Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

December has been an absolutely horrible month for me. I lost my GrandPa at the beginning of the month. I have been so sick all month long with stomach bugs, viruses, flu and now I have kidney stones from all the antibiotics and a cold with a nasty cough that has my chest on fire. I can’t ketch a break in the sick department! I’m freezing even more than normal due to all the sicknesses. I have a lingering Migraine that Tylenol won’t touch. It’s been horrible! My Bariatric team just keeps telling me to keep my fluids up so I don’t get dehydrated and let the sicknesses run the courses but I have never been so sick for so long before or with so many sicknesses so close together. My body needs a vacation. I guess if anything good has come out of this month I haven’t been eating so much so my weight has dropped to 184 without even trying.

Sorry you are having such a rough time! Being sick through the holidays is extra frustrating. For sure keep up with the fluids but I really hope you feel better soon. Makes me less sad at being in yet another stall because it could be worse.

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. May they rest in peace. I am an emotional eater and so it is hard to go through things like this without having the comfort of food. But sticking to a plan has helped. Congrats on the weight loss.

To everyone on this group, thank you for being a support through this process. No one else truly understands that this isn’t the “easy” way.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and I cannot wait to see all of the positive that 2023 will bring for all of us as we transform and become a healthier you. ❤️❤️

Finally found a food I CANNOT tolerate. A donut. Gave myself a cheat day on Christmas, my family got donuts & decided to try one. I did not experience dumping but I did get a pretty bad stomach ache which I have not experienced since the pre-op days. It felt like a rock.

I tolerate all food VERY well but I finally found my enemy. Fried yeasty dough lol. Glad I have a valid reason to stay away from them for good

On 12/27/2022 at 10:16 PM, bbykitty said:

Finally found a food I CANNOT tolerate. A donut. Gave myself a cheat day on Christmas, my family got donuts & decided to try one. I did not experience dumping but I did get a pretty bad stomach ache which I have not experienced since the pre-op days. It felt like a rock.

I tolerate all food VERY well but I finally found my enemy. Fried yeasty dough lol. Glad I have a valid reason to stay away from them for good

The only thing I have had issue with so far is chicken but even that is getting much better. I was hoping for more issues with sweets but my holiday snacking has proven that sweets are still tolerated. So it's up to my will power and that has a proven fail track rate. Luckily I am good about sticking to instructions so I still track everything and keep my calories 1000 or under. I was in a stall and so I even took the last week and a half off from weighing and ate holiday food and treats but I just weighed myself today and I lost 3 pounds. So I think that means that I can have my treats as long as I stick to the calories, Protein and Water goals I was told. Don't want to jinx it though or get used to the treats which is where I wish there was more consequences to my actions.

On a side note, I think my hair is starting to fall out :( I see more and more of it on my brush and I'm sad. I was hoping I would be lucky and get to skip this phase of the surgery but I guess not. I'm just hoping my hair is ok for my cruise in Feb. I was looking forward to maybe getting to buy a new size of clothes and not hiding as much from the camera but missing hair might be something to hide too. I'm considering getting it cut and seeing if I get more body that way but I'm going to wait as see if it gets worse or if its just a little more hair in the brush.

Hope everyone's holidays are going well- take care!

11 hours ago, Hope4NewMe said:

The only thing I have had issue with so far is chicken but even that is getting much better. I was hoping for more issues with sweets but my holiday snacking has proven that sweets are still tolerated. So it's up to my will power and that has a proven fail track rate. Luckily I am good about sticking to instructions so I still track everything and keep my calories 1000 or under. I was in a stall and so I even took the last week and a half off from weighing and ate holiday food and treats but I just weighed myself today and I lost 3 pounds. So I think that means that I can have my treats as long as I stick to the calories, Protein and Water goals I was told. Don't want to jinx it though or get used to the treats which is where I wish there was more consequences to my actions.

On a side note, I think my hair is starting to fall out :( I see more and more of it on my brush and I'm sad. I was hoping I would be lucky and get to skip this phase of the surgery but I guess not. I'm just hoping my hair is ok for my cruise in Feb. I was looking forward to maybe getting to buy a new size of clothes and not hiding as much from the camera but missing hair might be something to hide too. I'm considering getting it cut and seeing if I get more body that way but I'm going to wait as see if it gets worse or if its just a little more hair in the brush.

Hope everyone's holidays are going well- take care!

oof my hair is falling out, too :( ive lost a ton of weight post-op, and ive been stalled the past week or so because my period has finally come back (yay? o.O), and ive caught a cold (double yay xD). im not struggling super hard eating anything in particular, but sometimes nothing sounds good or goes down easily. i struggled early on with various complications and strictures, but i haven't needed an endoscopy to widen my stomach pouch connection since the end of november! i think im finally out of the woods! :)

i try sooo hard to hit my daily Protein goals but it's difficult. my dietitian has me aiming for 80 g of protein daily and i am regularly hitting somewhere between 60-80 g of protein which ends up being around 700-900 calories. ive definitely become more of a savory over sweet person post-op - i completely forgot about sweets this christmas! xD

so far ive lost about 120 lbs (85 lbs post-op) and 48 inches overall. i got new workout clothes for christmas because nothing fits anymore! xD ive gone from 5x to 2x clothes, and a tight size 28 pants to a loose 18-20!

im trying so hard - this cold really has me frustrated because i want to work out and keep up my progress, but i have to stay home for now and not get sicker or get anyone else sick.

Edited by kukuiokalani

11 hours ago, kukuiokalani said:

oof my hair is falling out, too :( ive lost a ton of weight post-op, and ive been stalled the past week or so because my period has finally come back (yay? o.O), and ive caught a cold (double yay xD). im not struggling super hard eating anything in particular, but sometimes nothing sounds good or goes down easily. i struggled early on with various complications and strictures, but i haven't needed an endoscopy to widen my stomach pouch connection since the end of november! i think im finally out of the woods! :)

i try sooo hard to hit my daily Protein goals but it's difficult. my dietitian has me aiming for 80 g of Protein daily and i am regularly hitting somewhere between 60-80 g of protein which ends up being around 700-900 calories. ive definitely become more of a savory over sweet person post-op - i completely forgot about sweets this christmas! xD

so far ive lost about 120 lbs (85 lbs post-op) and 48 inches overall. i got new workout clothes for christmas because nothing fits anymore! xD ive gone from 5x to 2x clothes, and a tight size 28 pants to a loose 18-20!

im trying so hard - this cold really has me frustrated because i want to work out and keep up my progress, but i have to stay home for now and not get sicker or get anyone else sick.

Wow it sounds like you are doing amazing!! Sorry you started off so rough but you are doing great, you should be so proud! I wish I could forget sweets. I've never been one that ate a ton of sweets but if they are in my reach I'll have some. That's why I usually just don't keep any in the house but Christmas seems to be the exception.

I'm finally able to get most of my protein without the shakes but I still enjoy eating a protein yogurt for Breakfast every day so that gives me a good start. Although I do love my hot chai made with a Protein Shake but only the vanilla from fairlife. I tried like 3 other vanillas and didn't like them at all. So I still do eat some protein items but its because I like the flavors instead of needing it. My goal is lower than yours though, I'm supposed to have 60 per day.

You are doing amazing at working hard at your goals, can't wait to hear what the next 3 months brings for you :) I hope our hair struggles are short lived but I know its all worth it in the end.

Don't know how many of us are still left reading these forums but I miss you all! Just hit my 4 month mark and I'm down a little over 50 pounds, yay! Before surgery I was just hoping that I could hit that goal before my cruise and I did! I have another month before I sail so maybe I'll hit 60 pounds down and that will be the best. Weight loss has slowed down but I did expect that. I'm hoping to keep losing at about 10 pounds per month now which is what I did this month and I also lost 7 inches. My hair is definitely thinning so I cut my almost waist long hair to shoulder length and I actually love it. Scary to see the loss at my temples but I know its temporary so I'm trying not to stress too much. I had my blood tested and all of my levels are good but they do want me to take a little more Iron because they want me to be above average. I finally tried on a smaller pair of pants and was surprised to see that I could fit into a 14 and its not even tight. I haven't been this size in over 10 years. My brain still thinks I'm the same size to its nice to be able to put on clothing and see proof of loss. I had to buy ring adjusters because my wedding ring was getting scary loose so now its tight and safe again. I can't believe how much has changed in just 4 months and I'm so happy I had the surgery. I hope you all are well and come back and visit sometime lol :)

Sleeved 9-1-22. Hope4NewMe, you are doing great. I have lost 40+ pounds. I am at 158 today. Had several stalls but I guess that is to be expected. My hair is shedding right now, too. My bloodwork levels are good. It does feel good to put on smaller sizes, doesn't it? I gain weight all over and am losing it the same way. Which is good, I guess but it makes it hard to actually SEE changes. Hmmm, smaller but the same shape. You said, "you're brain still thinks I am the same size". Maybe my brain is doing the same thing! I, too, am so glad I had this surgery. Have fun on your cruise!

Yes, crazy good to wear those smaller sizes! I've been losing so fast that I've actually dropped through some clothes I bought after surgery. I still struggle to see it myself sometimes, but going from a tight 44 to a lose 38 waist in pants makes it pretty obvious.

I've had a few major stalls as well, but am officially down over 100 pounds now. I'm obviously really happy about that, but also a bit shocked at how fast it's come off.

@Hope4NewMe don't count on maintaining a 10 pound loss per month. For the math geeks, most of the time weight loss follows a pattern called exponential decay. It looks something like this:

The exponential function - Math Insight

The important takeaway is that the closer you get to goal, the slower the loss.

19 hours ago, tx2az said:

Sleeved 9-1-22. Hope4NewMe, you are doing great. I have lost 40+ pounds. I am at 158 today. Had several stalls but I guess that is to be expected. My hair is shedding right now, too. My bloodwork levels are good. It does feel good to put on smaller sizes, doesn't it? I gain weight all over and am losing it the same way. Which is good, I guess but it makes it hard to actually SEE changes. Hmmm, smaller but the same shape. You said, "you're brain still thinks I am the same size". Maybe my brain is doing the same thing! I, too, am so glad I had this surgery. Have fun on your cruise!

Congrats! Sounds like you are doing amazing! I think you are right that losing weight all over makes it harder to see, at least to ourselves. Hope our hair decides to stop falling out soon lol. Thank you for the update, its nice to read and hear about how others are doing.

12 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

Yes, crazy good to wear those smaller sizes! I've been losing so fast that I've actually dropped through some clothes I bought after surgery. I still struggle to see it myself sometimes, but going from a tight 44 to a lose 38 waist in pants makes it pretty obvious.

I've had a few major stalls as well, but am officially down over 100 pounds now. I'm obviously really happy about that, but also a bit shocked at how fast it's come off.

@Hope4NewMe don't count on maintaining a 10 pound loss per month. For the math geeks, most of the time weight loss follows a pattern called exponential decay. It looks something like this:

The exponential function - Math Insight

The important takeaway is that the closer you get to goal, the slower the loss.

Wow, 100 pounds in just 4 months is outstanding!! You are so close to your goal too! I do know that weight loss slows down which is why I said that I hope that I can have that happen. I guess its better to be prepared if it doesn't but I like having hope lol. Thank you for the wonderful update, I'm so happy that you are doing so well!

Ok how is everyone doing??? Where are all of you on your journeys???

I'm in another stall but other then that all is well :) How are you?

On 01/30/2023 at 09:53, Hope4NewMe said:

I'm in another stall but other then that all is well :) How are you?

I hit one for a while but am 45 lbs away from my goal and according to my dr I only have a few more weeks to reach it. He wanted me there by the 6th month and I don’t see it happening… I am so disappointed!