Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 minute ago, ShoppGirl said:

It probably didn’t sell because it didn’t taste very good. I can’t imagine cream cheese with no fat.

Yeah same here. I mean I probably saw it at some point and passed right by it while I was grabbing regular cream cheese, lol.

Hello all. I am two weeks post op. My surgeon combines the full liquid and puree stage. He said at week 3 I can start soft foods.
I love yogurt now. I found a no sugar added 25g Protein yogurt. I eat half for Breakfast with my meds and chewable Vitamin since it had Iron and Iron on a stomach with no food will make you nauseated. So there's 25g of Protein. I drink enough Water cause I loooove Water so that's not an issue.
The Issue is I am not hitting the protein req. I've never liked Protein Shakes, they've always tastes bad. Since the surgery though Protein shakes make me nauseated just thinking about one. I tried today to force one down. Three sips in I was on the verge of vomiting and 10 minutes later was dry heaving. The thought of the shakes make me almost vomit. Idk what to do here. Even protein powders have the same effect. I tried the protein Soups too same effect. I don't think my body tolerates that kind of protein.
What do I eat?
I tried a scrambled egg (pureed even further) it went down ok but I don't really like eggs and they're only 6g of protein.
Also I still can't eat much at a time. I think I max out at 3 oz of yogurt. I've been subsisting on yogurt mainly. I tried tuna as well (made a tuna salad) tolerated that like a champ. Issue with canned tuna is you WILL get mercury poisoning from it. Three cans in a week can cause mercury poisoning. I got some expensive canned tuna that SAYS it's been mercury tested to be within 0.1 part per million and a can is 40g of protein.
Since they want you to not drink water 30 before or after eating I'm also thirsty. I always want to drink water. I always have this is not new post op, I've always been this way. It's like torture not drinking water.
So mainly I'm asking what can I eat to help with protein?
Any tips on helping with the water issue?
I just don't know what to do. I'm tired of being nauseated all the time.

Hello [emoji847]

You are doing amazingly, well done! I am in the exact same position as you, I hate Protein Drinks of any kind with a passion. My surgeon told me not to panic over protein in the first few weeks, he said recovering and fluids are more important initially. I have followed his advice and haven't lost any muscle so far and I'm three weeks out. I drink glasses of cold milk with a scoop of skimmed powdered milk mixed in to add extra protein. I also add a tea spoon or two of it to my yogurts. I have mixed low fat dairylea cheese with mash and thin sliced ham. Mug of hot milk and coffee (although some say no coffee), cooked chicken in a casserole with carrots, onions, parsnips, sweet potato, butternut squash and lots of peas and a few lentils for extra protein. This was cooked in a pot in the oven, or it could go in a slow cooker, and cooked until the vegetables were extremely soft. Easy to eat, a tonne of nutrients and Vitamins and plenty of protein all in one meal. I also don't mind eating low fat cottage cheese in various flavours. Hope this help you [emoji3059]

Sent from my SM-G980F using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh yeah, Protein Shakes are hideous. I even found the so called flavourless pea Protein still had a unpleasant taste to me (& I love peas). I stopped them when I started purées. I loved yoghurt drinks too. I found a high Protein One with a low sugar content (from the puréed fruit not added) & sipped it as a drink not a meal. I’m not a lover of tinned fish so I looked to fresh or frozen fish fillets (soft flaky white fish). If it was crumbed or battered, I’d only eat the flesh inside the coating. I did make a lot of slow cooked stew style dishes with some vegetables for flavour like bolognese & savoury mince, chicken (thigh not breast) casserole, etc. I also had very milky rolled oats most mornings (a good whole grain fibre & two sources of protein) so it was more liquid than solid & sipped it for a while. Nibbled on cubes of soft cheese like Jarslberg or string cheese too.

I haven’t read through all the replies but-

bone broth- has Protein and the added bonus of liquids.

You can make high protein milk- 4 cups skim milk with a cup of dried milk powder stirred in. The bonus to this is liquid and you can use it to make Soups to add variety.

Ricotta bake- it’s basically ricotta cheese, a couple eggs, spices and topped with marinara (or can add after) and baked. I used to make them in muffin cups to warm up later. There’s tons of recipes out there for it.

Maybe try a plant based Protein Shake to see how that goes. Many of the prepared ones and powders are whey protein as either concentrate or isolate.

Have you tried different types of Protein? There is one powder made from eggs instead of whey protein.

I had vomiting for weeks. I wasn’t able to get enough protein all that time, and I survived, so hang in there and hopefully it will get better.

Tofu and Beans are good at the pureed level and after. They are high in Protein. Another thing good protein source that I really like is PB powder. I would suggest Peanut Butter but it is high in fat, albeit good fat. I put PB powder in my smoothies, yogurt... Etc.

14 hours ago, Nikki@50 said:

coffee (although some say no coffee), cooked chicken in a casserole with carrots, onions, parsnips, sweet potato, butternut squash and lots of peas and a few lentils for extra protein

That's amazing! (The coffee is mainly cause of caffine. It's a diuretic.) My surgeon is fine with coffee as long as I get plenty of Water. I love veggies and lentils. Those are amazing ideas and ima try them! I never even thought of ham. I thought of oatmeal but most things said no oatmeal while ither said oatmeal was fine 🤔 so ima try oatmeal lol

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

even found the so called flavourless pea Protein  still had a unpleasant taste to me 

Saaaaaame I tried the unflavored peas Protein. You have to mix in a ton of fruits or sugars to have it not be gross also its grainy. I too love peas. I'm going to give oatmeal a try. Alot of ppl said no oatmeal some said oatmeal was OK idk. Guess I'll give it a go. Also ima some stews. I like Soup but canned soup is blah

12 hours ago, Starwarsandcupcakes said:

I haven’t read through all the replies but-

bone broth- has Protein and the added bonus of liquids.

You can make high Protein milk- 4 cups skim milk with a cup of dried milk powder stirred in. The bonus to this is liquid and you can use it to make Soups to add variety.

Ricotta bake- it’s basically ricotta cheese, a couple eggs, spices and topped with marinara (or can add after) and baked. I used to make them in muffin cups to warm up later. There’s tons of recipes out there for it.

Maybe try a plant based Protein Shake to see how that goes. Many of the prepared ones and powders are whey protein as either concentrate or isolate.

I have tried rice, pea, whey and whey. Literally every protein they make lol (such a waste of money) all give the same reaction.

I didn't know that about Bone Broth ty! I'll get bone broth to make my Soups. Also the powdered milk to the milk is a great idea too I thought the powdered milk would have a similar taste to the whey protein. So I'll give that a go too.

I sadly don't like ricotta. I tried the ricotta bake. I think it's that ricotta never melts its always grainy.

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

Tofu and Beans are good at the pureed level and after

I love tofu! I wasn't sure if it was alright during puree as it's listed on soft food on most things but if others have tolerated at 2.5 weeks I probably will. I've tolerated everything I've tried so far (limited as it may be) I do have PB powder from Naked Nutrition. It's a little grainy never blends to smooth but that's ok cause my brain interrupts it as like crunch PB in a drink lol

That's amazing! (The coffee is mainly cause of caffine. It's a diuretic.) My surgeon is fine with coffee as long as I get plenty of Water. I love veggies and lentils. Those are amazing ideas and ima try them! I never even thought of ham. I thought of oatmeal but most things said no oatmeal while ither said oatmeal was fine [emoji848] so ima try oatmeal lol
Quaker oat so simple Protein has 12g of protein in a 49g portion [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G980F using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Frey Zephyr said:

I love tofu! I wasn't sure if it was alright during puree as it's listed on soft food on most things but if others have tolerated at 2.5 weeks I probably will. I've tolerated everything I've tried so far (limited as it may be) I do have PB powder from Naked Nutrition. It's a little grainy never blends to smooth but that's ok cause my brain interrupts it as like crunch PB in a drink lol

Try silken tofu in smoothies! I forgot all about it. It’s smoother and not as grainy as regular tofu and blends great.

Also maybe see if you can find collagen powder. It might sit better as it’s a different Protein structure than whey, pea, or brown rice.

I also struggled with Protein Shakes. Once I was allowed coffee, I began whisking chocolate Protein Powder in my morning coffee. I use chocolate Premier Protein powder. Two scoops is a serving (30 grams of protein). I use one scoop in each mug of coffee and usually have two cups in the morning. Coffee followed by some cottage cheese or yogurt later in the morning gets me close to 50 grams of Protein before lunch.

Like others have mentioned, I was also told not to worry too much about protein at this point. You will be able to consume a little more in time.

6 hours ago, Frey Zephyr said:

I love making silken tofu Soup. I get a tofu sauce base packet, add some Water, and a pack of silken tofu and it is so good.

10 hours ago, Frey Zephyr said:

I thought of oatmeal but most things said no oatmeal while ither said oatmeal was fine 🤔 so ima try oatmeal lol

Try the instant 2 minute type of rolled oats first then progress to the traditional or cut oats on more solid food or when able to tolerate the coarser oats. Make in milk & make them fairly milky to begin.