Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August surgery buddies!

Anyone who has had the surgery gotten a strange stitch in their side? Its not the incision its deeper inside. Painful to yawn or breathe really deeply.

Also, anyone else get random hiccups. Like just one when nothing has happened to cause it. Like this morning I woke up, had 1 hiccup and then winced because it hurt my side. I don’t really have gas pain anymore and I’m doing my walking, staying hydrated and taking in my Protein regular. Not many issues there.

btw its my left side.

I also have random single hiccups. I'm 20 days post op and have had them almost every day. I had a hiatal hernia repair. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I also had a pain on my left side and it popped one night and hurt for a few minutes and then went away. I think it was an anchoring stitch, but maybe that's what it is for you too?

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I have to be at the hospital at 6:30 am. I’m an early riser so it’s no big deal. I’m feeling a little nervous and hoping everything goes well with my hiatal hernia repair and then the RNY. I hear the recovery from the hernia repair is pretty rough so I’m dreading that. I’m nervous but ready to get this show on the road!! [emoji1695][emoji1695][emoji1317][emoji16]
You're going to do great!

Surgery went well! Lots of pain and nausea Friday night through yesterday morning but I turned the corner a little before noon. They were going to keep me an extra day, but once I started keeping my Water down for a couple hours in a row they let me go home a little after 5. sleeping in my own bed last night was fantastic. I think I slept for almost 11 hours. Feeling better this morning. Getting my water down and walking every four hours or more often if I need to. Hope everyone else is doing well!

I think I know what’s going on and I just wanted to check in to see if this sounds like others experience.

I lost about 10 pounds pre-op liquid (despite getting my period the day before surgery). I had also been loosing weight prior to starting the liquid diet. The first week after surgery I dropped 23 pounds! I started purées This past Wednesday and I’ve been struggling with my Protein goals and my calories are a little low - trying to make sure I stay hydrated has been my priority and I’m having trouble getting it all

I haven’t really lost any weight since starting purées, but I’m assuming the big drop initially and not hitting protein and calorie goals - my body is in a stall until I can work that out. Does that sound right?

I’m hoping as I go through the next week - I can adjust and see some movement. I’m trying not to stress about it because I know this can happen - I just wasn’t expecting it quite yet.

Any advice?

28 minutes ago, Dogmom68 said:

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I have to be at the hospital at 6:30 am. I’m an early riser so it’s no big deal. I’m feeling a little nervous and hoping everything goes well with my hiatal hernia repair and then the RNY. I hear the recovery from the hernia repair is pretty rough so I’m dreading that. I’m nervous but ready to get this show on the road!! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🙏🏻😁

I had my rny and hiatal hernia repair on 8/19. The first couple of days were rough, but now I feel great. slight pain when I turn or move a certain way, but I feel fine. When I left the hospital I was told to hold a pillow or blanket over my belly when I get out of bed etc. At first I forgot, but then when I remembered what a world of difference. I also slept on my side with my belly resting on a pillow. that helped ease the pain tremendously. So remember, pillows are your belly's best friend after surgery!

On 08/28/2022 at 11:13, LibbyAbby said:

I had my rny and hiatal hernia repair on 8/19. The first couple of days were rough, but now I feel great. slight pain when I turn or move a certain way, but I feel fine. When I left the hospital I was told to hold a pillow or blanket over my belly when I get out of bed etc. At first I forgot, but then when I remembered what a world of difference. I also slept on my side with my belly resting on a pillow. that helped ease the pain tremendously. So remember, pillows are your belly's best friend after surgery!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I have an abdominal binder and am wondering if that will help me after the surgery. I used one after my hysterectomy and it was a godsend! I’ll definitely remember to keep lots of pillows handy, though!

On 08/28/2022 at 10:45, karakent said:

Good luck! Sending you good vibes! You’re going to do great!

Thank you!!!💕

2 hours ago, karakent said:

Anyone who has had the surgery gotten a strange stitch in their side? Its not the incision its deeper inside. Painful to yawn or breathe really deeply.

Also, anyone else get random hiccups. Like just one when nothing has happened to cause it. Like this morning I woke up, had 1 hiccup and then winced because it hurt my side. I don’t really have gas pain anymore and I’m doing my walking, staying hydrated and taking in my Protein regular. Not many issues there.

btw its my left side.

Yep on the painful to yawn/breathe deeply and also random hiccups. I haven't had hiccups all day but far more than I usually do, and I wince.

2 hours ago, amazingmimi said:

Surgery went well! Lots of pain and nausea Friday night through yesterday morning but I turned the corner a little before noon. They were going to keep me an extra day, but once I started keeping my Water down for a couple hours in a row they let me go home a little after 5. sleeping in my own bed last night was fantastic. I think I slept for almost 11 hours. Feeling better this morning. Getting my Water down and walking every four hours or more often if I need to. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Sounds like you're doing really well after a rocky start ❤️

2 hours ago, Dogmom68 said:

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I have to be at the hospital at 6:30 am. I’m an early riser so it’s no big deal. I’m feeling a little nervous and hoping everything goes well with my hiatal hernia repair and then the RNY. I hear the recovery from the hernia repair is pretty rough so I’m dreading that. I’m nervous but ready to get this show on the road!! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🙏🏻😁

Best wishes! I wonder if the diligent care we have to take care of ourselves post-bariatric helps gird us for future operations or health challenges, so I suspect you'll do really well with the recovery!

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out :) my surgery was done on the 17th of this month and im supposed to start my Multivitamins asap. My Multivitamin comes in a capsule form and opening the capsule and take it with clear liquid was a fail. Should there be a problem if i take the capsule as is?

5 hours ago, Dogmom68 said:

Had the same on Tuesday. Feel pretty good except for swelling. I think the hernia repair is part of that. So far recovery is better than expected. Best of luck!

8 hours ago, Dogmom68 said:

I hope everything goes well!! I had the same procedures; hernia + RNY on August 9th, so reach out to me if you have any questions!

On Tuesday I will be 3-weeks Post-Op! I went back to work last week and OMG it was rough. I'm still not eating a lot, so I was EXHAUSTED by mid-day. I've been taking naps when I get home...like "If I don't lay down RIGHT NOW I'd going to fall asleep driving/standing up" kind of naps. Reminds me of the exhaustion during my pregnancy!

Something they didn't tell me (but they said they did tell me): about 10-14 days post-op you might feel intense pain on your left side. Like a pulling, twinging, sharp pain that gets worse when you bend over or try to sit or even move the wrong way. Totally different pain that the post-op pain. Apparently this is caused because all the swelling is gone and your stomach/intestines are no longer "cushioned" within that swelling so they move around a bit more and the internal stitches/incisions are moving around. Nothing to be worried about and completely normal (according to my office). But holy cats was it scary!!!! I thought FOR SURE something was wrong.

Water goals are FINALLY reached.

Protein goals are still not being reached. I can't count Protein Shakes towards water goals at all, they count as meals. And I cannot drink an entire shake during 1 meal...it's split between 2.

Vitamins are going well except the Calcium. They have me taking TUMS for the first 3 months and I cannot for the life of me chew them and keep them down. I have to call them tomorrow to see if I can switch to something else because the TUMS make me so ill that I have stopped taking them all together.

Had my first little "mini-stall" right on schedule during week 2. Lasted 3 days. I'm moving down again!

I'm having a really, really big problem with Constipation. I'm taking Miralax in my water every morning & 2 stool softeners daily and I still don't have any poop movement unless I take a mega-dose of additional laxatives. I'll go 3-4 days without pooping, then take the mega-dose of laxatives, have a really bad evening and then start over and do that cycle again. I've talked to my doctor about it and I don't think they are understanding what a big problem this is.

9 hours ago, LookingForward22 said:

I think I know what’s going on and I just wanted to check in to see if this sounds like others experience.

I lost about 10 pounds pre-op liquid (despite getting my period the day before surgery). I had also been loosing weight prior to starting the liquid diet. The first week after surgery I dropped 23 pounds! I started purées This past Wednesday and I’ve been struggling with my Protein goals and my calories are a little low - trying to make sure I stay hydrated has been my priority and I’m having trouble getting it all

I haven’t really lost any weight since starting purées, but I’m assuming the big drop initially and not hitting Protein and calorie goals - my body is in a stall until I can work that out. Does that sound right?

I’m hoping as I go through the next week - I can adjust and see some movement. I’m trying not to stress about it because I know this can happen - I just wasn’t expecting it quite yet.

Any advice?

Sounds about right. I've gained and lost 150+ pounds at 3 points in my life, and whenever I dropped like a stone, I'd hit a plateau. I think it especially makes sense in light of not hitting your protein goals... I keep hearing that's hard for people who don't like Protein Shakes (understandable). I hit my 65 just barely with 2 protein shakes + Greek yogurt, and it feels like I'm setting timers all day to either be eating or hydrating so I don't forget.

Anyway, I totally wouldn't stress about the stall. I'm sure it will start coming off again soon. :)