Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2022 Surgery Buddies

3 minutes ago, Teeva said:

There are a lot of sources that talk about a "3 week stall" that describes a temporary (maybe 1-4 weeks) halt in weight loss right around this time

I think someone did the maths - there's 3,200 posts about it or so :D It's entirely normal. Mine was in week 3, from around day 15-18 after surgery.

3 hours ago, Teeva said:

There are a lot of sources that talk about a "3 week stall" that describes a temporary (maybe 1-4 weeks) halt in weight loss right around this time-- don't worry, it's normal! I've read that it's the body reacting and adjusting to the change (and making sure it's not starving). Some people say they have a big drop right after the stall ends and that they have other signs of 'progress' during this time. It might be a good decision to weigh yourself less frequently, like once a week or so, so that you don't agonize too much over the micro-ups/downs. I personally hit this stall for about a week, quickly lost another 7 lbs and then hovered there for another couple of weeks. Keep doing what you are doing, you are totally on the right track!

Thank you Teeva,🌷

I can feel like I have lost weight and everybody tells me I look like I have lost, but I am so used to get the scale validation, it may not be healthy, like you, my sisters recommended me to weight myself less often, to avoid wrong decisions while chasing a smaller number. I had some other issues yesterday I went to ER ( long story) they found my Potassium was low between other things, today I will follow up with my surgeon and my nutritionist to see what is going on.

4 hours ago, MiniGastricBypassDude said:

I think someone did the maths - there's 3,200 posts about it or so :D It's entirely normal. Mine was in week 3, from around day 15-18 after surgery.

Aha!! well, yes I read so many of those this week, thanks, I found this website after my surgery so I have a lot to catch up. The newest thing I discovered is "foamies" 🤧

Anybody else anemic? I found out from blood work and waiting for doctor to tell me what to do next. I'm 22 days post op. Iron supplements? Blood transfusion?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 3/3/2022 at 7:53 AM, Doddlemom said:

Has anyone had trouble with pooping? As in can’t seem to poop?

I do Miralax every morning and if I still haven't pooped after 2 days add a 30 ml dose of Milk if Magnesia the night of the second no-poop day. So far that's worked for me. Good luck!!

On 03/08/2022 at 09:45, ElleyOtter said:

I do Miralax every morning and if I still haven't pooped after 2 days add a 30 ml dose of Milk if Magnesia the night of the second no-poop day. So far that's worked for me. Good luck!!

Thank you so much! I will start that. The miralax alone every morning isn’t enough.

58 minutes ago, fourmonthspreop said:

Anybody else anemic? I found out from blood work and waiting for doctor to tell me what to do next. I'm 22 days post op. Iron supplements? Blood transfusion?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I got blood tests yesterday, they found some issues but not anemia, I hope you get your levels up quickly.

Had you started with Vitamins? I did a few days ago but I do not know how good they will work.

I’m scheduled for March 14th. Having the duodenal switch and praying for the best. You all are inspiring and I’m so excited. Any one else in Northwest Missouri?

I’m 15 days out on my surgery. I still feel very depressed and not like myself at all. I had a couple of good days but then went backwards, mentally. Physically I seem to be doing what I would say is normal for this stage. I just wasn’t prepared for all of it to bring me down so much.

Sorry to hear your not back to your usual self. Just make sure your taking your Vitamins & calcium chews. Get as much Water as possible. You maybe dehydrated.
I felt sluggish when I didn’t get enough water. I’m now 22 days post-op. The dietitian said hydration over everything else is important.

Hope this helps

I had my surgery 17 days ago. I dealt with a lot of pain initially, but I'm fine now. My autoimmune issues have been flaring, so that was likely the cause. I started solid food back today, though I had a few bites here and there that I shouldn't have. I've basically been non-stop starving, which I didn't expect at all.

Emotionally, it's hit me a few times, but I just tell myself good things and move on.

Now that I can eat food again, today has felt fairly normal. I don't feel like I'm starving. I can eat more than I thought I would be able to, but I'm doing good.

I was told not to start my calcium chews and B12 until 6 weeks, but my chews came in the mail today and smell delicious lol.

My surgery was 2/22/22 and I had some major complications. I had internal bleeding and lost almost half of my blood volume. Then I had severe pain when eating and had to be admitted for 6 days for a PICC and TPN. Was released last Saturday. Still have intermittent severe pain when eating but am working through it. Doc has set me up with thrice-weekly fluid/vitamin infusions since I am only getting about 20-30 oz of fluids per day. I also can't transition to soft foods yet since I have a blood clot in my new pouch (which is what's causing all the pain) so it's just shakes for a few more days. I haven't regretted my decision to have the surgery yet but just wish I could get back to somewhat normalcy.

1 hour ago, Plumms said:

Sorry to hear your not back to your usual self. Just make sure your taking your Vitamins & calcium chews. Get as much Water as possible. You maybe dehydrated.
I felt sluggish when I didn’t get enough Water. I’m now 22 days post-op. The dietitian said hydration over everything else is important.

Hope this helps