Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September surgery buddies!!

On 9/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, kellyarw95 said:

Well f**k. I was hoping recovery was gonna be easy breezy and I wouldn't need to take time off.

My surgery was on Thursday Sept 1. I am retired so I didn't have to worry about that. However, I truly believe I would have been able to return to work quickly, maybe by the following Monday or Tuesday. Luckily, I have not had the problems some people have had. Everybody is different. I didn't have to take any pain meds or anything for nausea. Only little pain I had was in the incisions pulling a little. My daughter carried twins and suggested I use a belly sling, which sounded like good idea, but I decided to just use a long cami and kind bunched it up under my lower belly to give some support. Totally worked for me. Wishing you great success! I am also from Texas, living in Arizona since I retired from teaching school. Good luck!

Tomorrow is the big day September 14 a day I’ll remember

1 hour ago, SleeveMeToIt said:

Hi Sept Surgery Buddies!

I just wanted to report an astounding success that all of you would understand. I go in for surgery day after tomorrow so I am neck deep in my liquid diet. I only had to do it for a week and messed up the first two days. But I got myself totally focused and have done well since and was feeling great yesterday after not even feeling hungry.

Today we had company lunch out at a restaurant that I couldn't avoid. I'm talking bar and grill with ALL the food, starting with many apps across the table. Everyone ordered food, I ordered a refill on my Water. It was tricky because I haven't told anyone about my surgery. Just said I wasn't hungry. And it was true! I wasn't!! Whoda thunk it?!?

Felt good to have my head in the right spot and still enjoy the company of my co-workers in the face of such temptation.

Going in at 11am on Sept. 15! Will report back on my experience - thanks so much to those of you that continue to do so. It is incredibly helpful!

Hi surgery buddy twin my surgery is on the 15th also don't know what time yet, ill find out tommorow, good for you on the temptation, i had a slip up last week not good, been on pre op diet 2 weeks, im feeling good anxious, scared , excited all i one prayers for you during your surgery

5 hours ago, loli_lotus said:

Questions don't bother me at all! I feel pretty good, plenty of energy but I can't do much because stretching pulls my incisions, and while I can ignore the pain, I really want to heal properly. A spot that's maybe my shoulder blade is still sore, and I'm pretty sure it's from the surgery positioning, for days my shoulder and neck muscles were tight.

I didn't really like sweet before, so the Premier Protein shakes are extra gross to me, but I can get it down slightly frozen. Fairlife goes down a little easier. Bone Broth mixed with ramen starter broth is pretty good. I've gotten a little better, but I've been getting painful excess stomach acid almost every time I consume anything, even Water, so it's making it hard to be consistent. I called my surgeons office yesterday and asked if I could take a Tums and they okayed one at a time and that made things a little better. So, we'll see how today goes lol.

I'm glad you are feeling better! I'm getting worried about the pain but it seems that if I take the pain meds and it only lasts a few days then I'll be ok. Just have to get through it. I love the premier so I hope I don't hate it after my surgery. I bought some fairlife just in case but I don't like milk so we'll see. Sorry you are having acid issues. I already have acid issues normally which is why I'm going for the bypass. Hopefully yours will settle down soon. Thank you for all the insight, it really helps!

On 09/13/2022 at 19:12, Hope4NewMe said:

I'm glad you are feeling better! I'm getting worried about the pain but it seems that if I take the pain meds and it only lasts a few days then I'll be ok. Just have to get through it. I love the premier so I hope I don't hate it after my surgery. I bought some fairlife just in case but I don't like milk so we'll see. Sorry you are having acid issues. I already have acid issues normally which is why I'm going for the bypass. Hopefully yours will settle down soon. Thank you for all the insight, it really helps!

Hopefully you will be pain free for the most part. I find myself taking the pain meds at night and if I have to be in a car long periods of time. Post op day 1.

5 hours ago, JustAMomATX said:

So glad to hear that it gets better! I, too, tried the badass route and it didn’t go so well. I ran out of my pain med supply yesterday, had a rough night then tried to go to work (office job) today. WRONG. I called my surgeon for another round of meds and I’m back home now after a half day at work. By lunchtime, I was hunched over trying not to stress my incisions and praying I could make it to the car without screaming. I’m going to stay down a couple of more days. I definitely think a full week of rest is needed! My surgery was 9/9 so I’ll try to go back to work 9/15 or 16 - maybe.

Sorry you had such a rough time! Glad you will get more time to rest and heal.

Good evening. So i had my gastric bypass yesterday morning. Have to say everything is going well. No pain, no gas, kinda feels like i did nothing. Incision is very small, my dr was great! So happy i went through with it and didn't back down!

41 minutes ago, saida76 said:

Good evening. So i had my gastric bypass yesterday morning. Have to say everything is going well. No pain, no gas, kinda feels like i did nothing. Incision is very small, my dr was great! So happy i went through with it and didn't back down!

That's awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!

23 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

Wow, lots of new folks joining us this week. Welcome all!

I'm finishing up my first week of my pre-surgery diet today. I'm on 3-4 Protein Drinks and 64 oz Fluid per day. No meals.

Honestly, it hasn't been a big deal at all. I think what's helping me is lots of variety and just staying busy to keep my thoughts off things I'm not supposed to eat. Plus, I wasn't really eating all that much before this, so the transition wasn't too drastic.

My Protein sources:

My Fluid Sources:

• coffee
  • Herbal Iced Tea
  • Store Bought low-sodium broth
  • Millie's Sippin' broth (these are a nice change of pace)

Other:

• I'm allowed 1 cucumber or pickle a day (it's nice to have something to crunch)
  • sugar free Jello (I don't really count this toward my fluid intake, though I could.

What will you do if after surgery you can no longer tolerate anything sweet..like the shakes, Jello, pudding, etc? I ask only because I relied on those items and my Gatorade Zero w/protein and after surgery I have not been able to stomach any of them. I would not have survived if it weren’t for creamy chicken Soup broth. 😂 Just something to think about. Tastes sometimes change drastically, apparently.

1 hour ago, La El said:

What will you do if after surgery you can no longer tolerate anything sweet..like the shakes, Jello, pudding, etc? I ask only because I relied on those items and my Gatorade Zero w/protein and after surgery I have not been able to stomach any of them. I would not have survived if it weren’t for creamy chicken Soup broth. 😂 Just something to think about. Tastes sometimes change drastically, apparently.

That's where the Bone Broth comes in. Plus, I have some unflavored Protein Powder that I can add to regular broth or even Water if needed. I just have not used it yet since I didn't have the need. Also, I'm only on Liquid Protein for days 4-7, then I can add in cottage cheese & ricotta cheese. At that point, the old standby Ricotta Cheese Bake may be my friend for week 2.

Hello September surgery friends! I had my rny surgery on 9/7. It's nice to meet all of you and I hope your surgeries have gone / are going to go well! 😊

3 hours ago, saida76 said:

That's awesome! I'm guessing you may have had a nerve block like exparel? This will block the pain for roughly 72 hours, but when it wears off, you may start to have some pain. Hopefully by then it's minimal and will be easily controlled.

8 hours ago, La El said:

Try the clear Protein Drinks if things taste excessively sweet. I’m not sure why but I had the same issue and those weren’t nearly as bad. Also I found one flavor Protein Shake that wasn’t too sweet but it has caffeine so check your plan if you are allowed to have it try premiere Protein caffe latte. I had the clear protein drinks by premiere protein as well but there are many brands that make them. I suggest trying to find these at convenience stores so you can try just one without buying a case. Walmart sells a four pack of the caffe latte though and it’s much cheaper than convenience store so may as well get that.

Edited by ShoppGirl

On 09/14/2022 at 00:33, kukuiokalani said:

Hello September surgery friends! I had my rny surgery on 9/7. It's nice to meet all of you and I hope your surgeries have gone / are going to go well! 😊

Oh gosh. Hope not... I'm taking Tylenol anyway just in case. Hopefully if that's the case i hope it's not so bad.