Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cutting hair pre-op

So I am doing a sleeve to bypass on 5/6/22. I remember when I had my sleeve I did have some Hair loss. I can’t remember how bad it was though. Wondering if anyone with short hair post op had issues with hair loss? Wished you had more hair to avoid signs of hair loss? My hair is down to my mid back and it’s truly time for a hair cut in general, but I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just because hair loss is probably coming 🤣

If your hair is that long it might be a good idea to get at least some length cut off before surgery. It will be easier on your drains at least if you loose some hairs in the months after.

Shorter hair often looks thicker & bouncier (less weight of the length to pull the hair down) so it can lessen how noticeable any Hair loss is. Even though I had long thick hair I started to get that straggly thin look in the bottom 4 inches so I had that cut off about a month into the hair loss. Then I cut it to just above my shoulders after around three months of losing which is when it actually slowed & then stopped. I’ve kept the shorter length - much easier to look after.

It doesn’t matter if your hair is long or short if your natural hair loss cycle is accelerated post surgery & with your weight loss, you’ll lose hair.

I plan on getting my hair cut in the next week or so. Right now it's almost down to my butt and I plan to get it cut to just barely past my shoulders.

I have short hair - had a pixie cut at the time of surgery, grew it into a pixie shag around Christmas time. Started losing hair around month 4. I have fine hair anyway, so my hair over the last three months has noticeably thinned. I had been trying to grow it into a modern mullet shag, but uggghhh... As I told my hairdresser "It's gone to seed!". So nope, no growing it while this nonsense is going on. So last week I had it cut back into a short pixie and I'll be keeping it that way until it grows back. Even super short, it's noticeably thin. I've also stopped bleaching it for now.

If you have thick hair, you might not suffer quite as noticeable thinning. I'd advise getting it trimmed, and seeing how you go. If it starts really coming out after surgery, you can get a shorter cut.

I had hair past my butt when I had my surgery two years ago and I cut my hair to my shoulders when I was about 18 months post op. I'm glad I waited to cut my hair, personally. I had a lot of hair thin out earlier on and had my hair been shorter it would have been a lot more noticeable, but since it was longer no one but me really noticed.

My suggestion is to maintain your hair how you normally would. A nice trim always keeps things fresh. Only cut off length if that is what you want to do.

Hi redhead_che, I am a recent band to bypass conversion. I think I may know a little about how you are feeling. With the band, I felt more comfortable having long hair when anticipating hair loss/thinning.

This time, I decided to cut 17 inches of my hair about a week or so before my 4/5/22 surgery, which I plan to donate to a cancer non-profit. I am still early in my present journey and so I have not had to endure any hair loss/thinning yet, but I can attest that personally it has made showering and washing my hair a lot easier during my recovery. Also, importantly, my hair is definitely still growing despite a very low-calorie intake for the past four weeks, and I can gather my hair back in a band again. For me, a ponytail is very helpful for covering hair loss/thinning. I have no regrets at all. For what it is worth, I think you should do whatever makes you happy and comfortable.