Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 hours ago, Gym said:

I get asked this all the time. I always say if you are doing it just to loose weight then don't, the side effects are a lot to deal with. If you are doing it for mental health problems then do it.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and respectfully disagree. In my lowly opinion, WLS is NOT the cure to mental health problems (in fact, i’d go so far to say it’s probably better to get a handle - or have a plan in place - to deal with one’s mental issues before starting the road to WLS. WLS is a tool for weight loss, nothing more…

Regret and Shame. I had a Roun Y 23 years ago. The first cpl years were maGical! The weight dropped off, my skin snapped back, I could do any activity I wanted. Then somewhere between 2-5 yr I started having one more bite, a glass of wine, a bite more dessert and so on. I don’t really have dumping or a ton of restrictions. I eat like everyone else eat the table. I started putting on 10 pounds at a time and finally reached my pre op wt. Because I had an open procedure it took a long time to find the right doc to do a safe revision. My revision was last Tue. I will stay true to the guidance for the long haul. It is a precious tool, but I have to take responsibility for what passes my lips. I’m great full for the community and the support.

I'm 3 1/2 yrs post gastric bypass. Lost more than I ever dreamed I'd lose. I'm maintaining at 105 lbs. I wear a size 2P. I've had 5 surgeries in the last 3 1/2 yrs-gastric bypass, hip replacement and 3 plastic surgeries for skin removal. No complications. I'd do it all again today! Absolutely no regrets!

On 4/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, Stephanie H. said:

I’m 7 weeks post op and have all the regrets. I can’t stay hydrated and nothing seems to sit well even fluids. Can’t handle Protein Drinks or any of the Water add ins. IVs keeping me hydrated at this point. I am hungry but can’t eat and have almost no physical strength anymore. Say it gets better.

Please call your surgery center. They can prescribe anti-nausea meds that should help. There are lots of different anti-nausea meds and they are excellent. Sometimes being dehydrated causes you to be even more nauseous. Good luck!

On 4/10/2022 at 4:14 AM, Gym said:

I get asked this all the time. I always say if you are doing it just to loose weight then don't, the side effects are a lot to deal with. If you are doing it for mental health problems then do it.

Um... this surgery doesn't "fix" your mental health. It only helps you eat less. The changes in mental health require therapy and medication. This surgery is often touted as a cure-all, but in fact, there are no guarantees that your co-morbidities will go away even if you lose all of your excess weight. I have lost 113 lbs and I have more pain than ever, and my mental health is no better (I had bipolar disorder before, and I still have it). I still have high cholesterol, and I'm still tired a lot. It doesn't help me crave fewer sweets; I still want to eat junk food, and I still feel guilty about almost everything I eat.

6 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

I'm 3 1/2 yrs post gastric bypass. Lost more than I ever dreamed I'd lose. I'm maintaining at 105 lbs. I wear a size 2P. I've had 5 surgeries in the last 3 1/2 yrs-gastric bypass, hip replacement and 3 plastic surgeries for skin removal. No complications. I'd do it all again today! Absolutely no regrets!

Lynn, can you talk about the skin surgery? What you had done, results, healing time/process. I anticipate that I will look like a baked apple in a year. I am fine with skin surgery but at the same time hearing from a patient and not just the doc is so helpful!

Thanks

On 4/10/2022 at 5:46 PM, Stephanie H. said:

I go tomorrow for a EGD with dilation they believe will help. At this point I’m not sure. I just get sick every time I eat or drink now.

They'll fix you, not to worry.

On 04/11/2022 at 12:00, Tina 2.0 said:

Lynn, can you talk about the skin surgery? What you had done, results, healing time/process. I anticipate that I will look like a baked apple in a year. I am fine with skin surgery but at the same time hearing from a patient and not just the doc is so helpful!

Thanks

I also had major plastic surgery post weight loss:a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair & Lipo to my flanks, a breast lift & augmentation, and an arm lift. I took three weeks off work and felt well enough to go back at that point. My PS was Jan of 2021. My breast scars are invisible, the TT scar has lightened up significantly. The arm lift scars are still pretty pink, but I’m ok with that. I’m so glad I took that next step.

3.5 years out. ZERO regrets (other than not doing it sooner, like many others)

My eating habits have not gone “back to normal”, as in my pre-op days, but has definitely expanded since the early days post surgery.

I still eat much less and much slower than everyone else around me, but thats just fine with me. I also eat a wide range of foods (including not-as-healthy options) and am doing just fine. Been maintaining below goal weight almost 3 yrs now.

I do still dump as well, but again, this is easily avoided (not too much sugar at a time, and never on an empty stomach).

ALL of my obesity-related issues are long gone, and i feel awesome. Confidence, energy and attitude are way up (as is my wardrobe, lol).

So yeah, no regrets.

Good Luck! [emoji3590]

P.S. [mention=388871]18kDays[/mention]: are u contemplating surgery or have you already started the process?

Hi ms.ss I've been reading these blogs since I've joined a couple of days ago and there are many who are not happy with their outcome problems with nausea vomiting cramps and some even think of reversing the surgery not happy with the results, I hope they overcome all that and are content with the overall outcome of it.. on the other hand it's so good to see positive feedbacks as well to give us courage and motivation! as the more I read negative feedbacks the more I'm stressing of what is waiting for me ahead, it's daunting for some of us who are scared of what waits around the corner, will I regret it, will I be happy that I did it this, it's a mystery lol THAT I will have to wait and see till after the 27th of April lol it's nice to see that you're doing well and confident and happy with yourself I'm hoping to feel the same eventually[emoji120][emoji4] [emoji4]Good on you wish you all the best[emoji106][emoji3590][emoji120][emoji3590][emoji4][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N981B using BariatricPal mobile app

Big regrets. Regrets I didn't do it 15 years ago. Seriously - I do think about this and it's quite bitter sometimes, I could've had a completely different life.
These are the exact words that I'm hoping to be saying post-op[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

11weeks post-op, and although I have nausea on and off all day, and am on 2 different nausea meds, I would not do any different. I am not losing as quickly as some, but (one) I have always had a hard time losing, and (two) if I feel like eating, it's better than the nausea. (Eating usually does not cause the nausea-when I do misbehave, I own up to it, lol) I've lost 30 pounds in those 11 weeks, and that's fine with me.. 25 years ago, it took me two YEARS to lose fifty. (Then a family member got sick, and the diet went out the window.) My doc says the nausea has to do with hormonal changes and most people are over it by now, but as long as he tells me it is not a lifetime thing, I can deal with it. Do it again? You betcha!
Good on you! and well done! for not thinking negatively and giving up because of the nausea and the bad sides of it it's good to focus on the positives and keep going having a high self-esteem it's something that I haven't had for a long time and I'm really hoping that this surgery will change all that regardless of the negative sides[emoji4][emoji106]

On 4/1/2022 at 3:48 PM, oldandtired said:

11weeks post-op, and although I have nausea on and off all day, and am on 2 different nausea meds, I would not do any different. I am not losing as quickly as some, but (one) I have always had a hard time losing, and (two) if I feel like eating, it's better than the nausea. (Eating usually does not cause the nausea-when I do misbehave, I own up to it, lol) I've lost 30 pounds in those 11 weeks, and that's fine with me.. 25 years ago, it took me two YEARS to lose fifty. (Then a family member got sick, and the diet went out the window.) My doc says the nausea has to do with hormonal changes and most people are over it by now, but as long as he tells me it is not a lifetime thing, I can deal with it. Do it again? You betcha!

I'm currently 3 weeks out and have a huge issue with nausea. I'm keeping things down but I'm so weak, shaky and nauseous all the time. I'm hoping maybe going on another anti nausea medication.

19 minutes ago, Szietsma said:

I'm currently 3 weeks out and have a huge issue with nausea. I'm keeping things down but I'm so weak, shaky and nauseous all the time. I'm hoping maybe going on another anti nausea medication.

Get both... and be vocal to your doctor about it.