Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! When did everyone have their first sip post surgery? I’m 7 months out now & on vacation. I want to have one cocktail but I’m kind of nervous since I have drank in forever and I don’t eat much.

my clinic said to wait for a year - but I waited three years. Just be aware that it's likely to hit you much faster than it did pre-surgery. I really feel the effects after just one glass of wine now.

I waited six months, make sure you're wherever you're ending up for the evening when you try it. Guaranteed it's going to smack you pretty hard the first time.

Oh wow this is one of those things on which different programmes are so very different!

I was cleared to have a glass or two of wine 7 weeks post op (xmas though so that might have accelerated my request). And I have had *some* alcohol on one or two days pretty much every week since then.

Honestly I don't think it has held me back at all. I know this might be very different for others though.

Can't see that one or two drinks on a holiday will impede your progress.

Hope you have a lovely holiday OP!

In my paperwork the instructions we were given were to take a Prilosec before and after drinking- to keep the stomach acid under control. I haven’t tried it yet, but im not a big drinker anyway.

It was at about two months. I had a gin & tonic which I sipped for hours - not kidding. Then it was another couple of months before I had another. I actually sort of lost my taste for it. Four years out & I still don’t drink often - usually a glass about once a month (except last weekend with girlfriends & a wedding - was a glass & a half of champagne each day for three days).

A glass or two while you’re away likely won’t hurt. But do check with your team because plans differ. Remember it does slow your metabolism & the effects of the alcohol may be stronger & you may feel the effects more quickly. Track the calories & keep your non alcoholic fluids up.

Edited by Arabesque

I was cleared to drink alcohol at 3 months post-op which was right on July 4th. I made a mix of sugar free Cranberry juice and a shot of vodka. Tasted good, didn't make me drunk, sick or passed out. But made sure I ate something beforehand and drank very slowly.

Have fun!!

I had a Bloody Mary at 2 months out while on holiday. I drank it slow and it was delicious. The buzz didn't last long but it was ok.

Its a holiday, I would

I was told a year, but I sipped a beer at about 6 weeks, hated the taste and still do 8 months post op. Had my first official drink 8 weeks post op, a margarita with lots of ice to dilute the drink. It will hit you fast, 2 sips in and I started to feel a tingling sensation in my nape, that's how I still know I'm getting tipsy. I did notice that even though it hits faster, it also metabolizes faster.

I tasted wine about 4 months post op, prefer not to do it, cheap wine its not the way to go, my palate separates the alcohol and it taste like a sip of juice, followed by a sip of alcohol. Since then, I had done a skinny mojito twice. I do try to limit the amount of alcohol I'm consuming because of the empty calories, and because I do not want to go back to bad habits, socially I think is fine.

I was told 8 months with the sleeve and 1 year with the bypass, but I don't drink (don't like the taste and don't see the point in it, to be honest) so I don't partake at all. I was told to sip it very slowly and be prepared for it to hit harder and faster than normal. But again, I don't drink, so I wasn't worried about it.

I'll have what Babyspoons is having ! I'm only 2 months out,but I'm looking forward to sitting on my deck with my dogs,having a drink,watching the birds and listening to my radio. I hate even asking my doc - I'm afraid he'll think "why is she in so much hurry to have a drink?" Same with asking for something for pain .... they make you feel guilty for asking.

I was told 6 months by my doc, but made it 2. Went on a trip to Italy and drank 2-4 glasses of wine a day (never more than 2 at a time for lunch and/or dinner), then another trip to the beach where I consumed quite a few frozen cocktails. I learned pretty quickly to stay away from the heavy cream type of cocktails as they filled me up and made me not feel great. With the cocktails, I also got a real dry mouth sensation an hour or so after stopping. Now that I am back home, I'll stay away from the empty calories until at least 6 months, but hopefully until I am at my goal weight.