Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Dr. Speigel patients

Im not a Texas resident , I live in S.W. La. but had my surgery by Speigel. Just wondering how your experience was with him.

I had my band in Houston on Nov. 29, and had a positive experience. So far I have had no trouble and have lost 14 lbs. My first fill is Jan 7, and I'm a little scared, but no-one has hurt me yet. Good luck!

Rebandit- I was banded by Spiegal in August of this year. My experience with Spiegal and his staff has been a positive one. He does seem to rush through things quickly like the pre-op only takes about 90 seconds!! Maybe not that short but he does go very quickly. However, the 2 times I have been in since surgery he has answered all my questions although he still seems to be in a rush. I guess it's because he has so many patients. JULIA51-Don't be nervous about your fill!! I was sooo nervous and it turned out to be NOTHING. The first fill I had I didn't even feel it and the second one felt like a teeny tiny prick. I heard someone compare it to the feeling of giving blood but they must be crazy because there is no pain. It takes about 7 seconds and you barely know he is there.

Hey Julia- I have lost a little over 40 lbs since August. It is not a significant amount but I am happy I didn't gain weight. I would have lost about 20 more lbs had I been exercising. That is my New Years Resolution, to start working out. I was really hoping I would have been down 60-65 lbs by now but I can't expect that to happen without getting off my @$$!! You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work. Have you been to any support groups???

Good Morning MJROUSE! I missed my first support group,however on Jan 7 (first fill ) there is a meeting. I think your weight loss is awesome, I hope I do as well.

Firecracker,

I was banded by Spiegel on December 31st and only found out I was approved for surgery on the 28th so it all happened so fast. Call the office and ask about the process. I can tell for the pre-op all I did was go to the office in the Galleria and they weighed me, gave his post-op handbook and made me sign the the consent forms.

They then send you to UGH to do your bloodwork, EKG, and chest X-ray.

That only took about an hour and a half and most of that was wait time.

I know that sometimes Spiegel gets a bad wrap, but my personal theory is that I don't need him to coddle me, he is merely the surgeon giving me the tool I need. This is my journey. Only you can make it happen post op.

I wish you the best.

I was banded on Nov. 20th 2007 by Dr. Spiegel. My starting weight was 225, and now I am at 194....that's 30 lbs since then. I just had my first fill on January 8th. I have been feeling well, I just had gas problems initially, but that seems to be normal.... eventually they went away.

Here are some befores (w/ Longhorn shirt & Halloween costume) and afters.

Cynthia

post-229145-13813136239514_thumb.jpg

post-229145-13813136240274_thumb.jpg

post-229145-13813136240644_thumb.jpg

post-229145-13813136240891_thumb.jpg

I had my surgery with Dr. Spiegel on 12/07/07. At first things felt like a cattle call at his office, but they have always been very professional and have answered any questions I've had. My surgery was at University General Hospital in Houston and I can't say enough wonderful things about the facility, nurses, etc. A++, first class all the way.

I'm due for my first fill on 01/15/08. I haven't been hungry at all and have lost almost 30 lbs. thus far -- does anyone know if you have to get a fill if you're losing?

I had my surgery 11-29-07 and was losing at a good rate also, however, the restriction you feel is from the swelling from the surgery. About one week before my fill I found I could eat more than I needed to eat. I had a 1.2 cc and now can only eat like I could right after surgery! I have also had my first problem with eating too much---yuk! Good luck-it sounds like you are doing great.

Are any of you in the SE TX area? I've just started the approval process (going to use Dr. Dean in Beaumont) and hoped to find someone close that might have information about Dr's, clinics and BCBS TX.

I am in Beaumont-I used Dr. Spiegel for lap band but I used Dr. Dean for a previos surgery and he was fine. He doesn't have as much experience in this procedure,but he is a great surgeon. Good luck with your adventure---and adventure it is!

I understand that the Bariatric Center (Dr. Dean) hasn't done as many Lap Bands as Dr. Spiegel, but all the negative hype and the legal actions put me off. I've heard both good and bad, as any doctor is going to have since it's everyone has different things that are important to them about a doctor. What I really like about using the SETX Bariatric Center is the fact they have all the people I need to see on staff. From what my PCP has said I have high hopes of being able to be approved when I complete my 6 mth program. Seems BCBS TX has become a bit more flexible with the Lap Band and WLS in general.

I'm in Houston and I used Dr. Spiegel. My nurse at the hospital was also banded by Spiegel. He does not have much of a bed side manner but he is a great surgeon!

Good Luck! Will you be attending the support groups?