Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2023 buddies

7 minutes ago, Sarah-inayear said:

That's great! Just a few days away now! I'm so excited and just ready for it to be here. I work Monday and Tuesday, but took Wednesday off to get my house and everything cleaned and in order for when I come back from the hospital. Are you feeling ready?

That’s the same thing I’m doing lol

I am more than ready 🎉 got my hospital bag already packed and ready to go. The surgery center will call me Wednesday evening to let me know what time I’m scheduled to come in Thursday but apart from that I AM SO READYYYY 😊

23 hours ago, cvazquez said:

Have my sleeve on 11/20

Same here! Good luck with your surgery!

Congratulations everyone! I consider myself a veteran almost 6 months after my gastric bypass. Getting this surgery was the best decision of my life! Whatever you are going through, hating your liquid diet, pre op fear, post op pain, stool issues after surgery, fear of the surgery itself (I was so scared that I considered not doing it until the moment they rolled me in the operating room), please remember that is ALL worth it. My diabetes went away after 15 years of Metformin and Insulin, and for the first time in over 10 years ALL my annual health test came back perfect in the normal range. You will do great!

Dates are getting close guys, I'm so excited for you!! I'm almost 2 weeks post surgery, mine was on Nov. 1st.

I'm still on liquids and still getting the weird tummy spasms but I can now get some Protein Drinks in so that's progress!! Still hitting my fluid goals daily. I cannot stress this enough, try everything you can to hit your Fluid goals post surgery and remember ALL fluid counts towards it, even Protein Shakes, broths, Soups, etc... Being hydrated really helps things. Vary your fluids, use flavoring powders and Decaf tea and decaf coffee, it helps you feel like you aren't just chugging along on one thing.

I'm less sore this week abdominally so that's nice, less episodes of nausea so that's good too. Yesterday I was able to lay on my side for a bit with a pillow supporting my tummy. It felt sooo good, I'm so tired of laying on my back! I will tell you though one thing that has helped a lot is that our bed is on a platform that elevates the feet or head, so we've had the head elevated since my surgery. sleeping on an incline has helped a lot with the pain and I seem to rest better with my head raised some. You can mimic this with pillows!

Oh, and while you are in the hospital, if they don't do it automatically, ask for a script for a proton pump inhibitor. It will help with the over acidity that new tummies seem to deal with and you won't get reflux when you lay down at night. You can wean off after a few months once everything settles down, but I've noticed consistently that those who don't get prescribed these after surgery tend to have more indigestion and reflux post surgery as they are recovering, so something to think about.

Hey all. Post op and everything is looking good so far. Most of my pain is what I’m assuming is the gas in my chest. They are watching me to make sure it isn’t anything more but one broth and sugar free popsicle down.

1 minute ago, BoilerBob said:

Hey all. Post op and everything is looking good so far. Most of my pain is what I’m assuming is the gas in my chest. They are watching me to make sure it isn’t anything more but one broth and sugar free popsicle down.

Yaaaay!! You can do this Bob!! Yes, that gas pain was all in my chest. Walking helped SO much with it, even just little walks down the hall and back. Plus they made me sit up in a chair for a while, that helped too.

Good to know about walking. I’ve already done a loop around the floor but need to do another soon.

BTW, final tally was down 30 pounds on the month pre op diet.

They are dangling sending me home today as long as I can eat. Just had some cream of wheat and yogurt. Haven’t had too much nausea but they are keeping me on steady zofran and a scopolamine.

Just came back from my Pre-Op appointment... starting my diet next Wednesday for sx on 29th... making my final list of things that I need....

How you doing @BoilerBob?? Did they end up sending you home or are you captive for another night? How's the pain and nausea? Getting your fluids in?

Yup I’m home. Oh how I will miss the midnight blood draws. Nausea is fairly controlled. I drank one Protein Shake when I got home and am still nursing my dinner shake. Pain isn’t too bad and they have me controlling it with Motrin and Tylenol. They also sent me home with 5 oxy just in case but told me that if pain was much worse at home to call them. I haven’t been drinking much else at home. I was sipping Water fairly decently at the hospital and they also loaded me up with IV saline to cover a few low hydration days.

How are you doing ChunkCat?

4 minutes ago, BoilerBob said:

Yup I’m home. Oh how I will miss the midnight blood draws. Nausea is fairly controlled. I drank one Protein Shake when I got home and am still nursing my dinner shake. Pain isn’t too bad and they have me controlling it with Motrin and Tylenol. They also sent me home with 5 oxy just in case but told me that if pain was much worse at home to call them. I haven’t been drinking much else at home. I was sipping Water fairly decently at the hospital and they also loaded me up with IV saline to cover a few low hydration days.

How are you doing ChunkCat?

Yay! Great job!! Make sure to get that Water in, it will prevent headaches and keep you out of the hospital. Good for you getting shakes in, I can just barely get one in 2 weeks out! LOL Glad your pain is well controlled.

I'm doing good, thanks! Hoping to move to purees Thursday after I see the surgeon at my follow up. Pain is greatly reduced and soreness is starting to fade. Incisions had an allergic reaction to the glue but the cream they prescribed calmed it down fast. They look great now! Still getting my water in. Had to change my electrolyte formula because the one I was taking had a lot of magnesium in it and was sending me straight to the bathroom with awful diarrhea every time I took it! LOL I found a new one that is working much better now. I weirdly feel like I have more energy now than I did before surgery and I'm not sure how that's possible. I have chronic fatigue syndrome so any boost in energy is VERY welcome. I'm sleeping better too. I hear some people do really well in ketosis, I guess I'm one of them. I'm really thankful for that. I've never been able to get my body to go into ketosis before! So glad I had this surgery...

😥I am on week 2 of my PRE-OP and it’s purée foods for 4 days.

I am on day 1 and I finished my lunch portion at 7pm - it’s so gross to me 😭

I don’t know how I’ll survive these 4 days and then have to do it again Post -Op.

17 minutes ago, muyfancy said:

😥I am on week 2 of my PRE-OP and it’s purée foods for 4 days.

I am on day 1 and I finished my lunch portion at 7pm - it’s so gross to me 😭

I don’t know how I’ll survive these 4 days and then have to do it again Post -Op.

It could always be worse lol my 2 week pre-op is only liquids no puréed foods allowed for me and no veggies or fruits allowed 😩. Tomorrow is my last day but I can only have clear fluids tomorrow. All I keep thinking is this is all worth it in the end.

I know it seems hard in the beginning but it does get easier ❤️

Just now, ZeeGee said:

It could always be worse lol my 2 week pre-op is only liquids no puréed foods allowed for me and no veggies or fruits allowed 😩. Tomorrow is my last day but I can only have clear fluids tomorrow. All I keep thinking is this is all worth it in the end.

I know it seems hard in the beginning but it does get easier ❤️

I hope so! I’m so close to asking if I can just do a week of liquids LOL I think it’s a texture thing for me.

Good luck to you!! We will get through this. And yes it will be worth it in the end!!!

keep us posted🩷