice from Truvani (good, but their shipping takes a long time). I've specifically been trying to find ones without artificial sweeteners, which is so hard. I got two flavors from Vega, which were not too bad and pretty affordable. With all that, I should have some choices when the time comes.

Oh, I've also stocked up on Celebrate One 45 in tropical twist flavor, and bought their calcium chews, which are a nice treat. I like the fruit flavors best, like eating a Starburst candy.

You've inspired me to finally follow through on buying a new, bigger purse. I have been saying for a year that I need one, but now I have an ironclad excuse so I can carry a Water bottle. Staying hydrated is hard.

4 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

You've inspired me to finally follow through on buying a new, bigger purse. I have been saying for a year that I need one, but now I have an ironclad excuse so I can carry a water bottle. Staying hydrated is hard.

So happy you don't have an excuse now ;). Yeah hydration I think will be the hardest for me as well but I'm trying to be prepared and make sure I try things prior.

Have some Unjury coming as well. Decided I'd try their beef broth and root beer flavors. Nice thing with the samples is if you don't like it then you don't waste much :) . I'll check out Celebrate as well. Haven't figured out what calcium chews yet but my understanding is nothing chewy for at least 6 mo which also means no Protein Bars to fill in for a bit. I tried the Bariatric Fusion chicken Soup from my doctors office. Kinda like ramnen noodle flavor broth. Figure it won't hurt to offset all the sweet with something kinda savory. I got vanilla (so I can mix things with it), Orange cream and salted caramel.

12 minutes ago, SmoknDudette said:

Haven't figured out what calcium chews yet but my understanding is nothing chewy for at least 6 mo

Double check with your doctor because my nutritionist recommended those calcium chews starting at 2 weeks post-op along with the other Vitamins. (I have to stop all vitamins a couple weeks before surgery and then not take them again until after the 2 week check-up). The Celebrate ones taste like a chewy candy, but I think they dissolve very fast and are specifically for bariatric patients, so they are probably fine and not the same as a real candy would be. But yeah, Protein bars are so dense and dry, I can't imagine they would be good to eat for a long time. Which is sad because they're so convenient.

8 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

Double check with your doctor because my nutritionist recommended those calcium chews starting at 2 weeks post-op along with the other Vitamins.

Protein Bars are so dense and dry, I can't imagine they would be good to eat for a long time. Which is sad because they're so convenient.

I certainly will. I know the Vitamins they have me start 1 mo post op but will check on the calcium chews for sure.

And I agree on the Protein bars! So convient and the Built Bar Puffs are my fav! lol oh well. I can manage for a few months as I feel I will certainly be struggling to hit my other goals for a bit.

49 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

My nutritionist gave me samples of a few others to try from Unjury. Their chicken Soup was better. Not enough to buy it, but better.

I got a really good introductory deal on Syntrax Nectar Naturals, so I bought several flavors, and I love the peach the most so far.

I just ordered some of the Soup flavors from Unjury, I haven't tried them yet. Soon though!

My favorite Syntrax so far is the Fuzzy Navel flavor, but that one has sucralose in it. I've been wanting to try one of the Naturals but I hate the aftertaste of a lot of stevia in something. I wish they had samplers of it!

38 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

I wish they had samplers of it!

It makes me sad that the pandemic put a stop to the in-person support groups at my hospital (although there is talk of restarting next year). In the "before times" they used to do tasting parties where you could get together with other people at a similar stage in the process and try a bunch of samples of different products and flavors. If only we all lived in the same place, wouldn't it be great for everybody to bring a flavor of Protein powder for everyone to try, like a really weird potluck (or the world's saddest wine tasting)?

Just now, NickelChip said:

If only we all lived in the same place, wouldn't it be great for everybody to bring a flavor of Protein Powder for everyone to try, like a really weird potluck (or the world's saddest wine tasting)?

That would be EPIC!! LOL The meetings here are still online too. I have a good friend who is considering the surgery so I've been buying double samples of anything I find and setting aside one of each for her in case she decides to go through with it! But now I really want this world's weirdest potluck!

5 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

That would be EPIC!! LOL The meetings here are still online too. I have a good friend who is considering the surgery so I've been buying double samples of anything I find and setting aside one of each for her in case she decides to go through with it! But now I really want this world's weirdest potluck!

Same!

December 15th for me (SADI-S) and my husband has a date for December 1st (DS). We will both be in our last preop class Nov 22nd for preop diet. Soooooooo relieved we have just found out we only have to be on preop liquids for 1week 🙂

35 minutes ago, Becoming CVT juice said:

December 15th for me (SADI-S) and my husband has a date for December 1st (DS). We will both be in our last preop class Nov 22nd for preop diet. Soooooooo relieved we have just found out we only have to be on preop liquids for 1week 🙂

That's pretty cool that you're both doing it at almost the same time. Hopefully when one of you has a bad day, the other will be able to keep you both going, and you'll really understand what's going on.

That's the hope. I initially started doing the research to help him but learning more about it and doing it together was best for us. I'm just hoping 2 weeks is enough time to support each other physically.

I had my eye exam today and I was really hoping my prescription would be the same so I could hold off buying new glasses until after I've lost some weight. Unfortunately, based on the blurriness I've been getting when driving, I had a feeling it wouldn't turn out that way, and I was right. It was enough of a change that I couldn't get away with waiting. The whole time I was trying on new frames, I kept asking myself, "What will these look like if my face isn't so round?" It's hard enough choosing glasses as it is!