Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Bypass? Apprehensive...

Hi guys. I'm in the process of getting my checklist complete before receiving my surgery date. I am unsure of which procedure I want to get. I am 34 years old, 5'4 @ 225lbs. My BMI is 38.6 and I carry alot of my weight in my abdomen. I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and PCOS. I aspire to get pregnant again, but am currently suffering from infertility due to the PCOS. I had my consultation last week and am trying to make my mind up about which surgery is best for me. My doctor is basically letting me chose. Bypass helps eliminate the diabetes, but I'm not fond of the idea of having to take Vitamins forever. I am a sweets eater. I love my sweets (cookies/candy)...

I'm also feeling a little apprehensive. Hear me out. I want weight loss to happen. I need to lose weight! I’m tired of being the size that I am and how my clothes look on me. I yearn to look cute in the summer and wear the cute crop tops and not have a belly that looks pregnant. I want to look nice in a swimsuit. I want to feel cute in lingerie again. I’m so self conscious of how I look at the weight I am now. But what’s making me so apprehensive is the recovery stage. My buddy from nursing school just had a sleeve done 2 weeks ago and is telling me how rough the recovery period is going for her. I've also read how other peoples recovery processes have gone. It's tough but I know it's doable. I think I may be a little addicted to food. I ate sooooo good yesterday and ENJOYED it so much! I'll be eating good again today with the super bowl menu my husband has prepared. I'm so scared to have to give it up and I’m thinking/doubting if I can stay away once I get surgery. I need to hear a voice of reasoning to slap me out of this feeling I'm feeling. I'd appreciate it.

Edited by MissNicole

Recovery for sleeve is different for everyone. If you go on youtube and watch the hundred or so videos of peoples journey with it, Some have no issues whatsoever, and others are rough. i wonder how mine will be lol. Even with Sleeve we still have to take a Vitamins typically forever. But not as much as bypass people from what i read in my binder that the surgeons office gave me. My binder says i will have to take a Multivitamin and B12. You say you are a sweets eater. Might need to look into dumping syndrome. Good luck with your choice. I am going with Sleeve. Doing pre op testing crap now lol.

as far as choosing a surgery, if you have GERD, you should strongly consider doing the RNY. If you don't, it really comes down to personal preference. They're both good surgeries, and you'll find people on here who've had success with both.

you will have to take Vitamins forever with either surgery, so I wouldn't use that as a factor for choosing. There are more consequences if you slack off on vitamins if you have bypass, but still, you have to take them either way. My clinic had both sets of patients on the same Vitamin regimen - but some clinics have their sleeve patients on fewer vitamins.

yes the first few weeks of recovery can be rough, but once you get through that, it's not that hard. Also, once you get out a ways, there are no restricted foods. You'll just be eating less of them than you do now.

good luck with your decision. I don't think there's a wrong choice here. I'm very happy I had surgery and just wish I would have done it earlier.

I didn’t really have a glaring medical reason to choose sleeve or bypass either. My doctor kept asking me if I was a big sweets eater though and I was not. He would have recommended the bypass if I was. I guess because the dumping prevents many of those with bypass from eating loads of sugar. Hopefully bypass people with chime in here but the way I understand it is they can eventually enjoy some sugar treats. Just not a large portion of them which would be great in terms of helping one to moderate how much sweets they eat. Ooh and recovery from sleeve was extremely uneventful for me. I even asked in the hospital to be taken off the pain rx and they gave me Tylenol which I didn’t even need the next day when I was discharged. It’s all over the map for people.

Edited by ShoppGirl

We all recover at our own rate & have our own experiences regardless of the surgery we have. Some seem to breeze through it while others struggle. But it is temporary. While I struggled with fatigue & low energy post sleeve, I had no gas pain & manageable surgical pain (nothing by day 4). With my gall removal I experienced more gas & surgical pain & general discomfort for much longer but my energy levels were fine.

While a permanent regime of taking Vitamins is required with bypass it is only a long term requirement with sleeve if they are needed. Malabsorption is not as much of an issue with a sleeve. I had a sleeve & I haven’t taken a Vitamin since 8 months post surgery. I was in maintenance & my blood work showed I wasn’t lacking in anything & still aren't. ( I do struggle with Protein absorption but that occurred after my gall was removed last June. Before then it was good.)

Dumping can be an issue with bypass but is pretty uncommon with sleeve but it can be controlled via good choices (avoid high sugar or highly processed simple carbs). If you have reflux or GERD, a sleeve should be avoided.

Did your surgeon recommend one surgery over the other. I mean they’re supposed to be the experts & should be able to advise which would best give you the results you’re seeking based on your medical history, test results, weight loss history, etc. Unless, of course, they said either would benefit you.

If you’re worried about a possible food addiction, ask fir a referral to a good therapist to support you work through this addiction & any other cravings, habits or issues that may drive you to eat. Lots of people swear by the help their therapist has given to manage the issues which could sabotage their weight loss.

Edited by Arabesque

9 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I didn’t really have a glaring medical reason to choose sleeve or bypass either. My doctor kept asking me if I was a big sweets eater though and I was not. He would have recommended the bypass if I was. I guess because the dumping prevents many of those with bypass from eating loads of sugar. Hopefully bypass people with chime in here but the way I understand it is they can eventually enjoy some sugar treats. Just not a large portion of them which would be great in terms of helping one to moderate how much sweets they eat. Ooh and recovery from sleeve was extremely uneventful for me. I even asked in the hospital to be taken off the pain rx and they gave me Tylenol which I didn’t even need the next day when I was discharged. It’s all over the map for people.

actually, only about 30% of bypassers dump. I, unfortunately, do not ("unfortunately" because it'd keep me from eating a bunch of sugar!). But you're right, most people who dump can have SOME sugar - just not a lot (or at least not a lot at one sitting) or they'll set off the dumping "feature".

Edited by catwoman7

I am a sweets lover too and I can still have them post-sleeve, but not the whole bag or box or carton, just a reasonable serving size as per the container. Either surgery has its own set of pros and cons. I had the sleeve. I don't have a Vitamin absorption problem and don't have to take Vitamins or supplements. I wish you luck and success in your WLS journey.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, MissNicole said:

Hi guys. I'm in the process of getting my checklist complete before receiving my surgery date. I am unsure of which procedure I want to get. I am 34 years old, 5'4 @ 225lbs. My BMI is 38.6 and I carry alot of my weight in my abdomen. I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and PCOS. I aspire to get pregnant again, but am currently suffering from infertility due to the PCOS. I had my consultation last week and am trying to make my mind up about which surgery is best for me. My doctor is basically letting me chose. Bypass helps eliminate the diabetes, but I'm not fond of the idea of having to take Vitamins forever. I am a sweets eater. I love my sweets (cookies/candy)...

I'm also feeling a little apprehensive. Hear me out. I want weight loss to happen. I need to lose weight! I’m tired of being the size that I am and how my clothes look on me. I yearn to look cute in the summer and wear the cute crop tops and not have a belly that looks pregnant. I want to look nice in a swimsuit. I want to feel cute in lingerie again. I’m so self conscious of how I look at the weight I am now. But what’s making me so apprehensive is the recovery stage. My buddy from nursing school just had a sleeve done 2 weeks ago and is telling me how rough the recovery period is going for her. I've also read how other peoples recovery processes have gone. It's tough but I know it's doable. I think I may be a little addicted to food. I ate sooooo good yesterday and ENJOYED it so much! I'll be eating good again today with the super bowl menu my husband has prepared. I'm so scared to have to give it up and I’m thinking/doubting if I can stay away once I get surgery. I need to hear a voice of reasoning to slap me out of this feeling I'm feeling. I'd appreciate it.

I was in a similar boat where my surgeon told me that either RNY or VSG would be fine and left it up to me. I considered the pros/cons and worried about the effects of RNY.

I ultimately went with RNY because I wanted the surgery that gave me the best chance to lose the most weight. If you know you will be self-accountable for your Vitamins, you have already drastically reduced the chances of long-term bad effects. Obviously, there are no guarantees that everything will turn out OK (and that weighed on my mind when I was on the gurney, waiting for my surgery to start). But long-term complications are relatively rare in people who are committed to taking their Vitamins, hitting their Protein goals, etc. And taking the Vitamins isn't difficult -- get a good bariatric multivitamin and find a workable routine for taking it (I keep mine at my desk at work and take it when I get to work).

I am very happy with my surgery. I am 41 and am in the best health/shape/weight I have been since college (it has been at least 20 years since my weight was so low).

I was also a sweet tooth and addicted to food. But I have to say that not being addicted and not being constantly tempted by sweets is such a liberating feeling. The surgery definitely changes the hormones in your stomach in ways that change how you feel about food. I am 6.5 months out and here is my response to most foods: meh. It's there. It has nutrients. It will taste fine. As someone said in another thread, I no longer feel like my body is fighting against my efforts to lose weight.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:34 PM, KeyzWLSjourney said:

I had the same question and my doctor advised bypass due to my sweet tooth. Surgery scheduled on the 24th of this month. Praying for a positive outcome for everyone on this journey.

Thank you so much!

On 3/3/2022 at 1:16 PM, Splenda said:

I was in a similar boat where my surgeon told me that either RNY or VSG would be fine and left it up to me. I considered the pros/cons and worried about the effects of RNY.

I ultimately went with RNY because I wanted the surgery that gave me the best chance to lose the most weight. If you know you will be self-accountable for your Vitamins, you have already drastically reduced the chances of long-term bad effects. Obviously, there are no guarantees that everything will turn out OK (and that weighed on my mind when I was on the gurney, waiting for my surgery to start). But long-term complications are relatively rare in people who are committed to taking their Vitamins, hitting their Protein goals, etc. And taking the Vitamins isn't difficult -- get a good bariatric Multivitamin and find a workable routine for taking it (I keep mine at my desk at work and take it when I get to work).

I am very happy with my surgery. I am 41 and am in the best health/shape/weight I have been since college (it has been at least 20 years since my weight was so low).

I was also a sweet tooth and addicted to food. But I have to say that not being addicted and not being constantly tempted by sweets is such a liberating feeling. The surgery definitely changes the hormones in your stomach in ways that change how you feel about food. I am 6.5 months out and here is my response to most foods: meh. It's there. It has nutrients. It will taste fine. As someone said in another thread, I no longer feel like my body is fighting against my efforts to lose weight.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate you responding. I've ultimately decided to go with the sleeve. My surgery is scheduled for 4/18! Excited!

Hi, Friends! I have my first meeting on Monday! I am a nurse and have had a nursing friend do the sleeve and another do bypass. I've picked both their brains and read so much. On the forum to learn even more. Appreciate everyone's openness to share personal information.

I'm conflicted on bypass vs sleeve. I lean to sleeve BUT permanently removing 80% of my stomach kinda freaks me out. Anyone else feel that way? Also r/t acid reflux, I have experienced it but it's usually if I eat late, like after 10 pm. If I don't, then I don't. Would bypass still be preferred for me, if I make sure not to eat late? With the bypass, the thought of rerouting and a stomach the size of a walnut of plum kinda freaks me out! Anyone else feel that way? lol

I have an impossible time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and being slim again and not having knee and foot pain! But oh, sounds so good. It is a journey for sure, and it began months ago but technically, it begins this Monday with my first visit. Oh, boy...

I was the same way. I know people that have had both procedures done. I asked my dr after reading online that if you had any acid issues its recommended to get the bypass done. You will be less likely to have any acid issues. With the sleeve you will have more issues. Im nervous about getting the bypass but I know it'll be worth it. If only I could slow down eating... but practice makes perfect and I have time to practice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app