Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering how long any of your stalls have lasted. I'm 25 days out of surgery (sleeve to bypass revision), and I'm still at the same weight from July 3rd. Literally, not a single decimal point down. Here's what my nutrition looks like: Calories-500, Protein-60g, Carbs-<40. I'm having an issue with Fiber and Constipation (1 bowel movement every other day), but yesterday I started using Benefiber packets. I also ordered some Protein Shakes that have 4g fiber and some that have 10g fiber. Since I start work August 8th, I won't have time to eat an actual Breakfast, so I'm planning on using the Protein shakes in place of my coffee in the mornings. Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?

Edited by CarmenG

I am 22 days out gastric bypass..

In the morning for breakfast I take my ensure max Protein Shake (0 sugar 2carb 30mg protein) french vanilla and pour half of it in 5 cups of coffee as milk replacement taste great. I make 10 cups drink 5 and then drink the other 5 and pour the other half in that. Dont tell the dr how much coffee im drinking but im not eating much... No stall yet been loosing steadily half lb or so a day sometimes .75 first few days it was a lb a day but that quit after the first 4 days.

DANG. That's A LOT of coffee. Is it Decaf? Is this a first surgery for you? Mine's a revision from a 14-year-old sleeve. I was told to avoid coffee for like the first 2 months. I'm a coffee drinker too, but not as hardcore, lol! I'm going to try caffeine probably starting Monday, just to see if I tolerate it. Don't want any surprises at work. Are you getting in your calories and Protein? Did you lose any weight before your surgery?

3 minutes ago, CarmenG said:

DANG. That's A LOT of coffee. Is it Decaf? Is this a first surgery for you? Mine's a revision from a 14-year-old sleeve. I was told to avoid coffee for like the first 2 months. I'm a coffee drinker too, but not as hardcore, lol! I'm going to try caffeine probably starting Monday, just to see if I tolerate it. Don't want any surprises at work. Are you getting in your calories and Protein? Did you lose any weight before your surgery?

First surgery / Lost 55lbs with pre surgery diet in 5 months doing Atkins / low carb. They only told me no coffee first 2 weeks. Then ok and said max 3 cups a day. I handle it great no problems. I did wait 2 weeks before trying any. I am only eating the ensure max Protein Shake in the morning mixed in the coffee. Protein shake by itself for lunch. 2 eggs or a can of tuna or half a can of chicken chunk breasts for dinner. keeping it simple and I am hardcore. Not counting calories at all.. I am counting protein and carbs.. Keeping carbs under 10 grams a day and you can calculate the protein its a lot.. They took my cigs. they took my weeed.. they are not taking my coffee

2 minutes ago, Bigpopsmoke said:

First surgery / Lost 55lbs with pre surgery diet in 5 months doing Atkins / low carb. They only told me no coffee first 2 weeks. Then ok and said max 3 cups a day. I handle it great no problems. I did wait 2 weeks before trying any. I am only eating the ensure max Protein Shake in the morning mixed in the coffee. Protein shake by itself for lunch. 2 eggs or a can of tuna or half a can of chicken chunk breasts for dinner. keeping it simple and I am hardcore. Not counting calories at all.. I am counting Protein and carbs.. Keeping carbs under 10 grams a day and you can calculate the protein its a lot.. They took my cigs. they took my weeed.. they are not taking my coffee

Well, your weight loss is really great. I lost like that when I had the sleeve in 2009. Ended up losing 149 lbs in the first 18 months. I've read and was told that revisions lose a lot slower because our bodies have adapted to a small amount of calories, so they hold on to them for dear life. I'll eat like 1 scrambled egg and 1 oz of turkey for breakfast, 1/2 cup of albacore tuna with 2 tbsp light mayo for lunch, 2 oz of chicken breast and a laughing cow Swiss cheese wedge for dinner. I am only up to 15 minutes on the treadmill though. I'm upping the time little by little. I was cleared just this past Monday for the treadmill. Maybe my carbs are too high or my protein is too low? I wasn't told to count calories, but I've read that at this point it should be between 300-600 cal/day. I use the Baritastic app to document my daily nutrition and H2O. It's pretty neat.

4 minutes ago, CarmenG said:

I'll eat like 1 scrambled egg and 1 oz of turkey for Breakfast, 1/2 cup of albacore tuna with 2 tbsp light mayo for lunch, 2 oz of chicken breast and a laughing cow Swiss cheese wedge for dinner.

With that I do not see how your getting 40 carbs a day. I know you said under 40 grams of carbs a day and that would for sure be under. I am not sure what a swiss cheese wedge is where are your carbs are coming from? I am only getting the 4 or so carbs in the shake 2 times a day so it has to be under 10 for me.. I am worried about the 3 week stale myself because been doing so good and I would hate to slow down right now.

I have access to 15 floors in my apartment building so I just walk up and down the stairs for 27 min in the morning and evening for exercise.

I can start my free weight lifting again in 8 more days the dr told me 4 weeks after surgery I can start back weight lifting. I started doing the flights of stairs a week after surgery.

Maybe we are over thinking it all.. LOL

This is going to sound crazy but …. Up your calories to 600. You’ll likely break through your stall that way.

As for the stall itself, they can last a month or so. Just focus on following your plan, and drinking Water.

It DOES sound crazy but it's true ! The less you eat, the more your body thinks you're starving and will hold onto every ounce !

2 hours ago, Bigpopsmoke said:

With that I do not see how your getting 40 carbs a day. I know you said under 40 grams of carbs a day and that would for sure be under. I am not sure what a swiss cheese wedge is where are your carbs are coming from? I am only getting the 4 or so carbs in the shake 2 times a day so it has to be under 10 for me.. I am worried about the 3 week stale myself because been doing so good and I would hate to slow down right now.

I have access to 15 floors in my apartment building so I just walk up and down the stairs for 27 min in the morning and evening for exercise.

I can start my free weight lifting again in 8 more days the dr told me 4 weeks after surgery I can start back weight lifting. I started doing the flights of stairs a week after surgery.

Maybe we are over thinking it all.. LOL

Wow, you're getting some great exercise in! That's awesome. Well, as for the carbs, like my tuna will have light mayo, that has carbs, cheese slices and that laughing cow wedge has a few carbs, but honestly the rest of the carbs come from my daily intake of Vitamins. I take a Multivitamin 3x a day, an Iron chewable, a Calcium chewable, added B12, and added Biotin. See the screenshot? It comes out to 75 calories and 21 carbs. :(

tempFileForShare_20230714-164534.jpg

1 hour ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

This is going to sound crazy but …. Up your calories to 600. You’ll likely break through your stall that way.

As for the stall itself, they can last a month or so. Just focus on following your plan, and drinking Water.

38 minutes ago, KathyLev said:

It DOES sound crazy but it's true ! The less you eat, the more your body thinks you're starving and will hold onto every ounce !

Thanks, ladies, for responding. I can try that, but I'm so paranoid of taking in more calories and then actually gaining! Ugh! I'd just sit on the floor and cry. Maybe I can add a Protein Shake at night, as a "midnight snack"?

1-3 weeks is pretty common for a stall - but a month is not unheard of. You're only 11 days into it - so it's not an issue yet.

Thanks. I really hope this ends soon. It's nerve-racking. :unsure:

On 7/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, CarmenG said:

Thanks, ladies, for responding. I can try that, but I'm so paranoid of taking in more calories and then actually gaining! Ugh! I'd just sit on the floor and cry. Maybe I can add a Protein Shake at night, as a "midnight snack"?

I agree with you!! I am so paranoid about eating too many calories and so i under eat! I am 3.5 months out of sleeve surgery and I think my body is in starvation mode. I'm going to try to up my calories to 600 and see if that breaks my somewhat stall. i was drinking a Protein Shake at night but i figured its like 160 calories before bed.....not sure if that is good for me. I drink it in the morning now as breakfast. Then i will have no fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt as a snack a couple hours after dinner.