Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

On 3/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, MimmyMim said:

I am having a weird psychological thing right now. Although we had a freakishly cold day in GA yesterday, it is time to start putting away winter clothes and pull out spring/summer clothes. I know I should probably go ahead and donate the winter things. Many are too big now just 5 weeks post op. But I keep thinking, “What if I don’t lose weight?” I really like clothes so I will be storing a lot if I hang on to them. Any advice?

I’m 7 almost 8 weeks post op down 55lbs and into 38 size pants and 2xl shirts are just a hair to big. I have the same dilemma but I will start donating once I start buying new clothes to replace the old. Problem is I’m not done losing yet so I don’t want to have to buy new then buy new again!! So the baggy fit it is for another couple of months!!!!!

Any February 14th surgery twins? How are you doing now we're over a month post op? I get back to normal foods on March 28..also happens to be my birthday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

12 minutes ago, Doddlemom said:

That’s only two days apart! How has post surgery been for you?

It’s been good! Eating regular food not so much. But surgeon says just keep introducing. I’m down 30 pounds. How are you recovering? Continued Prayers for Healing.

On 03/23/2022 at 20:30, Rebecca Stinnett said:

It’s been good! Eating regular food not so much. But surgeon says just keep introducing. I’m down 30 pounds. How are you recovering? Continued Prayers for Healing.

It was really hard the first two weeks but then things got so much better! Eating some new things but mostly still wanting everything soft. I’m down 30 too. Not getting enough Protein or Water but still recovering well. Thank you for the prayers and prayers to you and everyone!

On 03/24/2022 at 06:19, Plumms said:

Same here. Down 30 lbs. still not getting food enough food or Water. Trying every day.

Congratulations on losing 30 lbs! I feel if we are trying to get our Water and Protein in we are still doing well, it’s hard when you feel like your constantly eating or drinking to keep doing it. At least for me. Prayers for you on your journey!

My surgery was on 2/25 and I like some of you have been having trouble getting fluids and Proteins in as well. It has truly been a struggle for me!

I was having severe pain and cramps for 2 weeks with even drinking Water. I've gotten through that stage and can now eat and drink without much pain yet I still have trouble with what to eat and just how to get my Protein in. During those two weeks of struggle, I was dehydrated so at least now I am able to drink fluids. I had to go to ER to get rehydrated with fluids and electrolytes.

I try to drink protein waters to get both in at the same time but I must say I still feel at times I am having a hard time. I don't feel that I get much support from my WLS Team other than them telling me to just keep trying (as if I am not). By the way, I have only lost 5 lbs since my surgery. They tell me that I haven't lost weight due to not getting my proteins in and that I need to start exercising. I am still very weak and unable to stand for long periods of time (more than 20 minutes or so) without having cramps or pain in my stomach and once my work day is over I usually lay around or sleep the rest of the day. Thank God that I work from home. I am staying hopeful that this is yet one more phase that I have to go through and soon I will be on the other side of this as well.

Is anyone else experiencing these types of symptoms 4 weeks out from surgery?

1 hour ago, Starting My New Life said:

My surgery was on 2/25 and I like some of you have been having trouble getting fluids and Proteins in as well. It has truly been a struggle for me!

I was having severe pain and cramps for 2 weeks with even drinking Water. I've gotten through that stage and can now eat and drink without much pain yet I still have trouble with what to eat and just how to get my Protein in. During those two weeks of struggle, I was dehydrated so at least now I am able to drink fluids. I had to go to ER to get rehydrated with fluids and electrolytes.

I try to drink Protein waters to get both in at the same time but I must say I still feel at times I am having a hard time. I don't feel that I get much support from my WLS Team other than them telling me to just keep trying (as if I am not). By the way, I have only lost 5 lbs since my surgery. They tell me that I haven't lost weight due to not getting my Proteins in and that I need to start exercising. I am still very weak and unable to stand for long periods of time (more than 20 minutes or so) without having cramps or pain in my stomach and once my work day is over I usually lay around or sleep the rest of the day. Thank God that I work from home. I am staying hopeful that this is yet one more phase that I have to go through and soon I will be on the other side of this as well.

Hello! I had surgery on 2/22 and had major complications afterwards. I was in the hospital for 13 days out of the last month. I, too, had a hard time getting protein and fluids down and my weight loss has also stalled at 16 lbs. My doctor ordered thrice-weekly Fluid and Vitamin infusions for me. Perhaps you can ask your doctor about that.

4 hours ago, Starting My New Life said:

I try to drink Protein waters to get both in at the same time but I must say I still feel at times I am having a hard time. I don't feel that I get much support from my WLS Team other than them telling me to just keep trying (as if I am not). By the way, I have only lost 5 lbs since my surgery. They tell me that I haven't lost weight due to not getting my Proteins in and that I need to start exercising. I am still very weak and unable to stand for long periods of time (more than 20 minutes or so) without having cramps or pain in my stomach and once my work day is over I usually lay around or sleep the rest of the day. Thank God that I work from home. I am staying hopeful that this is yet one more phase that I have to go through and soon I will be on the other side of this as well.

My surgery was on 16/2. It’s been 5 weeks post surgery. My Fluid intake has gone up so much and I’m starting to lose weight again now. On the advice of my surgeon and dietician and trial and error, I’ve done these things:

1. Track my Water usage using the Waterllama app. it’s cute and easy to use

2. track my food intake using the “see what you eat” app, making note of only the proteins I consume (I don’t count macros otherwise. Just make sure everything is “light” or “Low fat” and mostly “sugar free”)

3. set reminders on my phone to take medications, eat and drink (I don’t feel thirsty or hungry so this has been dangerous for me)

4. use water enhancers and uncaffeinated herbal teas to vary the taste of my fluids

I haven’t been hospitalised other than that 1 night post surgery however I’ve been making weekly trips to meet the care team. I’ve lost 25lbs, which isn’t much. I was barely losing any in the previous 2 weeks but according to the body analysis, I was losing muscle and water. I was lethargic all the time but could still move. Once I got the proteins and fluid settled, I’ve been feeling so much better.

For movement, I searched for anything “post bariatric surgery” and was doing basic stretches and walking for 15min then moved to 30 min. Now I look for “Low impact/intensity beginners cardio” lasting for about 30min to 45min. Don’t push yourself to the point of pain. Once I feel twinges, I stop. The physiotherapist in the care team suggests that movement be done for 10-15 min, twice a day at a start. For the first 3 weeks, my heart rate doesn’t go beyond 65% of my max heart rate. Now I’m pushing it to about 80%. After week 6 I will incorporate weights again. I enjoy resistance training and can’t weight to get back to it so just do what feels right to you. Find the type of movement that you enjoy.

Whilst my body has been changing even without exercise, I am constantly reminding myself this is the same body. WLS is not magic. I have to take care of my body before I can get it to work right. This means eating drinking moving and resting sufficiently.

I’ve been on 5 weeks of leave and this has helped me with my new-habit forming as well as allow me to heal gently. I will finally get back to work next Monday. I don’t know how I will be energy and pain wise but we’ll see.

Hey everyone I had surgery 2/8 so I’m at 6 weeks post op I’m still only able to eat two small meals and I drink a Protein Shake to make up for the last meal and still no Snacks. I am drinking atleast 5-7 Water bottles a day so I’m also hitting my water take. It takes time soon enough you all will start to feel more and more normal atleast for your new stomach.

I had mine on Feb 14th so I'm 5 weeks and 3 days out. I felt pretty good about fluids and Protein until like 2 weeks ago drinking Water and feeling pain/restriction, especially when it's room temp. Using a straw and having ice water seems to help me get it down better. I actually gulp in a lot of air when I don't use a straw. Most teams tell you not to, even mine but I feel gas pain in my chest without the straw. I'm doing really well with protein though and get 70-80 grams a day through about 700-800 calories. Rarely do I get to 800 cals though. I noticed on days when I have eaten up to 800 cals I feel nauseated at night so I try to not go over 750. It's a small difference but weird enough I can really feel it. I eat 3 small meals a day, one snack and a Protein Shake. My dietician has me eat 2 oz of protein every 2 hours during the daytime. I'm taking Vitamins well, no hair loss...yet? I do need to take nausea medicine in the morning because maybe 4 times a week I wake up with the instinct to dry heave. I don't know why but I've always felt nauseous in the mornings, even pre op. I find that I can either focus on food or water but not both. When I drink 64 oz of fluids, I eat less and miss my protein goal. When I reach my protein goal, I drink less fluids. I find that balance to be really difficult to deal with and get right. I wonder when that'll be easier? It's also tough with the 2-hour eating rule and then the 10 min before 30 after drinking rule. I'd basically always have to have food or Fluid in my mouth all day which isn't realistic for me. I've lost 29 lbs in 5 weeks. I don't really feel it yet/still feel like a big out-of-shape lump LOL. I think I'll feel the weight loss when I hit the 240's. I have my one-month post-op tomorrow with my nurse practitioner. Looking forward to it.

P.S. Is anyone still dealing with Constipation and ROCK HARD stool? I am on prune juice, Metamucil, colace and occasional senna tea. I go almost every day but it's incredibly forced, usually bleeding occurs or I need to slap on a pair of gloves and take it out (I know TMI I'm sorry :() . I'm going to talk to my team about it tomorrow but I'm so done with it. It also causes me a great deal of nausea. Wondering if anyone else is dealing with this and what you're doing to make it better?

10 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I had mine on Feb 14th so I'm 5 weeks and 3 days out. I felt pretty good about fluids and Protein until like 2 weeks ago drinking Water and feeling pain/restriction, especially when it's room temp. Using a straw and having ice Water seems to help me get it down better. I actually gulp in a lot of air when I don't use a straw. Most teams tell you not to, even mine but I feel gas pain in my chest without the straw. I'm doing really well with Protein though and get 70-80 grams a day through about 700-800 calories. Rarely do I get to 800 cals though. I noticed on days when I have eaten up to 800 cals I feel nauseated at night so I try to not go over 750. It's a small difference but weird enough I can really feel it. I eat 3 small meals a day, one snack and a Protein Shake. My dietician has me eat 2 oz of protein every 2 hours during the daytime. I'm taking Vitamins well, no hair loss...yet? I do need to take nausea medicine in the morning because maybe 4 times a week I wake up with the instinct to dry heave. I don't know why but I've always felt nauseous in the mornings, even pre op. I find that I can either focus on food or water but not both. When I drink 64 oz of fluids, I eat less and miss my protein goal. When I reach my protein goal, I drink less fluids. I find that balance to be really difficult to deal with and get right. I wonder when that'll be easier? It's also tough with the 2-hour eating rule and then the 10 min before 30 after drinking rule. I'd basically always have to have food or Fluid in my mouth all day which isn't realistic for me. I've lost 29 lbs in 5 weeks. I don't really feel it yet/still feel like a big out-of-shape lump LOL. I think I'll feel the weight loss when I hit the 240's. I have my one-month post-op tomorrow with my nurse practitioner. Looking forward to it.

P.S. Is anyone still dealing with constipation and ROCK HARD stool? I am on prune juice, Metamucil, colace and occasional senna tea. I go almost every day but it's incredibly forced, usually bleeding occurs or I need to slap on a pair of gloves and take it out (I know TMI I'm sorry :() . I'm going to talk to my team about it tomorrow but I'm so done with it. It also causes me a great deal of nausea. Wondering if anyone else is dealing with this and what you're doing to make it better?

I have NO IDEA how you're supposed to meet your water goal when you can't drink for 40+ minutes (because you need to count eating time too!) out of every 2 hours. That's bonkers. I had surgery 2/16 so I'm a similar ways out as you, and my plan has me eat 1/4 cup of protein for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then supplement with a protein shake/powders to hit my protein goal. It helps a LOT to hit protein and hydration goals when you can drink part of your protein! You said "I eat 3 small meals a day, one snack and a Protein Shake" so that shouldn't be every 2 hours, right? Like I do 8 am breakfast, 12 pm lunch, 6 pm dinner, and a Protein Shake somewhere in there and sometimes another half a scoop of Protein Powder in there if my meals weren't high enough protein. Even with a snack, you should have a solid 4 hours or so between most of your meals, right? If they really want you eating every 2 hours, see if you can replace some of those with Protein Shakes? That's yikes!

For the Constipation, I'm sorry you're dealing with that! It's likely because you're not getting enough water - those stool softeners you listed work by pulling water into the stool to soften it, but if you're not getting adequate hydration all they're doing is bulking it up and not actually softening it.