Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2023 buddies

On 10/24/2023 at 12:34 PM, Meisha said:

Hey y’all! My dietician told me about this site and I’m thrilled to have this great resource at my fingertips! I’m driving to Alabama in November for VSG (my insurance won’t pay for any of this - Alabama had very “reasonable” self-pay rates). I’m nervous about the long drive home 2 days after surgery. Any suggestions are appreciated!

How did the drive home go??

Wishing you all the best.

25 minutes ago, Longview Lady said:

I was told no yogurt, no pudding. I'm on day '1' of liquid diet and this evening having issues... I'm hungry! Blended Soups? ? I talk with the nurse tomorrow and will be asking about blended Soups and bisques. so hungry :(

I've had only 2 shakes so far, 1 cup of chicken Bone Broth, and a couple single sugar free popsicles. Getting ready to have another cup of 'bone broth' and will have another shake a lil later.

How many shakes are you supposed to have a day? My plan was 5 shakes, nothing else but Water, tea, coffee, nut milks. Keeping hydrated helped me a lot. The hunger is real! Some of it is your body being hungry, some of it is head hunger. Head hunger is a trip! It gets easier with every day that passes, but the first few days can be pretty rough. Some plans allow for strained soups and such, so it is worth asking the nurse about!

@BoilerBob Glad to hear things are continuing to go well! I get the gurgling from Water sometimes too, I have no clue when it goes away. LOL

@ChipB How are the gas pains feeling now? Are you in the hospital for another night or did they send you home?

@ZeeGee Yay!!! So happy to see your post! Rest well and keep up that sipping and walking, you'll feel so much better for it.

9 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

How many shakes are you supposed to have a day? My plan was 5 shakes, nothing else but Water, tea, coffee, nut milks. Keeping hydrated helped me a lot. The hunger is real! Some of it is your body being hungry, some of it is head hunger. Head hunger is a trip! It gets easier with every day that passes, but the first few days can be pretty rough. Some plans allow for strained Soups and such, so it is worth asking the nurse about!

Hi CCat,

This is my first day on liquid diet and guess I should've reviewed, again, the sample meal plan. Today I have had 2 cups of sf hot coco this morning, 1 Premier Protein drink, 2 single sf popsicles, lunch had 1 cup Bone Broth, then 1 more Protein Drink, and now had a cup of bone broth for dinner. AND...now that I look at the sample meal plan I have certainly short changed myself big time. lol. The Kaiser meal plan has approx. 5 to 6 Protein Shakes daily, Jello. **** almighty, no wonder I'm frigg'n starved right now. lol.

18 minutes ago, ChipB said:

anyone get hiccups day one

I got hiccups right now lol

I’ve only been doing 2 shakes since my goal is 70g of Protein. Otherwise it has been chicken stock with some rosemary salt or Water. I had a yogurt last night and definitely hit a wall with that one.

My main worry right now is Constipation. I’m supposed to take colace twice a day and have only taken a few opioid pills and still nothing since surgery. I might give my team a call today before the weekend hits. Had some Decaf hot coffee from Starbucks today to see if that would help and it hasn’t so far.

17 minutes ago, BoilerBob said:

I’ve only been doing 2 shakes since my goal is 70g of Protein. Otherwise it has been chicken stock with some rosemary salt or Water. I had a yogurt last night and definitely hit a wall with that one.

My main worry right now is Constipation. I’m supposed to take colace twice a day and have only taken a few opioid pills and still nothing since surgery. I might give my team a call today before the weekend hits. Had some Decaf hot coffee from Starbucks today to see if that would help and it hasn’t so far.

Miralax is what I take when I get worried. Some vets take it daily. I haven't had to do that but I do know it is very important not to get backed up. I usually take a dose or two and then wait, sometimes it takes hours to kick in but it always kicks in. LOL If Miralax doesn't work you could try Milk of Magnesia, it is a stimulant to the bowels so it'll move things along, you just don't want to take it long term to rely on bowel function.

13 hours ago, Longview Lady said:

This is my first day on liquid diet and guess I should've reviewed, again, the sample meal plan. Today I have had 2 cups of sf hot coco this morning, 1 Premier Protein drink, 2 single sf popsicles, lunch had 1 cup Bone Broth, then 1 more Protein Drink, and now had a cup of bone broth for dinner. AND...now that I look at the sample meal plan I have certainly short changed myself big time. lol. The Kaiser meal plan has approx. 5 to 6 Protein Shakes daily, Jello. **** almighty, no wonder I'm frigg'n starved right now. lol.

Yes, that's a big difference!! LOL You should be getting a shake about every 3 hours. I had to really keep on top of mine or I'd end the evening having to chug two! It gets you into the habit of eating 5 times a day, which you'll need after surgery. Good luck! Hope today is better than yesterday!

I had my 2 week follow up with my surgeon yesterday! Incisions are healing well, tummy is doing better, he cleared me to move to purees and said if I wanted to I could even try fish or eggs prepared soft since they both are relatively soft on the digestive system, though some don't do well on eggs. I had yogurt yesterday and it went down well, so last night I had some tuna fish and it was fine too!!

No more awful twisting pains, just a dull ache if I eat or drink too fast. I'm so thankful I took that two weeks on fluids, I wouldn't have done as well if it was only one week. I needed the extra week to heal and let some swelling go down.

I officially have lost 15 lbs since surgery. That's 29 lbs since my highest weight! The last time I lost 30 lbs was 20 years ago. I'm so amazed. I'm not losing super fast but that's okay, I'm good with slow as long as it is steady... I had enough energy to go through the grocery store yesterday!! I haven't been able to do that in a few years. It was just 45 minutes of walking and standing but it is such an improvement. I'm really grateful for all this. So glad I had the surgery...

1 hour ago, ChunkCat said:

I had my 2 week follow up with my surgeon yesterday! Incisions are healing well, tummy is doing better, he cleared me to move to purees and said if I wanted to I could even try fish or eggs prepared soft since they both are relatively soft on the digestive system, though some don't do well on eggs. I had yogurt yesterday and it went down well, so last night I had some tuna fish and it was fine too!!

No more awful twisting pains, just a dull ache if I eat or drink too fast. I'm so thankful I took that two weeks on fluids, I wouldn't have done as well if it was only one week. I needed the extra week to heal and let some swelling go down.

I officially have lost 15 lbs since surgery. That's 29 lbs since my highest weight! The last time I lost 30 lbs was 20 years ago. I'm so amazed. I'm not losing super fast but that's okay, I'm good with slow as long as it is steady... I had enough energy to go through the grocery store yesterday!! I haven't been able to do that in a few years. It was just 45 minutes of walking and standing but it is such an improvement. I'm really grateful for all this. So glad I had the surgery...

So very happy for you. Enjoy the fish and eggs :) :) Keep up the good work.

On 11/13/2023 at 16:30, BoilerBob said:

Hey all. Post op and everything is looking good so far. Most of my pain is what I’m assuming is the gas in my chest. They are watching me to make sure it isn’t anything more but one broth and sugar free popsicle down.

I had my sleeve on the 13th and my gas settled in my chest constantly. Never went anywhere else but it is basically gone now. Plenty of walking has helped it absorb

On 11/17/2023 at 12:11, ChunkCat said:

So glad to hear the update and you doing so well. It does encourage me that these twisting pains every time I take a drink will go away.

24 minutes ago, tohaveserenity@msn.com said:

So glad to hear the update and you doing so well. It does encourage me that these twisting pains every time I take a drink will go away.

They will, hang in there!! Mine just faded in the last two or three days and my surgery was on the 1st of Nov. I have read in several places that they usually fade between two and three weeks out, especially if you are on a PPI.

So I just got home and what’s the first thing that happens?
I vomited 😩