Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea after eating- 3 weeks out

Hello all!

I've had my RNY on May 17,2023. I've been having nausea after eating anything that's not soft like yogurt, baby food, or eggs. I'm now on the soft chopped portion of my plan. Is it normal to be nauseous after eating things such as moist chicken, Beans at this point?

I've also had quite a bit of Constipation and struggling to get Water in. Please give me any tips or advice!

Thanks! :)

It's normal and thankfully temporary. Ask your doctor to prescribe you anti-nausea medication if needed. Stool softeners like Colace can be bought over the counter.

I had to back up on some of the foods I was cleared to eat. If your stomach's not ready for it, don't rush it. Go back and try it again later. I would concentrate more on getting your liquids in at this point.

Babyspoons said everything I would say. Keep eating the soft foods for another week & then try moving on. My daughter couldn’t eat chicken for the longest time after her RNY. I didn’t have any trouble unless I ate more then 3oz. Make sure you’re not eating too much. That can make you nauseous!
I use the alarm on the Baritastic app to remind me to drink Water every 15 min (accept when I’m eating of course). I’m over 5 years out & I still need to be reminded sometimes. I never leave the house without a bottle of water & I always have it right next to me. I use 1/2 a stack of Drip Drops in 23oz. Gives it a little flavor. I aim for 3 bottles a day.
Good luck! You can do it.

I agree with the other posters. And a lot of people seem to have trouble with chicken the first few weeks or months out (I didn't - but it's not at all uncommon). Just try 'er again later on. Some people's stomachs just aren't as ready to move on as others, and that's OK!

fluids will definitely help with Constipation, so keep working at it - but just so you know, constipation can become a chronic issue with a lot of us. At eight years out, I still take a capful of Miralax every morning to keep on top of it. But for some, once they're able to get enough fluids and can eat things with Fiber (like fruit, vegetables, and whole grains), it goes away. But for now, keep working on those fluids!

Hello all!
I've had my RNY on May 17,2023. I've been having nausea after eating anything that's not soft like yogurt, baby food, or eggs. I'm now on the soft chopped portion of my plan. Is it normal to be nauseous after eating things such as moist chicken, Beans at this point?
I've also had quite a bit of Constipation and struggling to get Water in. Please give me any tips or advice!
Thanks! [emoji4]

All what others said.

Also, I wasn't allowed solid foods at all until 3 months, which is the usual timeline for starting solids. I had to stay in the pureed/soft stage until then. Anything solid would have probably made me sick, definitely would've given me foamies. Especially chicken. I was okay with soft fish.

You are still very early on (not even a month in) so I think it's normal you are feeling nauseous with solids. I still have problems with chicken from time to time. Any meat that is dry can give me foamies (ick). I usually can not heat meat in the microwave because it dries it out so I heat my food in a food warmer like hotlogic and when I am hungry I just go get it.

I'm well over a year post op and still feel nauseous some days. I suggest the following to really take control of the situation:

• Stay hydrated
  • Chew your food until it's a paste, take tiny bites of food too
  • Wait more than 30 min to drink after eating if you ate anything that was particularly rough be it texture or quantity
  • Get a prescription for zofran or some sort of anti-nausea med to have on hand
  • Make sure your bathroom times are regular as I deal with Constipation still and when it's bad, it can make me feel incredibly nauseous