Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, kristine L said:

.I had my sleeve done on May third. I am 60 and have been in menopause for 8 years. I have never been heavy til menopause happened. 3 weeks before my surgery i started my pre diet. I ate 540 calories a day of Protein and very low carbs. On my surgery day I had only lost 1 pound :(. I feel that with age also comes the slower metabolism. I am doing okay with the weight lose. I am a vegetarian, so it is interesting not getting to eat any fruit. But I am sticking to the strict diet given by my doctor. Only 1/4 cup a meal. I have been lift 5 pound arm weights as I know my arms are going to have alot of excess skin. It is strange to see my skin as it appears I am like a deflating ballon :). It is alot to get used to. My fatique is off the chart, but I am doing the best I can. One day at a time

Edited by Bluphiguy

10 hours ago, kristine L said:

I had my sleeve done on May third. I am 60 and have been in menopause for 8 years. I have never been heavy til menopause happened. 3 weeks before my surgery i started my pre diet. I ate 540 calories a day of Protein and very low carbs. On my surgery day I had only lost 1 pound :(. I feel that with age also comes the slower metabolism. I am doing okay with the weight lose. I am a vegetarian, so it is interesting not getting to eat any fruit. But I am sticking to the strict diet given by my doctor. Only 1/4 cup a meal. I have been lift 5 pound arm weights as I know my arms are going to have alot of excess skin. It is strange to see my skin as it appears I am like a deflating ballon :). It is alot to get used to. My fatique is off the chart, but I am doing the best I can. One day at a time

That was me too. I bounced between 60-75kg (healthy weight to overweight range) most of my life but peri menopause then menopause & suddenly I was obese. Could lose a couple of kilos but would take several weeks & that as on those extremely low calories diets of 500 calories a day too. I’d gain the weight back like in days. The surgery boosted my metabolism & I keep it burning by eating regularly now - no more meal skipping for me which was how I used to try to maintain my weight.

The fatigue will improve as you begin to eat more each day. Try an electrolyte drink to give you a boost on days you need a little more energy. You may be able to start some fruit soon. I think I could from my third month. Check with your dietician.

The sad news the weights won’t help with your loose skin. It will only help with the muscular structure under your skin which has been stretched out. My arms are quite nicely toned from using resistance bands. I even get compliments which I think is hilarious as my loose skin is still there but then I don’t wave my arms about too much 😉. Only way to get it rid of it is surgery.

All the best with your progress.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:48 PM, amandarara said:

I'm 50 and had my sleeve surgery 3/13/23. I have lost a little over 60 pounds. I don't know if that's slower than someone younger but I am very happy so far with my results.

WOW, good job, are you seeing loose skin?

I has my VGS about 6 weeks ago. I have always had a good appetite, was a chubby child. In my teens through to about 50, I was able to manage a good appetite with a lot of physical exercise and I loved it, loves my muscles. I ran, power yoga, spinning. some weights, never a body builder. I had my child at 35 and that was hard on my body. I had/have a lot of back problems so slowly my running was taken away, then spinning. I managed to keep up. Power yoga routine, but it was hard on me. Went thru menaopause and divorce at 50 and life unraveled. COVID hit and with personal issue I went to work and came home to lay in bed for two years. The weight piled on, muscle went away and I couldn’t find my motivation anymore. I felt like I had thrown away an adult lifetime of fitness that I had worked so hard for and had wanted so badly. I decided to go for surgery because I just felt at this stage in my life, I wouldn’t be able to get back to my previous fitness and weight loss at this age was just about impossible. I had the surgery, did well. I am getting plenty of Protein, but all the plans I had for creating a new physical fitness rebirth haven’t gone nearly as well as I wanted. I am not giving up, but everything is just harder. Still trying to find my MOJO. I have lost weight, but maintaining and maybe building a little are my Quest. Getting older, losing your hormones is discouraging. It happens to everyone, but you can’t really prepare and “ be ready” because it’s like having a child, you just don’t know how it really is until it happens. I am really interested in any supplements or tricks, certain exercises routine a anyone has learned. I am trying to focus more on weight training. I have never really like just doing weights.
That is one thing I loved about power yoga, it a lot of muscle work without feeling like just doing a bunch of boring reps!!I am researching EAA supplements. Would love some testosterone, but that is costly over time. Look forward to figuring out this journey with this group!!

On 7/8/2023 at 3:23 PM, Sherry Bo berry said:

WOW, good job, are you seeing loose skin?

yes, mostly in my upper arms

I’m 54 and just had surgery on 6/27. I’ve lost only 11 lbs. I thought I’d lose much more. I’m a bit frustrated with that since I lost 9lbs the week prior to surgery.

Hi, I had my sleeve aged over 50. Lost more, and quicker, than younger people here. But also less and slower than older people here! Which means - everyone loses at their own rate. Best of luck to all of us xxx

I'm 50 and was sleeved 9 weeks ago today. Going really well and have no regrets. Lost 1.7 kgs the past week, have lost 17 kgs since my surgery. Just one stall so far.

I'm 50 and was sleeved 9 weeks ago today. Going really well and have no regrets. Lost 1.7 kgs the past week, have lost 17 kgs since my surgery. Just one stall so far.

I'm 50 and just had my bypass July 5th. So far pain wise it's much easier than I could hope for. I lost 13 pound pre surgery and as of now day 11 post surgery I've lost 16 pounds.

Any over 50 sleevers? Did you find the weight after surgery came off faster/slower than someone younger?

Metabolism plateaus from age 20 to 60, and then it declines 0.7% a year. So you will lose at the same rate as anyone under 60. The study was quite a breakthrough when it came to metabolism studies. It covered 6500 people, 29 different countries, 8 days old to 95 years old. So in essence, it's up to us to follow the basic rules, do what we need to do to lose the excess weight. People who gain weight in their 40s can't blame their metabolism anymore. The difference is usually due to their decreased activity level, lifestyle and diet compared to when they were 25.

Any over 50 sleevers? Did you find the weight after surgery came off faster/slower than someone younger?

Metabolism plateaus from age 20 to 60, and then it declines 0.7% a year. So you will lose at the same rate as anyone under 60. The study was quite a breakthrough when it came to metabolism studies. It covered 6500 people, 29 different countries, 8 days old to 95 years old. So in essence, it's up to us to follow the basic rules, do what we need to do to lose the excess weight. People who gain weight in their 40s can't blame their metabolism anymore. The difference is usually due to their decreased activity level, lifestyle and diet compared to when they were 25.

Geez what's with the servers?[emoji24] Looks like I lagged out in this one too.

16 hours ago, Tomo said:

yes, however i do think menopause has something to do with weight gain/loss.

Yep,I was never over weight til menopause happened. Been in it for 8 years. Hormones all over the place. Messing up my thyroid and lots of other stuff. I have always been a busy girl. I swim 9 hours a week. Eating nothing except what my doctor ordered which is 6 tablespoons on Protein, 2 tablespoons on veggies per meal and 63 ounces of Water a day. My weight is coming off very very slow. I am just happy it is coming off. I have always eaten extremely healthy. Fresh veggie, fruits, nuts, limited carbs. No junk food at all. If it wasn't for this surgery, this weightloss never would have been possible :)