Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleared for Exercise 3 weeks post op

Hi everyone. I was a cash pay in Vegas for gastric sleeve. They haven’t really followed up and I keep having to ask them for more info. They seem really relaxed about everything (outpatient surgery). I asked when I can exercise and he said I can begin anything I want now and I am only three weeks out. I’m just wondering if anyone else has been told that? I see 6-8 weeks most places.

I think I was cleared for walking within a month and more intense exercise about 6 weeks out.

Walking should be fine for now, give any thing more intense a few weeks longer.

I was told to start walking right away and more intense/weight exercise at 6 weeks. And even then, my surgeon said if it hurt my abdominal area to stop and try again in a week or so.

That’s what I’ve been reading. I asked specifically about Pilates and he said go ahead. I think I’ll be safe and wait. I just wonder why he says it’s okay.

I’d wait a bit longer for anything intensive. Like others have said it was about six weeks before I was cleared to lift weights. But until that point, it was mild stretching to stay limber and walk, walk, walk.

Hi! I'm new here but I read this and wanted to reply. At my two-week appointment, I was told to wait one more week before getting on the treadmill. However, since the surgery, I was told to walk around inside my house (South Texas so too hot to walk outside after surgery) 4 times a day. I was literally counting 600 steps 4x a day. Tomorrow, I'm getting on that treadmill but still gonna take a slow stride. I'm freaking out because my weight loss is so slow. BUT, the PA told me I could use the treadmill at 3 weeks and I could start driving, just to be very, very careful because of the seat belt. Maybe start with just walking at a comfortable pace.

I started walking day 1 after surgery to prevent blood clots every few hours for 5-10 minutes. I continued on with that until I was up to a mile once a day. Started inside on my treadmill and walking outside for now until it gets too hot. Today at 10AM it was only 70 degrees with a cool breeze so pushed myself to go round the lake a second time for 2 miles total. 😤

Not bad for someone who was almost completely sedentary pre-op,

My bariatric team advises nothing harder than walking until 6 weeks after surgery.

Weeks 2-4 light physical activity. Low impact walking and stretching.

Weeks 4-8 add cardio activities. Increase walking distance and/or speed. Biking, Water aerobics. Easier on joints. 5xs a week for 30 minutes and build from there.

Week 6 add strength training twice a week in addition to cardio.

I have yet to start the strength training. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the time of my RNY so I'm a bit apprehensive to start. But I do look at the weights as I pass thru the room to go sit in the infrared sauna. LOL

Good luck @Nicnak

Walking from day 1. Longer walking with slight incline by week 3. Cleared for ALL exercise at week 6.

Cleared for cardio and light weights training (less than 15 pounds) 2 weeks post-op.

Clearly not the norm.

Edited by saramelie