Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2023 buddies

Broilerbob

I would have gone overboard with all that food. Good restraints you have

Cat

thanks. I am travelling to different places by car. But plane to Sydney. I was lucky to have a fridge. It took me 3 days to eat a very saucy pulled chicken korma.

so the surgeon is taking me back in for surgery #6 on the 28th March. He still isn’t happy with the results and progress. I have already held off on the bread, Pasta, rice, oil fried foods and carbonated drinks. But now I’m to try to have nothing carbohydrates and nothing sugary. Plus cut back on the yoghurt smoothies. It’s not leaving much for me to eat or drink. The fundoplication isn’t “flapping” like it should he said. But I told him I feel great. Just the regurgitation with everything I eat.

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in.. I am going next week for my 3 month post op appointment and for some reason I am feeling really down.. I don't feel like I have done enough, lost enough , or working out enough. I am going to buckle down a little more this week.. I have some meal planning to do and hope that I might lose a little bit more before this appointment..

On a good note.. I am now on bag number 3 of donation clothes, most of my closet is pretty cleaned out. looking at super cut summer clothes. I went shopping last night bought a new pair of jeans. I have gone from a size 26-24 2xl-3xl to an 18 pants, xl shirt. so excited for cloths shopping..

I hope everyone else is doing good...

Wow you have done great! I have only lost 4 pounds and I am feeling discouraged. I need knee replacement surgery and it is prohibiting me from a lot of exercise

1 hour ago, brandycsiz said:

Hey guys... I just wanted to check in.. I am going next week for my 3 month post op appointment and for some reason I am feeling really down.. I don't feel like I have done enough, lost enough , or working out enough. I am going to buckle down a little more this week.. I have some meal planning to do and hope that I might lose a little bit more before this appointment..

On a good note.. I am now on bag number 3 of donation clothes, most of my closet is pretty cleaned out. looking at super cut summer clothes. I went shopping last night bought a new pair of jeans. I have gone from a size 26-24 2xl-3xl to an 18 pants, xl shirt. so excited for cloths shopping..

Congrats! Sounds like you are making some good progress if you've gone through that many clothes!

30 minutes ago, Andrea RN said:

Wow you have done great! I have only lost 4 pounds and I am feeling discouraged. I need knee replacement surgery and it is prohibiting me from a lot of exercise

I can relate to both of you. I feel like I haven't made the progress I should be, but Long Covid has hurt my exercise efforts and constant brain fog is frustrating. I also hit a 6 week long stall that really brought me down. Thankfully that finally broke the last two weeks for me, but I still dont' have my strength back. A 2 mile walk pretty much drains me still, even though I was doing 4-5 miles at a time 4 weeks post-op before Covid.

EDIT: Based on continuing conversation in this thread, I just wanted to say I realize I have made good progress, but was trying to emphasize that I still have a mental block that, for some reason, prevents me from appreciating it. I've lost more weight than I was ever able to on my own, but at the same time feel physically weaker than any other point in my life despite trying to exercise. Also my start weight of 352 was from my highest ever weight in 2021, and not my pre-op diet weight of 321. Not trying to be dishonest, just trying to remind myself how bad off I was 2-3 years ago.

Edited by SomeBigGuy

14 minutes ago, Andrea RN said:

Andrea, have you lost just the 4 lbs from your surgery weight in November? Or do you mean in the last week/month?

1 hour ago, brandycsiz said:

I'm a little confused. According to your sidebar you've lost almost 100 lbs in 3 months?? How much were you expecting to lose? I'm guessing your surgery weight was different than your starting weight. To put this in a bit of perspective, I had surgery almost a month before you (Nov. 1st), my highest weight was 320 but my surgery weight was 307 and I'm currently at 251!! And my weight loss is considered quite a good pace and certainly within the realms of an excellent result thus far. That change in clothing size is way more important than a number on the scale!

Feelings with these surgeries are tough because for some reason our brains expect years of weight to take a few weeks to come off. LOL Everyone thinks they need to lose faster, even the fastest losers among us. Everyone thinks they should be further along, even if they are quite far. We have really high expectations of ourselves and our bodies, probably in part from years of everyone else having unrealistic expectations of us and our bodies. This surgery is an opportunity to give ourselves a bit more kindness and compassion, and maybe recalibrate our expectations. Healing takes time. Even with surgery, weight loss takes time. And the entire process is SOOOO frustrating! I get it, I experience frustration on a regular basis. Today I was lamenting the fact that suddenly my boobs have flattened like pancakes. 😢😂

43 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

I'm a little confused. According to your sidebar you've lost almost 100 lbs in 3 months?? How much were you expecting to lose? I'm guessing your surgery weight was different than your starting weight. To put this in a bit of perspective, I had surgery almost a month before you (Nov. 1st), my highest weight was 320 but my surgery weight was 307 and I'm currently at 251!! And my weight loss is considered quite a good pace and certainly within the realms of an excellent result thus far. That change in clothing size is way more important than a number on the scale!

Feelings with these surgeries are tough because for some reason our brains expect years of weight to take a few weeks to come off. LOL Everyone thinks they need to lose faster, even the fastest losers among us. Everyone thinks they should be further along, even if they are quite far. We have really high expectations of ourselves and our bodies, probably in part from years of everyone else having unrealistic expectations of us and our bodies. This surgery is an opportunity to give ourselves a bit more kindness and compassion, and maybe recalibrate our expectations. Healing takes time. Even with surgery, weight loss takes time. And the entire process is SOOOO frustrating! I get it, I experience frustration on a regular basis. Today I was lamenting the fact that suddenly my boobs have flattened like pancakes. 😢😂

I have lost almost 100lbs since I start the process 3 years ago ( when I first started playing with the idea of having surgery) .. since my surgery I am down 43lbs.. I wish there was a way to add those dates to the tracker. According to my status on the Baritastic App I am averaging about 2lbs a week. I think I am just so worried about failing, or disappointing my surgeon/medical team.

Thank you for the boost of confidence.. your stats are amazing.. my boobs are starting to get flat too ( next shoping experience is bra's)

43 minutes ago, brandycsiz said:

I have lost almost 100lbs since I start the process 3 years ago ( when I first started playing with the idea of having surgery) .. since my surgery I am down 43lbs.. I wish there was a way to add those dates to the tracker. According to my status on the Baritastic App I am averaging about 2lbs a week. I think I am just so worried about failing, or disappointing my surgeon/medical team.

Thank you for the boost of confidence.. your stats are amazing.. my boobs are starting to get flat too ( next shoping experience is bra's)

2 lbs a week is considered "rapid weight loss". I know it doesn't seem like it, especially when comparing to others progress, but it is true...

By 3 months you want to have lost 25% of your excess weight to be "average" and right on target, though even if you aren't at 25% lost there is still hope, because some people lose very slowly the first 3 months, then pick up the pace. If your surgery weight was somewhere around 286 and your goal is 150, your excess weight is 136 lbs. 25% of this would be 34 lbs. You have lost 43 lbs. So you have actually lost 32% of your excess weight! That is excellent!! You are ahead of schedule...

Percentages IMO are much better to use than actual lbs lost because it is the percentages that really show you where you are! And on a funny note, I was exactly where you are at 3 months--43 lbs lost, 137 lbs excess weight, so 32% towards my goal weight! LOL Your team should be thrilled!

Sorry your boobs are going south too... A good bra does help, I am losing fast in the band size for some reason, I have to buy a new bra every month! LOL

Hi all,

I am down mentally. I am done with being away from home. And the body is not get a lot of nutrition. I don’t feel like I’m loosing anything. But haven’t been near scales to weigh.
I’ve joined the flat boob club.
and have noticed my hair is so much more curlier and bouncy

brandy you are doing good.

Wow you have done great! I have only lost 40 pounds and I am feeling discouraged. I need knee replacement surgery and it is prohibiting me from a lot of exercise

Wow you have done great! I have only lost 40 pounds and I am feeling discouraged. I need knee replacement surgery and it is prohibiting me from a lot of exercise

So today I hit a milestone I didn't expect so soon---I've officially lost 50% towards my goal weight!!! 😭

I've lost 76 lbs since my highest weight (320) and 63 lbs since surgery (307). I'm stunned honestly. I've had some stalls and my weight loss has been slower than some others but my doctors kept telling me to stay the course, that my weight loss was right on track. Well, now it seems I've caught up and am ahead of the game! It feels so unreal...

Here's a pic of me pre-op and two from today!

preopgreyfront.jpg

50percentdown.jpg

50percentdownface.JPG

7 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

So today I hit a milestone I didn't expect so soon---I've officially lost 50% towards my goal weight!!! 😭

I've lost 76 lbs since my highest weight (320) and 63 lbs since surgery (307). I'm stunned honestly. I've had some stalls and my weight loss has been slower than some others but my doctors kept telling me to stay the course, that my weight loss was right on track. Well, now it seems I've caught up and am ahead of the game! It feels so unreal...

Here's a pic of me pre-op and two from today!

preopgreyfront.jpg

50percentdown.jpg

50percentdownface.JPG

Looking great, and I love the hair color!

4 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

Looking great, and I love the hair color!

Thank you!! I think it is one of my favorite colors yet!

You look fantastic! :)