Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 2 1/2 months Post Op and Not Eating

Hi, I’m 2 1/2 months post op rny gastric bypass. I want to eat but fear of gaining weight and possible vomiting are holding me back. So I don’t eat. The most I eat is once a day if that and if I eat it’s a pea to a nickel size amount. I read all this stuff online and it makes me feel like I can’t have anything. I’m frustrated at this point. I’m down 75lbs. I lost 35lbs before surgery to prep my body. I have been having cravings but no hunger pains. I fainted once and this new vertigo issue kills me every morning. I just don’t know what to do at this point.

you need to eat or you're going to get very sick. If you follow your clinic's food guidelines, you will not gain weight.

at 2.5 months out, you're probably not going to do much in the way of vomiting. I had some issues with that early on when I ate too fast or if something didn't agree with me, but by 2.5 months it was a rare occurrence. By then I'd figured out how fast/slow I could eat and what, if anything, didn't agree with me. Besides, vomiting post-surgery is different from vomiting pre-surgery. Your stomach is really small so there's not much to come back up, and your stomach also doesn't produce nearly as much acid as it did before, so you don't get that horrible taste in your mouth. I don't dread vomiting like I did pre-surgery.

57 minutes ago, Jonathan Carlson said:

Did your team give you Protein goals? I would start with shakes and try to hit those. I had surgery in Feb of this year and vomited 3 times. It's unpleasant, but it can be avoided and I wouldn't fear it!

I wasn’t given Protein goals and my surgeon literally said I am free to eat what I want, but I don’t want to gain weight. I did the shakes and my surgeon said to stop them. He wants me getting protein from food.

Edited by Ace35

Just now, Ace35 said:
4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

you need to eat or you're going to get very sick. If you follow your clinic's food guidelines, you will not gain weight.

at 2.5 months out, you're probably not going to do much in the way of vomiting. I had some issues with that early on when I ate too fast or if something didn't agree with me, but by 2.5 months it was a rare occurrence. By then I'd figured out how fast/slow I could eat and what, if anything, didn't agree with me. Besides, vomiting post-surgery is different from vomiting pre-surgery. Your stomach is really small so there's not much to come back up, and your stomach also doesn't produce nearly as much acid as it did before, so you don't get that horrible taste in your mouth. I don't dread vomiting like I did pre-surgery.

Yeah, I’ve already had a blackout once last month. I fell out as soon as I got home. I have vomited a few times last week and the week before, but it was because I had spicy food and then I ate something that didn’t agree with me. I don’t get why I can only eat a pea to a nickel size amount at this stage. It’s annoying because I can never finish anything and then my food goes to waste because my taste buds and cravings change rapidly so I don’t feel like eating the leftovers later.

I crave orange juice really bad just about every other day. I was thinking I could have Uncle Matt’s organic orange juice or Valencia but looking at the nutritional label is confusing. I feel like if it has sugar listed and no added sugar I should be fine. I can’t tell as to whether it’s listed for the whole container or just a glass. I can’t eat chicken. My body rejects it because it’s too dry so I stick with seafood if I eat anything. I woke up today with a craving for grits and Syrup which is weird. I’m all over the place and have yet to eat…

I am sorry you are going through this, I am no expert, but I think you need to see a bariatric counsellor or the equivalent in your country. I am no expert but you seem to be developing an eating disorder based on disordered thinking.

5 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

I am sorry you are going through this, I am no expert, but I think you need to see a bariatric counsellor or the equivalent in your country. I am no expert but you seem to be developing an eating disorder based on disordered thinking.

I plan on contacting the surgeon on Tuesday since he’s out on Mondays. I hope I’m not developing an eating disorder.

5 hours ago, Ace35 said:

Hi, I’m 2 1/2 months post op rny gastric bypass. I want to eat but fear of gaining weight and possible vomiting are holding me back. So I don’t eat. The most I eat is once a day if that and if I eat it’s a pea to a nickel size amount. I read all this stuff online and it makes me feel like I can’t have anything. I’m frustrated at this point. I’m down 75lbs. I lost 35lbs before surgery to prep my body. I have been having cravings but no hunger pains. I fainted once and this new vertigo issue kills me every morning. I just don’t know what to do at this point.

Hun, you have to eat. There are some great examples on here of different bariatric meal plans and guidelines that you could maybe pick from. If your surgeon literally said "eat whatever you want" then you might have to do some research on your own. Right now, your body is starving. So start off slow.

Try drinking 3 Protein Shakes per day and maybe some Protein Water or protein gatorade or protein juice. Most important is getting in your protein and hydration. Try that for a week or 2, then go down to 2 shakes per day and add in a meal of maybe hummus and avocado spread, or refried Beans, or cottage cheese. After 2 weeks, I was having a tbsp of hummus and a tbsp of avocado spread for a meal.

After another week, go down to 1 shake and add scrambled egg, greek yogurt, and some soft (steamed) veggies like green beans, peas, carrots, or broccoli and cauliflower. By week 5, you can add in some chicken (it's a slider food, so don't over do it), black beans, cheeses, soft fruits (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc). banana is you really want, but those can be higher in carbs, so go very easy on them.

By week 6, you can eat normally, but you tastes will likely change, and things you liked and tolerated before may be different now. So go slowly when trying new foods. This was the plan I followed. I also got a food scale to measure out my portion sizes until I learned to eyeball it and tell just by looking roughly how much I could have of something. You can do this...just go slow, do some research, and ask all the questions you want. That's why we're here :)

You can’t not eat. There’s some great advice from the others about reintroducing food into your day.

Demand your surgeon give you guidelines & also request a referral to a dietician/nutritionalist who is knowledgeable of the needs of post surgery patients. Ask for portion recommendations, Protein & fluid goals, and goals/limits of other macros. Also ask for a referral to a therapist. Many find therapy very helpful as they work through their fears & relationship with food. Can’t believe your surgeon said to eat whatever you want. I mean that’s how you became overweight in the first place.

Yes, vomiting (I call it regurgitating cause it’s not like vomiting of old) is most possible in the beginning while you are healing but because you haven’t been eating your tummy may struggle for a while until it gets used to food again. You may have odd occurrences if something doesn’t sit well or if you have the foamies (eating food that may be too dry or too coarse or eating too quickly) too.

I gave up shakes as soon as I began purées & got my protein from real food too. It was my goal & my surgeon & dietician were happy. I found a good high protein yoghurt & yoghurt drink to give me a boost of protein each day to supplement the solid/real foods I was eating.

I was also advised to eat about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food from purées slowly increasing to a cup. I got to the cup at 6 months. Now I eat about a recommended serve or a little less & am maintaining my weight. If you follow your plan & dietician recommendations you won’t gain weight. It’s literally impossible in the lower calorie intake we have until our weight stabilises unless you exceed those guidelines & recommendations.

All the best.

PS. Try to avoid fruit juices as they have a high natural sugar content (that’s why it may say no added sugar but may have sugar identified on the nutrient panel). It takes several oranges to make a glass of orange juice but you would only eat one whole orange at a time. When you are able, it’s always better to eat the whole fruit & get the additional nutrients like fibre & fewer carbs.

16 hours ago, Ace35 said:

I did the shakes and my surgeon said to stop them. He wants me getting Protein from food.

Go back to drinking your Protein Shakes until you get your real food situation figured out. Blacking out and vertigo is not normal. Sounds like an electrolyte imbalance.

23 hours ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Hun, you have to eat. There are some great examples on here of different bariatric meal plans and guidelines that you could maybe pick from. If your surgeon literally said "eat whatever you want" then you might have to do some research on your own. Right now, your body is starving. So start off slow.

Try drinking 3 Protein Shakes per day and maybe some Protein Water or Protein gatorade or protein juice. Most important is getting in your protein and hydration. Try that for a week or 2, then go down to 2 shakes per day and add in a meal of maybe hummus and avocado spread, or refried Beans, or cottage cheese. After 2 weeks, I was having a tbsp of hummus and a tbsp of avocado spread for a meal.

After another week, go down to 1 shake and add scrambled egg, greek yogurt, and some soft (steamed) veggies like green Beans, peas, carrots, or broccoli and cauliflower. By week 5, you can add in some chicken (it's a slider food, so don't over do it), black beans, cheeses, soft fruits (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc). banana is you really want, but those can be higher in carbs, so go very easy on them.

By week 6, you can eat normally, but you tastes will likely change, and things you liked and tolerated before may be different now. So go slowly when trying new foods. This was the plan I followed. I also got a food scale to measure out my portion sizes until I learned to eyeball it and tell just by looking roughly how much I could have of something. You can do this...just go slow, do some research, and ask all the questions you want. That's why we're here :)

Thank you so much! I followed the different stages and did liquids, soft foods and now I am set to be able to eat anything. My fear is what’s holding me back. I don’t eat chicken because of it being too harsh, but I like fish and seafood and vegan options.

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

You can’t not eat. There’s some great advice from the others about reintroducing food into your day.

Demand your surgeon give you guidelines & also request a referral to a dietician/nutritionalist who is knowledgeable of the needs of post surgery patients. Ask for portion recommendations, Protein & fluid goals, and goals/limits of other macros. Also ask for a referral to a therapist. Many find therapy very helpful as they work through their fears & relationship with food. Can’t believe your surgeon said to eat whatever you want. I mean that’s how you became overweight in the first place.

Yes, vomiting (I call it regurgitating cause it’s not like vomiting of old) is most possible in the beginning while you are healing but because you haven’t been eating your tummy may struggle for a while until it gets used to food again. You may have odd occurrences if something doesn’t sit well or if you have the foamies (eating food that may be too dry or too coarse or eating too quickly) too.

I gave up shakes as soon as I began purées & got my Protein from real food too. It was my goal & my surgeon & dietician were happy. I found a good high protein yoghurt & yoghurt drink to give me a boost of protein each day to supplement the solid/real foods I was eating.

I was also advised to eat about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food from purées slowly increasing to a cup. I got to the cup at 6 months. Now I eat about a recommended serve or a little less & am maintaining my weight. If you follow your plan & dietician recommendations you won’t gain weight. It’s literally impossible in the lower calorie intake we have until our weight stabilises unless you exceed those guidelines & recommendations.

All the best.

PS. Try to avoid fruit juices as they have a high natural sugar content (that’s why it may say no added sugar but may have sugar identified on the nutrient panel). It takes several oranges to make a glass of orange juice but you would only eat one whole orange at a time. When you are able, it’s always better to eat the whole fruit & get the additional nutrients like fibre & fewer carbs.

Thank you! My surgeon said I can eat what I want and in the same breath asked me to write a review on google…lol I have mandarin oranges to try and combat the OJ craving. I am going to try and eat a packet of grits today and see how that goes. I have popsicles that I am getting tired of so I need a change. Taco Bell has been a huge craving of mine. I read on here some folks have been able to eat 1 taco without any issues. I was told not to count calories by my surgeon because it causes a bad relationship with food to develop. I know already my caloric intake is low.

10 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

Go back to drinking your Protein Shakes until you get your real food situation figured out. Blacking out and vertigo is not normal. Sounds like an electrolyte imbalance.

My surgeon said I would develop vertigo and that it was normal. I just wish it would go away.

13 minutes ago, Ace35 said:

it was normal

Nauseous headache, room spinning vertigo or just dizziness? I had the kind where mads were needed but it was because my HBP went crazy high. Many moons ago.

My lack of food dizziness was always controllable. That was during my long Water fasts days where potassium levels can get out of balance and is dangerous if not properly monitored. You mentioned not eating so my mind went there.

I haven't experienced any bariatric vertigo yet, since my surgery. Good luck and hope you get it all sorted out soon. {{hugs}}