Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-PreOP Diet and Appointment Jitters

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but have been reading a lot of the posts. I just created my profile. My preop for surgery is next week and my surgery is scheduled in August. I'm in complete panic as I gained weight since this process started back in February. I'm worried the doctor and nutritionist will berate me or worse, kick me out of the program and deny my surgery. I'm also really stressing about this Pre-Op Diet. I don't know all the details yet about my specific diet, but I'm sure it will be very harsh. I have Fatty Liver Disease and my liver is incredibly inflamed. They are going to want me on the diet immediately after meeting with them and I just don't know if I can do it. I don't like being hungry, it's one of the most uncomfortable feelings to me. It just sounds like sheer misery is in store and I'm scared about all this. My husband is being as supportive as possible, but he can't seem to stop snacking in front of me! Please tell me your experiences with pre-op appointments and the diet.

Edited by LRSB
mispelling

i gained a couple pounds from my first consult to my pre op appointment. It happens. as for the pre op diet... Yea its not easy. i dont know how long you will be on yours as you havent posted any weight or height in your profile but most common is 2 weeks. yea it sucks the first few days. After about 4-5 days you start to adjust and are not as hungry anymore. and yes that hunger feeling is horrible. but just think about what it will be like after surgery. I am almost 3 months post op. Rarely ever hungry. I gotta remind myself to eat and drink. Just gotta get thru this final step of the pre op diet and you will be golden.

I doubt your team will berate you and if so I would consider a new team. (If possible) The entire reason you are there is because of the struggle.

I believe every teams (surgeons) requirements are different. Mine had a "final" weight check it was the last time you were weighed before surgery would be scheduled. At that point in time you had to be close to where you started but some gain or loss was acceptable. BUT at that point up until your surgery day you could NOT gain weight. If you gained weight, your surgery would be rescheduled.

My pre-op diet was technically 10 days but I did it for 14 days because I didn't want to start it over a weekend. I thought it would be easier while I was occupied at work. I was correct, by time the weekend came I was ok and got thru it pretty easily. I am sure it also has to do with what your pre-op diet allows. Mine was 4 Protein Shakes a day plus you were given a list of foods that you could eat up to 6 servings of each day. The ability to actually eat and chew made it easier for me.

You will be fine, just put on your big kid pants and get determined! You can do anything with determination.

Good luck!

I seriously doubt they will say anything about your gain unless they specifically told you not to gain? Our weights fluctuate and they know that. My pre op diet wasn’t bad. I was allowed 2 shakes and then a lean Protein low carb dinner (meat and veggies). Plus we had free foods like Jello and pickles we could have if we just had to eat something. If I remember correctly we could chose between shakes and yogurt. And we were allowed to have broth. I didn’t love it but I wasn’t starving at all. Even if your is more strict because of your liver you just gotta keep your eye on the prize. I know I could do anything for a week or two in order to change my life for the better. And during that diet, if it gets a little touch check out the thread called “weirdest non scale victories” and see some of the changes you have to look forward to post surgery. Also, whenever you want to eat, hop on here and get talking. We are here to help you through it.

Worrying is a waste of time. Try not to do it. You can loose a lot of sleep whilst worrying. Nobody likes doing the Pre Op diet, Its a form of cruelty that goes on and on. If you want the surgery you will have to do it, especially as you have the fatty liver. My time in purgatory lasted 3 weeks, I wanted the surgery so badly, I slipped once and had to cross my fingers behind my back that he didn't open me up and say he couldn't do the surgery. Good luck with your journey.

Yeah, the pre-op diet is truly just a matter of toughening up, staying focused on why you're doing it, and soldiering through it. It's not fun, but it's only a couple of weeks. Totally doable. Remind yourself "it's not forever" because it's not. Surgery will arrive before you know it, and honestly, my pre-surgery nervous energy helped getting me through the liver shrinking diet. Distract yourself, stay busy. Eyes on the prize.

Thank you everyone. Just feeling a little down and defeated, I guess. I know I'll get through it because I have to in order to better my life and hopefully get rid of this awful Diabetes and excessive insulin (two of three main goals behind doing this, the other of course is losing weight).

Also, I tried to update my profile to include all the stuff you all have under your names like weight, surgery date, etc, and I couldn't figure out where to do it. I'll check some of the help boards now.

1 hour ago, LRSB said:

Thank you everyone. Just feeling a little down and defeated, I guess. I know I'll get through it because I have to in order to better my life and hopefully get rid of this awful Diabetes and excessive insulin (two of three main goals behind doing this, the other of course is losing weight).

Also, I tried to update my profile to include all the stuff you all have under your names like weight, surgery date, etc, and I couldn't figure out where to do it. I'll check some of the help boards now.

You did figure it out, it is there dear.

On 07/07/2022 at 09:29, LRSB said:

Take a deep breath… give yourself a little grace and just be honest with your team when you talk to them.

When I had my first appointment they gave me instructions on what my program required (I didn’t have to loose weight but I couldn’t gain weight). Had my final weigh in today. The dietitian I met with was super nice - she said to call if I had questions, concerns or got off track and she (or her team mate) would answer any questions I had or make recommendations for getting back on track.

If you are worried about what the pre-op diet is, can you ask for an appointment with the program dietitian/nutritionist so that you can talk about your concerns or ask questions about what is involved?

Maybe knowing some more information will help set your mind at ease. I was given the pre-op diet ahead of time to go over and ask questions to make sure I understood what they wanted. I started trying some of the options so when the time comes I know I can tolerate the options to make the whole process easier.

I also have a very enlarged liver - and NASH … that’s what sent me down the path for surgery. I expressed that concern when I talked to the program psychologist about having the surgery. She reassured me that I’m not the only person the surgeons have had to address that with and the nutritionist reiterated that today. The whole point of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver, make it more pliable and help the surgeons be able to safely do the surgery.

You can get back on track and while I’m not looking forward to my own Pre-op, I know it will be difficult… but we can get through this.

You have a lot of support on here and we are all with you in this.