Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experience with demanding corporate job + travel post RNY

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here would like to share their experience with life post-surgery in a hectic work environment with long hours and loads of traveling? How long after surgery were you back in a plane? Did anything change in your focus or levels of energy? Intellectual energy? Thank you !

Welcome!

You are going to be consuming about 500 calories a day, at first. You may be dehydrated, as well. You might have diarrhea or Constipation. You're going to be tired and sore. You're going to be thrown into ketosis and may end up with the Keto flu. They are going to be rearranging your organs - this is major surgery that you're having.

I work a desk job, from home. At the time of my bypass, I was working part time. I took 3 weeks off, but wish I'd taken more. I was exhausted and had a lot of diaphragm pain that kept me from sitting upright.

I wouldn't count on being a mover and shaker, just a few days out from surgery. Some people have no problems at all and can resume their normal life the day after they get home from the hospital. Not me, man. My recovery was rough - though uncomplicated.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I'm a business owner and had surgery on Tuesday and was back working fully on Monday, it worked out for me because it was Thanksgiving week and my partner was available for any emergencies.

I flew for my surgery Monday night and flew back home on Thursday afternoon, it was uncomfortable for I still had the nerve block working in my favor. I flew out again one month post op and since then about once a month.

I did not have any change in focus due to calorie restriction but it is distracting trying to make sure you are drinking every 15min, getting up to walk every hour or so, and timing your eating those first few weeks.

Like @Jeanniebug said, plan for the worst, hope for the best since everyone's recovery is different.

I had surgery on a Tuesday (gastric bypass). Was released from hospital on Thursday working part time for a week and full time a week later. I flew to Florida (from Toronto) at week three. Everything was fine - I ate Soups while travelling and Protein Shakes (which also contributed to liquid goals). Remembering to eat and drink when I am busy is my challenge.

Everyone recovers differently & it can be hard to predict how you will go. For example one friend was back at her job after a week. Another took three weeks. Like @Jeanniebug I had a longer recovery period, but with no complications, with my sleeve. I had 4 weeks off before taking up a new part time contract. My head was doughy & I had trouble concentrating well into the second month. My blood pressure (predisposed to this) was low which didn’t help.

As suggested above hope for the best but plan for a longer recovery just in case.

As someone with a corporate desk job, this is definitely a concern of mine. I have heard opposing stories, some feel ready to go back to work a week post op and others take 6-8 weeks and still struggle. I am currently talking with my team, but plan to take 6-8 weeks STD/FMLA just to account for any complications or struggles. I don't want my job performance to suffer. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst is what everyone has been telling me. Hope that helps :)