Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Buddies!

8 hours ago, Christineuk said:

Hi,

I'm feeling much better now..

The first few days we're awful but only nausea, I say only.. I was sitting on the edge of my bed thinking wtf have I done to myself... ( Bit of a drama queen 👑). But I got in touch with the Dr and got some anti sickness tablets (soluble) and within 24hrs I felt so much better.

The pre op diet takes some getting used too but on two occasions I had got 2 weeks into it and then it was cancelled. When it came to the last time, I was determined not to go off course and then when I got to the hospital they didn't even weigh me! So I don't know what my pre-op weight was. I'm just going by my pre-assessment weight.

I know it's different for everyone, but I don't actually feel like I am losing much weight 🤔. According to my home scales (which may not be any good), I have lost 16lb since my pre-assessment but like I said, I don't know how much of that was the pre op diet...

I was even thinking maybe they didn't even do the op just made incisions and it's all physicosymatic... Well you can see where my head is at 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Omg, i felt the same about them not doing it because i too didnt feel that full feeling or discomfort when i ate or drank im on week 3 post op puree/ soft diet 😅. The gas was real alot of belching my surgeon said that was normal. And yes it does get better i noticed yesterday that the gas qas not as bad. But im down about 15 lbs since the surgery i weigh every week on the same day so it helps . I told myself im not going to weigh agian til the end of the month just so i wont go bat **** crazy. You got this 👍. The process is real the journey is rewarding in the end

December 14th for me.
it’s now the 18th and I’m still on pain meds and my abdomen is super tender like an 8 on pain scale. I feel wimpy as I read others journeys but I also know that everyone has different experiences and healing times. Sipping 1 to 2 ounces at a time took me 2 days to finish a Gatorade. Finally able to chew my Calcium not 3 a day but got up to 2 daily.
I hope I’m not alone and it would be great to see others progress as well.

Hi Michelle,

My sleeve was also done on 12/14. I have abdominal tenderness still as well and still dealing with gas pains. You’re not alone! I’m still struggling to get in the Vitamins and to keep up with the Water intake. Small sips they say, but small sips don’t equal a lot of intake, at least for me. We can chat on the side if you’d like to keep in touch! :)

Savanna

Yes they gave me some medicine containers that are 1 oz size and told me not to drink from the bottle but from these. I do feel like I’m not getting enough in but when I do drink anything I get a bubble in my stomach. Also after surgery I found I had 2 busted lips . The swelling has gone down on my upper lip but my bottom lip is still tingly and swollen . Sigh and watching family members eat full meals is a little saddening .
how are you doing with walking and moving?

I am glad to read all of this. I bought small 2 oz plastic cups to use for my 2-3 weeks after. I also found Protein Powder that already has the required Vitamins in it so I won’t have to deal with them the first 2 weeks. I am hoping that after the two week mark and moving onto purée food that I will start to feel more comfortable. I have my Vitamin and calcium chews for that week start.

I am glad you guys have had a fairly successful time since surgery. I pray all of us have as good experiences.

That makes sense! I meant to bring some of those cups home but I forgot. My lip was busted after surgery as well. It seems to have gone down now, so that’s good! Hopefully yours will go down soon too. Where do you put your Protein powder? In your Water? I’ve been struggling to get the protein and water. I’m counting down the days till I can eat puréed foods and eventually solid foods again! Coming up on the holidays, this is going to be challenging. I just try to remind myself why of why I chose this path in the first place and knowing it will get better with time. Are any of you struggling with Constipation? I’ve not had a bowel movement since before the surgery (12/14) but I’m wondering if that’s normal because I really don’t have anything solid in my tummy? Should I add Miralax to my water? What are some of the liquids that you’ve found you like the most right now?

That’s a good idea! I was told that we could only do Clear Liquids for this first week post-op, but if I can do smoothies that would be so much better! It would be much easier to add the Protein powder to a smoothie or Protein Shake.

Just be careful what you put in them a make sure the are liquified good. Here are a couple I am going to make first. He one with Apple I am going to cook my Apple first to make it soft and take off the skin. The strawberries I am not sure about the seeds. So I might strain it just to make sure there isn’t any chucks. The letter in the color circle shows what stage these are for and F is full liquid.

IMG_4644.jpeg

IMG_4645.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

For me Gatorade lime cucumber has been my go to , bottled Water and the Protein Shakes I got are premade . I also have a timer set for 30 minutes to remind myself to sip something. And it’s time for another Calcium chew. Idk about you but they remind me of starburst texture but chalky. I went out and did errands now I’m tired. And I was told by my dr the pure liquid diet for 30 days

6 hours ago, sfugate89 said:

That’s a good idea! I was told that we could only do Clear Liquids for this first week post-op, but if I can do smoothies that would be so much better! It would be much easier to add the Protein Powder to a smoothie or Protein Shake.

Do you have a dietician? They should have some good recipes and give you some guidance on your post op diet. My Dr. requires liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery and two weeks after. Then move onto puree'. I have yet to have my surgery, but I have been on a pre op diet. 100-150 grams Protein 80-90 grams of carbs per day. Should have my surgery sometime late January

7 hours ago, Michelle 07V said:

Today is day 5po and I woke up so nauseous. Even the smell of my Protein Shake made it worse. Took my ondansetron and now waiting . Oh and Water made me 🤢 too , luckily no actual 🤮

I felt the same on day 5 Michelle, just take on what you can, especially the anti sickness meds and rest loads. It will pass x