Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Is The Connecticut Band Fam

Sharona, Don't listen to the web site that says copy the link, just copy the actual TICKER and then paste that in your signature. Try again!

I had the same problem the first time.

Hi,

I just found this tread. I live in Brigeport, CT and was banded on 1/23/08 by Dr. Craig Floch in Norwalk hospital. I was on Optifast from Jan 9th until 2 days prior to surgery with a weight loss of 19lbs. I lost another nine after surgery, but once I started eating solids I gained five back. Has this happened to anyone else? I callled the Norwalk office yesterday, and one of the ladies stated this was.

So far everything I've eaten has not resulted in any problems. I was given the ok this week to get back in the gym, but I'm not up to the regimen I was doing prior to surgery since my calorie consumption is about 500 for the day. I go for my first fill on 2/25 so we'll see if my weight moves before and after that.

weight.png

Hi, Glad you found the Ct group! I was banded by Dr. Ehrlich at ST. V's.

It is totally normal to gain some weight back once you go off liquids. solid food in our bodies holds more Water (that's why we lose so quickly on liquids) and this is gross, but our colons will start to hold the solid material as well, until it's, ummmm expelled.

Unfortunately, from the time of banding to the time we get good restriction from the fills, if you want to continue to lose or not gain, some dieting might be needed.

Be sure to track your Protein intake. I use a glass of Isopure CLEAR if I need to boost my daily intake. 1/2 bottle is 80 calories but 20 gms of Protein. An Atkins shake is ok, but twice the calories and only 15 gms protein.

Please read the thread on "How fills work" by Wendell. If you can't find it try an advanced search on the web site. The "search" is found at the top of the forum page. Remember your band is not working to it's best until you get to the right fill that tightens it to fit YOUR stomach. Everyone is different.

I've had five fills and still don't have good restriction, but the next fill or two should get me there. In the meantime, I count calories and track protein. Even tho' my band is not tight yet, it does give me a little restriction to fall back on.

Tina: Go to tickerfactory.com or click on anybody's ticker on the forum. Create your ticker and bookmark the page. Copy and paste the actual ticker onto your "signature" under the "my account" page on the forum.

Your account is at the top right of the forum page. then anytime you update your ticker, it will update on the forum, too!

The first time I followed the directions, I copied the link as the page said to do, but it didn;t work, so I just copied and pasted the actual ticker and that worked.

Shortgal: Thanks for your response. I'm on stage 4 now until next Wednesday. Was your caloric intake the same at this stage? I usually get in 70-80 grams of Protein daily and I keep track of my calories on My-Calorie-counter.com.

Congratulations Sharon, By 3/12 I should hopefully be on my feet and moving around. Yesterday was long. I had to take a 4 page quiz, pre admission, met with the anesthisia nurse, answered too many questions over and over,and was there 2 hours. I begin my Optifast diet Mon. for 12 days and the last 3 days until surgery I am on a clear liquid diet. I'm going to work very hard not to be grouchy. Thanks for asking about the ticker I have to get my going too. We are almost there!!!!

Talk 2 u soon, Chris

Judy,

I think I got the ticker to work. Thanks!

It is strange how every surgeon has their own routines for their patients, including pre and post diets. I had my lapband on Monday, 2/11 and came home on low fat full liquids, which include sf carnation instant Breakfast, Protein Shakes, chicken or beef broth, egg drop Soup, strained cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, sf ice pops and plenty of non caloric drinks throughout the day. I have been ok with this but to tell you the truth, I feel hungry today and I don't know how I am going to do this until the 27th, which is my post op appt. Any suggestions?

Tina

Shortgal: Thanks for your response. I'm on stage 4 now until next Wednesday. Was your caloric intake the same at this stage? I usually get in 70-80 grams of Protein daily and I keep track of my calories on My-Calorie-counter.com.

I vary between 800 and 1200 calories and I try to get a min of 60 gms of Protein in. When I get a fill, I am on full liquids for two days and I guess I swell a little after a fill becasue I feel kind of tight, so on those days, my calories might be 600. Then I do two days of soft food as I re-discover the foods that agree with my new level of restriction.

I see you found the November banders Spring Challenge. Glad you joined in.

You might want to also look for the group that was banded on Jan. '08 like you, because they will be at the same post -op phase as you are. I found it very helpful to have forum contact with those that are ahead of me and those that are in the same place.

Judy,

I think I got the ticker to work. Thanks!

It is strange how every surgeon has their own routines for their patients, including pre and post diets. I had my lapband on Monday, 2/11 and came home on low fat full liquids, which include sf carnation instant breakfast, Protein shakes, chicken or beef broth, egg drop Soup, strained cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, sf ice pops and plenty of non caloric drinks throughout the day. I have been ok with this but to tell you the truth, I feel hungry today and I don't know how I am going to do this until the 27th, which is my post op appt. Any suggestions?

Tina

Hunger is an issue after the swelling from surgery does down. The best thing to fight the hunger is Protein as it stays with us longer and avoiding the carbs. How many carbs in the carnation instant b'fast? You might want to look for one with less carbs and more protein. I used the Atkins shakes.< /p>

Your lucky to be on full liquids right away, I was on Clear Liquids for the first week and going to full liquids was a relief for me. I stayed on full for two weeks and skipped moving to the pureed phase. I hate real food blended up.

I found the Protein Shakes fairly satisifying.

Are you tracking your protein? Try to keep the protein intake evenly spaced throughout the day.

Not everyone likes it, but I used ( and still do) the Isopure CLEAR drink. One bottle has the same calories as an Atkins shake but no carbs and 40 gms of protein. I had a 1/2 bottle for b'fast today. They have several flavors and are available at GNC stores.

The first few weeks are for healing, but I did monitor my calories becasue I didn't have a liquid pre-op diet and I really didn;t want to gain during the first few weeks post op.

Hope that helps!

Hi Chris

Congratulations!!! when is your actual surgery date? It is funny that every doctor has their own way of jumping through hoops.

sharon:) lets see if my ticker works this time!!!!

Hooray...it works!!!

Here's to losing lots of fat this year. Lets see how much weight Connecticut can lose by August of 2008!!!

sharon:)