Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I craving this particular food? (Food mention trigger warning)

For some reason I've been craving thick cut salted potato chips. I HATED these before surgery and they would NEVER be a choice I'd want. Why then am I craving them now, a year after surgery? Before surgery I would have been craving donuts, bread, chocolate, sugar, but now all I can think about is those damn potato chips, and have even given in to the urge, just to shut it up, but it didn't stop yet. I haven't had this big of a craving since I was pregnant and just HAD to have Indian food. Does my body need the salt or something? Why am I craving a food I previously hated?

I crave salt and lemons on occasion, and have acted on it (thought Iron and dehydration, but no).

I can recommend Quest Protein chips. It really hits the spot, and it's made out of good whey protein, not the garbage soy or pea protein that comes with extra carbs and tastes like cardboard.

1 minute ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

I can recommend Quest Protein chips.

Thank you for that suggestion. I do occasionally indulge--I like the taco flavored ones. However, I am recently trying to avoid those too because they are a trigger food for me to want to binge other slider foods.

This is just clear proof that whoever says bariatric surgery is the "easy way out" sure is a big fat liar! LMAO

50 minutes ago, PuraVida37 said:

Thank you for that suggestion. I do occasionally indulge--I like the taco flavored ones. However, I am recently trying to avoid those too because they are a trigger food for me to want to binge other slider foods.

This is just clear proof that whoever says bariatric surgery is the "easy way out" sure is a big fat liar! LMAO

I didn't think of this before, but in the spirit of honesty: definitely consider if your body has decided you're done losing weight (or at least at this pace).

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but remember - being hungry is the first step in overeating. You're almost a year out, you've lost a tremendous amount of weight, of course your body is going to start getting hungry. Maybe it's not so much random cravings as simply ... hunger?

I would assume it was my body needing salt. Have you tried to sayisfy the craving with a healthier alternative like a handful of salted nuts maybe?

1 hour ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

I crave salt and lemons on occasion

Ah, the Margherita diet. I'm familiar.

46 minutes ago, Pollito said:

Ah, the Margherita diet. I'm familiar.

bahahahahaahaahahaha!!!

Having just visited the US, I may or may not have had 10 large CfA diet lemonades with the grilled nuggets. Man, that's a satisfying lunch.

Edit: not 10 in one sitting. Promise.

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

bahahahahaahaahahaha!!!

Having just visited the US, I may or may not have had 10 large CfA diet lemonades with the grilled nuggets. Man, that's a satisfying lunch.

I always get the CFA kids meal with grilled nuggets, fresh fruit and diet lemonade. Their diet lemonade rocks.

31 minutes ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

bahahahahaahaahahaha!!!

Oh yeah... what part of the US did you visit?

16 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

Oh yeah... what part of the US did you visit?

Not Florida, unfortunately :D

Just now, WhispersOfAngel said:

Ha! Well that's a good thing. You'd melt here. 😎

I'm Nordic, I melt everywhere!

With me, it's something tangy. pizza, spaghetti, burritos... I didn't say I ate all that! BUT I learned early that refried Beans have good Protein, and they don't hurt me. So for supper I get a ground beef burrito and refried beans. I eat about half, and take the other half to lunch.

Didn't know what CFA was but...I can do this

Classic lemonade using three simple ingredients: real lemon juice—not from concentrate, Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener, and Water.

I'll order some splenda.

9 minutes ago, Pollito said:

Didn't know what CFA was but...I can do this

Classic lemonade using three simple ingredients: real lemon juice—not from concentrate, Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener, and Water.

I'll order some splenda.

CFA is Chick Fil A, it's a place that has chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets and salads and lemonade exactly how you described. I guess I'd say it's one of the better fast food places in America. I mean the chicken is fresh not frozen and hand breaded, and their grilled chicken is really good.