Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do you do when you have a falling out with surgeon post-op?

About 3 weeks ago I had a gastric bypass. At the 1 week followup the surgeon really disrespected me. So much so that me a man was on the verge of tears because nobody has ever talked to me that way in my entire life. I have it right back to the doctor and told him about his poor bedside manner, etc, etc. He really didn't like that and said I disrespected him.

I apologized to him but he never apologized to me. I told him I hope we can go forward and he said we could. I needed to call the emergency number a week ago because of something happening. He was very cold and said he couldn't help me. I was polite and professional.

I've been having some side effects from that incident and my surgery. I felt that if I could just ask some questions I'd be a lot less stressed day to day. But so far my emails to the team have been ignored. Some by weeks and another by days.

I'm not sure what to do here. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have tried to call.other surgeons but the receptionists just say I need to stay with my doctor.

If you feel uncomfortable, you can change surgeons for your post-op appointments. Or perhaps, do they have another doctor on the same team that you can schedule with instead? I never see my original surgeon, they had me visit with another doctor each time unless I specifically ask to see him. After the 3 mo, 6 mo and one year post-op, there is no need to go back. In the future, I would only go back if I developed some serious symptoms. But even when searching for surgeons for my procedure, I would have no qualms changing surgeons/teams because I absolutely have to feel comfortable with whoever I am with.

I did ask some surgeons but it seems like they didn't want to take me. I didn't ask them directly, just the person who picked up phone. So I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try more.

Thank you

2 hours ago, partridge-pear said:

my emails to the team have been ignored. Some by weeks and another by days.

That is unprofessional and scary to think if you had needed medical attention. Of course, if serious you can go to your nearest ER but your bariatric team should be available to you 24/7 for advice and to answer any and all questions you may have.

You have every right to request a different doctor for follow-up care. Especially when he tells you he can't help you and doesn't answer emails. Recovery is hard enough without having to worry if he's got your back or best interests at heart.

GL!!

WOW. That is very unbecoming of a medical establishment and surgical team. Regardless of some exchanged words, you are recovering from a pretty major surgery and there are tons of follow-ups in the first year for a reason. I would say if your requests to change surgeons and get answers to questions continues I would speak with a patient care advocate. Obviously major concerns in the moment should prompt an ER visit, but it would take longer for a general ER doc to understand the potential issues of a bariatric patient post-op.

I certainly hope it works out for you and that you have your stresses lessened.

I am pre op so have never been in your shoes. I'm so sorry to hear about your poor treatment, especially at such a vulnerable time. I had a similar situation, had a falling out with the nurse at my surgeon's office this week and my 8/15 surgery was cancelled. When I expressed my concerns it was all turned around on me.

When they told me they were cancelling my surgery, after I was already off meds and on a liquid diet I had a major breakdown. I reached out to my primary care doctor - thinking I was seeking help for anxiety, but she was able to help me find a new surgeon and I now have a consult booked 8/23 and am hopeful again. Do you have a primary care provider who can intervene on your behalf to assist you to find a new provider for follow up care by any chance?

I'm sending positive thoughts your way that you get the respectful treatment and care you deserve!

Do you have any updates on how things have been going?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches