Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Aversions After Surgery

On 7/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, KDT10 said:

hahaha. I still love pictures of burgers, but the thought of biting one terrifies me. I truly am just in search of anything I can tolerate. I’m super early in this journey but I’ve lost over 40 pounds since the surgery and most of the time I just feel weak. Hope to find some resolution soon. Thanks so much for the response, this was my first post.

I’m 5 weeks out and I have caved to some temptations but in tiny doses. I ate a single fricken tater tot! It was delicious. I bought a burger and ate just a few bites of the meat and cheese. Then I took a big bite of the burger and bun and chewed on it then spit it out. I didn’t want to cause the aftermath of actually eating/swallowing said burger so I just savored it in my mouth and enjoyed the chewing.
Anyone else done this?

9 minutes ago, TheMe-ISee said:

“Then I took a big bite of the burger and bun and chewed on it then spit it out. I didn’t want to cause the aftermath of actually eating/swallowing said burger so I just savored it in my mouth and enjoyed the chewing.”
Anyone else done this?

Early on, like 2 weeks post op, I toasted some sourdough bread and buttered it. The crunch and the aroma of fresh bread with the salty butter… I took 5 glorious bites, chewed each one and spit it out.

I haven’t felt the need to do this again since then but I’m sure it’s a fairly common occurrence. Hugs to all!!

I can more or less tolerate anything now, but there are a surprising number of things I don't want anymore. I lived on fast food pre-op. Now, I have zero interest in burgers, fries, and such. I might have the occasional pastry item, but it is very easy for me to go to a bakery and not get anything or see a plate of Cookies and not grab one. Unheard of pre-op! On the flip side, I never was really keen on ice cream pre-op. Now, I love it. It's one of the few sweets that goes down easily.

It’s funny how my old favorites are now my aversions. eggs, tuna, fries, meats, broccoli, Pasta.

I can't stand cottage cheese now. I used to crave it before!

I don't really have an aversion to any food. I don't particularly crave sweet things though, like chocolates, lollies and baked goods. It'd be good if that lasted! If I get a rare sugar craving something like an orange usually satisfies it. I definitely don't hanker for fast food like I used too either, I'm eating great and am enjoying what I'm making.

The only aversion (taste wise) I've had so far, early on, I couldn't drink Crystal Light. Just plain clear Water. It was too sweet. Now I drink CL Raspberry Tea and half a packet of different flavors in my Protein smoothies.

My tummy on the other hand has major aversions to raw veggies except for baby carrots. Unless they are fully cooked and peeled. I really miss cold crisp salads. Someday....

It's funny how we're all different! I bought a load of Protein Shakes before my surgery and I can't stand them post mini gastric bypass! I also don't do well with lactose so I now use lactose free milk. I don't have such a sweet tooth as I did prior to surgery but I am craving savoury things - especially anything cheese flavoured!

I have developed a few food aversions since my surgery 18 months ago. On top of the list are fries and scrambled eggs. I can't seem to be able digest it anymore and it will sit like a stone in my stomach. Other aversions include deep fried in general and specially chicken (I'm not too worried about this haha), cucumbers with skin on (strange much) and pizza.

Edited by omrhsn

I'm 4 months post op and I really don't have any food aversions. Only immediately after surgery the next few days everything tasted awful - the Protein Shakes, the calcium chews and the chewable vitamins were torture. I believe it's the anesthesia. After that period, things were fine. I was sick of eating certain things because of repetition in the pureed stage and then soft foods stage, but not that it tasted bad.

Since I started on modified regular foods, nothing so far has not been bad. I have not tried to even eat bread. It's my absolute favorite carb in every sense of the word, but I know it's not time for it just yet. Fried foods I also haven't tried to eat.

Beer is actually ok with me. Takes me a little longer to make it through one - which is a good thing overall. But I can't really do seltzer or hard seltzer. It's way too bubbly. Took me an hour to get through half a can. I try to stay away from high sugar items and have tolerated a number of sugar free things with trial and error. I did have a regular sugary cocktail off the menu the other night at my friends birthday dinner and surprisingly tolerated it just fine. It just still takes me longer to drink it, which again is ok by me.

This entire lifestyle is a matter of trial and error. We learn from our medical team, from one another on these forums and our own bodies.

So yeah, now I'm playing the waiting game and patiently awaiting surgery day. In the meantime, I am wondering what food aversions I will end up with. I know after having the gallbladder removal, there are already tons of foods I can't stand or just can't eat all together. So, for my recovery liquids, I decided to not go all out and buy a bunch of things and sit and wait. I suppose broth would be good to keep around and no sugary Jello mix. But beyond that I don't want to spend money on things I may not need or like after. Thinking might be best to wait to see what I can stand while in hospital. Then order or send my husband to get things? If anyone's reading, this...what do you recommend? Did you buy a bunch of things, or wait?

3 hours ago, BlissSm12 said:

So yeah, now I'm playing the waiting game and patiently awaiting surgery day. In the meantime, I am wondering what food aversions I will end up with. I know after having the gallbladder removal, there are already tons of foods I can't stand or just can't eat all together. So, for my recovery liquids, I decided to not go all out and buy a bunch of things and sit and wait. I suppose broth would be good to keep around and no sugary Jello mix. But beyond that I don't want to spend money on things I may not need or like after. Thinking might be best to wait to see what I can stand while in hospital. Then order or send my husband to get things? If anyone's reading, this...what do you recommend? Did you buy a bunch of things, or wait?

I think you are smart to wait. I would get a few things to have at the ready, but don’t go crazy. Like with Protein Shakes, if you have the option of getting single ones or a 4 pack of different brands to see what you might tolerate after. broth is good and mostly won’t go to waste.
I mistakenly bought a case of Recovery Water and I can’t stand the taste.
I would just say to just be sure to have your Vitamins and Calcium ready and the foods you can sort out later. I know every program is different and some people start vitamins at different times. I started the day after I came home from the hospital. I also wasn’t on a liquid diet after surgery, but went straight to puréed stage. So mostly cottage cheese, yogurt, puréed Soups and the shakes.

Best of luck!

3 hours ago, BlissSm12 said:

I think you are smart to wait. I would get a few things to have at the ready, but don’t go crazy. Like with Protein Shakes, if you have the option of getting single ones or a 4 pack of different brands to see what you might tolerate after. broth is good and mostly won’t go to waste.
I mistakenly bought a case of Recovery Water and I can’t stand the taste.
I would just say to just be sure to have your Vitamins and Calcium ready and the foods you can sort out later. I know every program is different and some people start vitamins at different times. I started the day after I came home from the hospital. I also wasn’t on a liquid diet after surgery, but went straight to puréed stage. So mostly cottage cheese, yogurt, puréed Soups and the shakes.

Best of luck!