Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lactose Intolerant

So I am a dairy lover and thought it would be a good idea to try and get some Protein in by drinking some milk… boy did I regret that later that night! I had major bloating and gas pain that I had to take Tylenol for just to get comfortable. Is this a common thing after gastric sleeve and will it go away? I can’t live without my cheese and dairy products, my WI family would disown me! Lol, not really but you know how us Cheeseheads are about our dairy.

Lol yes you would be outcasted j/k No but I know that was a terrible feeling for you. I made tuna salad during my purée phase and my stomach was like no ma’am after just one bite lol

But maybe you can try Lactaid. I drink that and I love it. Also after reading the wonderful experiences on here people develop the lactose intolerance temporarily and are able to reintroduce it later. Not sure where you fit in that but time will tell. I feel you on giving up on cheese it’s hard but it’s not the end of the world there are some great tasting alternatives out there you can try. Good luck 🍀

13 minutes ago, TheWeightisOvr said:

Lol yes you would be outcasted j/k No but I know that was a terrible feeling for you. I made tuna salad during my purée phase and my stomach was like no ma’am after just one bite lol

But maybe you can try Lactaid. I drink that and I love it. Also after reading the wonderful experiences on here people develop the lactose intolerance temporarily and are able to reintroduce it later. Not sure where you fit in that but time will tell. I feel you on giving up on cheese it’s hard but it’s not the end of the world there are some great tasting alternatives out there you can try. Good luck 🍀

I’m 4 weeks post op, I’m hoping it’s just my tummy being stubborn and it will mellow out once my nerves calm down. I was also thinking that maybe my gut bacteria is out of wack too but not sure if I would be able to drink Yakult or some other Probiotics (I can’t do Kefir) I did pick up some Fairlife milk. My main concern is I’m not getting the required Protein in per day but my Water intake has gotten to be more each time.

I’m totally lactose intolerant from forever. There are some cheeses that are lactose free naturally like Cabot Hill Farms from Vt. I know states fight over their cheeses, but most drier, aged cheeses have much less lactose like cheddars and parmigiana. Watch out for deli meats, medicines, and some sausages and canned meats because they often use lactose as a binder. Ricotta is a great choice to avoid tummy trouble. The upside is that you are NEVER constipated!

I drink GNC premade Lean shakes, 25 g Protein, gluten and lactose free. I am lactose intolerant now post WLS but I'm not sure if the surgery did it or old age caused it.

yes - very common to develop lactose intolerance after surgery. Sometimes it's temporary - sometimes it's not. Hopefully yours will be temporary!

I had my sleeve done last October. I'll be 6 months this April 27. I guess I'm lucky because I can drink milk and eat cheese. The only way I can drink the Protein Shakes are by mixing the powder with milk. I've lost over 100 pounds now since last March when I started my program. You might be able to tolerate dairy after you heal more.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using BariatricPal mobile app