Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any over 50 sleevers? Did you find the weight after surgery came off faster/slower than someone younger?

3 hours ago, NCL04321 said:

Any over 50 sleevers? Did you find the weight after surgery came off faster/slower than someone younger?

Hi NCL04321! It's nice to meet you. Yes, I'm 62. I haven't had surgery yet (sleeve scheduled for July 27th). I wanted to reach out to say hello and wish you well. How are you doing so far?

Not a sleever, but a bypasser. I had surgery at age 55. I was a slow loser the whole time, but there are so many things that factor into that that I'm not sure how much of it was due to age - but probably at least some. It also depends on your gender, your starting BMI, how muscular you are, how active you are, genetics, whether or not you lost a lot of weight before the surgery, etc. If you really stick to your program, you'll lose the weight - whether fast or slow

I'm 50 and had my sleeve surgery 3/13/23. I have lost a little over 60 pounds. I don't know if that's slower than someone younger but I am very happy so far with my results.

I was almost 54 when I had my sleeve. I lost all my weight & more. My surgeon was always happy with my rate of loss. The bonus 11kgs I lost took longer (11 months) than the initial 31kgs (6 months) to my goal weight.

As @catwoman7 said there are many factors that influence the rate at which you lose. Some you can control but most you can’t. You’ll find there are average rates & average amounts of weight you can lose but averages only give you an idea of what you might experience not what you will. What you can be sure of is if you follow your plan & the recommendations & advice of your surgeon & dietician, you’ll lose weight at the rate which is right for you. It’s the same with how much weight you’ll lose.

All the best & Celebrate every pound you lose.

Hi and nice to meet you also! Welcome to the group! Good luck with your surgery on the 27th. I am doing great! No vomiting, very little pain after surgery, and mentally in a great place. I have a great husband and family who are super supportive. I was very mentally ready for this journey and knew of the sacrifices i would have to make food wise.

15 hours ago, amandarara said:

I'm 50 and had my sleeve surgery 3/13/23. I have lost a little over 60 pounds. I don't know if that's slower than someone younger but I am very happy so far with my results.

I think that is an excellent amount of weight loss!!! Congratulations!!

4 minutes ago, NCL04321 said:

I am doing great! No vomiting, very little pain after surgery, and mentally in a great place. I have a great husband and family who are super supportive. I was very mentally ready for this journey and knew of the sacrifices i would have to make food wise.

Great to hear,@NCL04321! Having a good support system means the world - I'm fortunate to have the same. I'll look forward to hearing more about your journey. I am so ready to get this surgery. Btw, I grew up in IL, but I've lived in IN for much of my adult life. Have a beautiful day!

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I was almost 54 when I had my sleeve. I lost all my weight & more. My surgeon was always happy with my rate of loss. The bonus 11kgs I lost took longer (11 months) than the initial 31kgs (6 months) to my goal weight.

As @catwoman7 said there are many factors that influence the rate at which you lose. Some you can control but most you can’t. You’ll find there are average rates & average amounts of weight you can lose but averages only give you an idea of what you might experience not what you will. What you can be sure of is if you follow your plan & the recommendations & advice of your surgeon & dietician, you’ll lose weight at the rate which is right for you. It’s the same with how much weight you’ll lose.

All the best & Celebrate every pound you lose.

Thank you Arabesque! I kind of get in my head at times because i really think menopause did a number on me as far as weight gain and inability to lose it on my own without surgery. I know everyone is different and we should not compare the rate or amount of weight loss to others. I just wonder at some point if menopause will interfere with the amount of weight i am able to lose as it seems my hormones seem to be sabotaging me as far as hot flashes, etc. My "banana" was born on 4/12/23 and I've lost 37 lbs. I suppose not bad for 2 months. I average 400-500 calories a day. I get about 60g of Protein per day. I will be honest and say i don't exercise as much as i should. Water is hard for me to drink the amount you are supposed to so i did switch to Decaf black tea with splenda and of course that is easier for me to drink more of it but still dont think i'm getting the 64oz of liquid.

15 hours ago, amandarara said:

I'm 50 and had my sleeve surgery 3/13/23. I have lost a little over 60 pounds.

Hi @amandarara. That's great! I would be thrilled with that level of weight loss. Good for you! 🙌

1 hour ago, Midwest Grateful said:

Great to hear,@NCL04321! Having a good support system means the world - I'm fortunate to have the same. I'll look forward to hearing more about your journey. I am so ready to get this surgery. Btw, I grew up in IL, but I've lived in IN for much of my adult life. Have a beautiful day!

Kinda funny....the opposite of you....I was born a Hoosier but have lived in IL for almost all my life! Have a great day!

I’m 53 and sleeve surgery date was 1/9/23 so about 5 months post op. So far lost 78 lbs with a few stalls along the way. Longest was 3 weeks (painful wait!). Weight loss has slowed down some but still consistently 2 lbs week sometimes more. I average 900 calories per day and goal of 80 grams Protein sometimes I hit more. My doc suggested I increase protein intake and fluids. I never miss fluids 64-70 oz day. I’ve found my meals are pretty consistent and predictable and honestly don’t stray too far in my choices yet. I’m full at 5oz but can eat 6oz. Anything over that in one sitting is too much. I don’t really snack and just eat 3 meals a day. My one concession is 1/2 TBS Peanut Butter in late evening when I start to feel hungry before bed. Nice treat and curbs the hunger. I have another 70 lbs to lose and look forward to the day when I can eat 1200 calories a day! It’s a journey but feeling great. The biggest bummer is sagging skin and a sad reminder of how I got here in the first place. I’m sure changes in our hormones affect the swings of weight loss along the way but overall I’m convinced we just need to stay the course and it will fall off. :)

Edited by bluemather

1 hour ago, bluemather said:

I don’t really snack and just eat 3 meals a day. My one concession is 1/2 TBS Peanut Butter in late evening when I start to feel hungry before bed. Nice treat and curbs the hunger.

Hi @bluemather! Congratulations on all the achievements. I'll have to try the Peanut Butter to see if it curbs my appetite. Thanks for the tip. As far as the loose skin, I'm with you; I'm not looking forward to that, either. But I'll take it if it means I drop this weight. Keep rocking it! 🙌

10 hours ago, NCL04321 said:

I kind of get in my head at times because i really think menopause did a number on me as far as weight gain and inability to lose it on my own without surgery. I know everyone is different and we should not compare the rate or amount of weight loss to others. I just wonder at some point if menopause will interfere with the amount of weight i am able to lose as it seems my hormones seem to be sabotaging me as far as hot flashes, etc. My "banana" was born on 4/12/23 and I've lost 37 lbs. I suppose not bad for 2 months. I average 400-500 calories a day. I get about 60g of Protein per day. I will be honest and say i don't exercise as much as i should. Water is hard for me to drink the amount you are supposed to so i did switch to Decaf black tea with splenda and of course that is easier for me to drink more of it but still dont think i'm getting the 64oz of liquid.

Menopause is what did me in too. I went from my usual lifelong range of 60-75kgs to suddenly being 91kg. It was like I woke up one day & there was the weight. Tried to unsuccessfully move it for a couple of years & decided surgery was my only option. I’m almost 58 & still have menopausal symptoms even on HRT. (Actually the estrogen flush we have while we’re losing actually stopped my menopausal symptoms. They came back once I got to goal though. ☹️) So losing your weight & maintaining is still possible.

Don’t worry too much about doing ‘enough’ exercise. It only contributes to about 10% of your weight loss & I didn’t do any formal exercise while I was losing. Just was more active in my everyday life. Like stairs not lifts or escalators, park further away from where you’re going, make multiple trips up & down my stairs instead of only one or two trips, etc. Of course there are lots of other benefits to being active.

I too found tea easiest to drink. I still have a large mug (about 400ml) of green tea every day. You’ll get your Fluid up. Try drinking during the night as well. Sip every time you get up to pee. I still do this to push me up & over my goal. Looks like you’ve got a good handle on your Protein so we’ll done. And congrats with your weight loss so far too.

i had my surgery over 4.5 years ago when i was 46 (yes, not quite 50, but still).

while i was not quite menopausal, i was definitely peri-menopausal.

i lost more than goal by 7 months post op:

to that, while i can't quite comment on how menopause may affect weight loss, based on my own personal experience, i can submit MY own account on how menopause affected MAINTENANCE.

its been over a year since my last period (im 50 now) - which i guess officially makes me menopausal - i haven't been "regular" for over 2 yrs), and so far has not affected weight (so far! *crosses fingers*) i have been more or less the same weight (give or take 5lbs) since stabilizing about 4 years ago.

i think alot of how menopause will affect u is genetic and quite individualized. i have ZERO menopause symptoms. and according to my mom, it was the same for her.

you may luck out, you may not. only time will tell.

with that said, menopause does not mean weight loss and maintenance is unattainable. you may have to work a little harder than those who are unaffected, but it CAN be done.

good luck and enjoy the ride! ❤️