Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

learning to let go of old eating habits

Hello,

I’m new here, I’m having the procedure in April. I’m starting before the surgery to eat the way I will after the surgery. I was advised by my surgeon to eat mainly Protein, vegetables and some fruit if I wanted it. He was telling me to be successful I’ll need to give up most carbohydrates all together. I’m having trouble with this thought ill never have pizza or chocolate again.

I understand in order to be successful I need to adapt a complete new way of thinking. I need to let go of the unhealthy foods and just eat only healthy foods for the rest of my life. But even normal dieting people still eat some unhealthy foods as a ‘cheat day or treat.

Do you still enjoy the occasional slice of pizza?

I also understand that what I’m sacrificing is nothing compared to the better life I will have afterwards. I will have my health and quality of life back. That is priceless! So I’m prepared to eat only certain things for the rest of my life. I’m more then ready to have this surgery. I just need support with the fact as a foodie I’m leaving so much food behind for good!

thank you

Lisa

the first year I did not, but since I hit maintenance, yes. I can eat 1-2 slices of pizza now (different from pre-op when I could down 1/2 a large pizza in one sitting). I also eat chocolate occasionally. There's really nothing I can't eat now other than highly fatty meals. My husband and I used to go out for Friday night fish fries when I was pre-op, but I couldn't do that anymore. They consisted of two or three deep-fried filets, tartar sauce, French fries, cole slaw made with mayo, and a roll with butter. My stomach rebels at that much fat now (although I could probably have one fish filet if everything that came with it wasn't fat-laden).

other than that - yep - there's nothing I can't eat, although I eat it less frequently and in much smaller quantities than I did before. But then, that's true of a lot never-been-obese people, too.

3 hours ago, butterflywhisper said:

I’m having trouble with this thought ill never have pizza or chocolate again.

I understand in order to be successful I need to adapt a complete new way of thinking. I need to let go of the unhealthy foods and just eat only healthy foods for the rest of my life. 

Never say never.

I’m 3 years out, and i can (and do) eat anything. Well, except excess sugar in one sitting (i dump)…when i do eat sugar (i.e., dessert) its always just a little at a time.

I eat bread, Cookies, chocolate, fried foods, sauces, the occasional pizza slice (albeit only when Mr. makes it, as its delicious), rice (in my sushi), Pasta (again only when Mr. makes it), and drink alcohol. I go out to eat at restaurants regularly. I’d go even more if it wasn’t so Covid-y out there.

So long as my average calories stays at or below my maintenance calories (i track EVERYTHING), then its all good. If my weight goes north of my self-imposed high weight limit (i weigh myself everyday) for 3-4 consecutive days, i cut cals for a while, until I’m in my happy weight range again. I had to do this 3 times in year 2…haven’t had to do it again so far *crosses fingers*. All my labs come back uneventfully.

I have maintained below goal weight (127lbs) for 2.5 years…i was 116.6lbs this morning. So i figure I’m doing something right.

Some people can have a similar lifestyle, others not due to a host of things (food tolerances, medical issues, temperament, activity levels, etc…). Where you will end up on the spectrum of “foodie-ability” can and will be determined only by you.

Yes, you may be one of those that will not be able to “enjoy” food and keep weight off. BUT, you also may be one of the ones who do. Alot of it is up to you.

My take is that you have to decide which is more important to you: the *possible* loss of your current food enjoyment OR the possibility of weight loss. There is no wrong answer.

P.S. Of course, these aren’t the only two outcomes: there is also “possible weight loss with a NEW way of enjoying food”.

Edited by ms.sss

Hi!

Not sure if this will help you or not....my program doesn't cut out food groups, and encourages getting to 1200 calories as soon as you can. I have been at 1200 calories since week 5 or so...and I eat carbs. I made this one change years ago with pizza. Before surgery we would get pizza maybe twice a month, and it was always overdone. Large greasy pizzas, with fries and dips etc etc and of course I would get sick from the overindulgence every.single.time lol.

I take a whole wheat pita, add some Tomato sauce, pepperoni from the deli, and low fat cheese. Cook at 400 in the oven for about 15 min and it's amazing! Crispy but also gooey. Depending on what actual products you use....comes out to about 320 calories, 15g of fat, 36g of carbs, 19g of Protein. Before surgery, I used to eat 3...now it is just one for dinner. And of course, you can out whatever toppings you want. It's also great for kids too because they can make the kind of pizza they want....without the price tag and all the added full fat and oil and doughy crust.

I think there are many ways to get around certain kinds of food by making modifications to your favourites! The internet has non stop recipes that can help with alternatives regardless of the kind of program you are on.

9 minutes ago, canadianpopcycle said:

Hi!

Not sure if this will help you or not....my program doesn't cut out food groups, and encourages getting to 1200 calories as soon as you can. I have been at 1200 calories since week 5 or so.

Same here. 1200 for women, 1400 for men, regardless of surgery, immediately if possible. I drank chocolate milk 3 times a day the first week, lol. They were pretty adamant about it. 100g Protein - 1400 cals. Those are the only musts.

3 hours ago, butterflywhisper said:

I also understand that what I’m sacrificing is nothing compared to the better life I will have afterwards. I will have my health and quality of life back. That is priceless! So I’m prepared to eat only certain things for the rest of my life. I’m more then ready to have this surgery. I just need support with the fact as a foodie I’m leaving so much food behind for good!

thank you

Lisa

Hi Lisa!

When we become obese, we often suffer a lot from the mental and social pressure this disease causes. We blame ourselves, tell ourselves we're somehow morally deficient human beings, and we get into some very black/white mindsets.

There are no bad foods. Also no good foods. There's just ... food.

For a while while you're healing and while you're on your journey in the first year, yes, you will have to make some conscious choices about what you eat.

However, the most important lesson you can take away from this experience is learning to live somewhere between black and white. It's probably not good for you to have pizza every day. It's probably completely fine to have a slice or two Friday night.

It's what you do Saturday morning that matters. Do you think "oh well, since I had pizza last night, it's all ruined and I may as well just eat whatever now". Or do you think "hey, that was a nice treat, today I'll have something else".

Even better - make room for it in your calorie count and enjoy your slice. Live with going 200 cals over if you must.

:)

Walmart sells cauliflower pizza crusts in the frozen section that are quite tasty and Hershey zero sugar tastes exactly the same as real chocolate to me. For some people the sugar substitute acts like a laxative so try just a small portion at home the first time of the zero sugar candy. I also just found cauliflower Pasta at Walmart (frozen) and had that last night. It was almost like the real thing. Check out the thread favorite grocery products. You will be surprised the number of options there are out there.

Wow! Thank you for all the wonderful responses! I’m happy to learn I can still eat things but in moderation and once in awhile. I’m also grateful for the recipes and suggestions you guys gave me for pizza.

My surgeon has this black and white mindset but he also knows of my food addiction and he thinks if I eat more simply Protein and vegetables and make a habit out of that I’ll be successful.

I get where he’s coming from but I don’t want a life too restrictive.

3 minutes ago, butterflywhisper said:

but he also knows of my food addiction and he thinks if I eat more simply Protein and vegetables and make a habit out of that I’ll be successful.

As someone who spent 6 months in treatment for binge eating disorder - and truly put it behind me - black/white mindset is great for alcohol or drug addiction, and absolutely horrific for disordered eating patterns.

I'd strongly recommend therapy to anyone feeling they lose control of their eating, and for some reason, group therapy works really well for this kind of problem if available to you.

Before my surgery, I used to eat pizza, candy, chips, ice cream, and basically all of the junk foods. Eating indulgent food was basically my only pleasure in life. I ate a frozen pizza every Friday, and I looked forward to it all week long. But my tastes have changed after surgery. At first, I tried to make a bariatric-friendly version of pizza, with a Mr. Tortilla tortilla as the crust, sugar-free marinara, low-fat mozzarella, and turkey pepperoni. I also tried a chicken crust pizza. These are fine, and somewhat satisfy a pizza craving, but I don't even really want pizza anymore. There are so many things I'd rather eat that it's not even worth it to me to eat chicken crust pizza.

I don't really desire chocolate anymore, either. I used to eat a whole bag of fun-sized Snickers in 3 or 4 days, but now, when coworkers bring candy to work, I have little to no desire to eat any of it. Part of that is because I discovered Built Bars, which I think are even better than actual candy bars.

The things I look forward to eating now include fish fajitas (BTW, I hated fish before surgery and now I love it) and turkey wraps with low-carb tortillas, grilled chicken with sugar-free BBQ Sauce (I love G. Hughes BBQ sauces and I think they're just as good as the sugar-laden ones), mashed cauliflower, riced cauliflower (cauliflower is another thing I used to hate but now I eat it almost every day), salad, and other healthy foods. I have found things to satisfy my sweet tooth (e.g., Protein Mug Cake instead of cake/cupcakes; Protein Bars instead of candy bars), but for the most part, I don't even have much of a desire to eat junk food anymore.

Your doctor may suspect that you are a sugar addict. If so, that's why he's barring sugar and carbohydrates. Of course, there are carbs in starchy vegetables (like sweet potatoes) and fruit, but your body processes them differently than bread and sweets.

I've been on a high protein/low carb diet pre-surgery, and have eliminated sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, and processed foods. It's been very successful.

I've learned a lot reading about sugar/food addiction and have come to the conclusion that I have this addiction. Once I've broken through the withdrawal period I don't crave these things. I have gone off the rails a few times and paid the price. It takes me about two weeks to get through withdrawal all over again.

I've been working on this food plan, A Pound of Cure by Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon. I intend to follow it post-surgery, possibly for life.

1842045618_APoundOfCure.jpg.4003dbb786c4b71a116de9904ece3950.jpg

To find out more about sugar/food addiction, all of these books are helpful.
986147613_Suggaraddiction.jpg.3618d29bb28df030df01815f91c2680f.jpg

Edited by Sunnyway

How you decide to maintain your weight is ultimately your choice. What I do or what someone else does may not work for you. My advice is, whatever you choose to do, make sure it is sustainable. That is, it’s a way of eating that doesn’t mean you have to make sacrifices & are able to enjoy living your life. A way of eating that is overly restrictive is destined to fail.

There are always alternatives that are healthier & more nutritious. For example if you want to eat carbs, look for multi or whole grain versions & not highly processed white flours. Want pizza, try cauliflower or chicken bases or pita bread as has been suggested. There are lots of high Protein low carbs pastas available too. There are snack foods that are lower in calories & higher in protein then traditional Snacks. Try different cooking styles like an air fryer or oven baking versus deep frying.

Some people do eat pizza, burgers, fries, etc. but they do so in small portions, occasionally. You know you best & how well you can manage eating fast foods & foods considered unhealthy.

Use the time you’re losing & on a restrictive diet, to research different eating styles & reflect on your trigger foods. You may develop your own eating routine by picking & choosing from various ‘diets’. You may become vegetarian. You may switch in some vegan options or meals. You may choose to reduce certain food types from your diet like sugar or fats. You just need to develop a way of eating that works for you.

Good luck.

13 hours ago, butterflywhisper said:

Hello,

I’m new here, I’m having the procedure in April. I’m starting before the surgery to eat the way I will after the surgery. I was advised by my surgeon to eat mainly Protein, vegetables and some fruit if I wanted it. He was telling me to be successful I’ll need to give up most carbohydrates all together. I’m having trouble with this thought ill never have pizza or chocolate again.

I understand in order to be successful I need to adapt a complete new way of thinking. I need to let go of the unhealthy foods and just eat only healthy foods for the rest of my life. But even normal dieting people still eat some unhealthy foods as a ‘cheat day or treat.

Do you still enjoy the occasional slice of pizza?

thank you

Lisa

Yes, now that I'm in maintenance, I do allow myself a treat now and then (special occasions). And my day to day diet is not as strict as it was when I was in weight loss phase. You don't have to commit to NEVER having any of your favorite foods ever again. A total abstinence approach works for some people, but it's not realistic for me.

But you will need to be mindful of how and what you eat, if you want to maintain the loss. I weigh myself regularly and I adjust based on what I see on the scale. Like a lot of us, I have a redline weight limit that tells me it's time to buckle down and follow my plan more strictly until I lose the pounds I have picked up. Hopefully, I will never again eat recklessly and mindlessly on a day to day basis. But I still enjoy old favorites (just less often and in smaller portions). I hope that helps!

15 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Never say never.

I’m 3 years out, and i can (and do) eat anything. Well, except excess sugar in one sitting (i dump)…when i do eat sugar (i.e., dessert) its always just a little at a time.

I eat bread, Cookies, chocolate, fried foods, sauces, the occasional pizza slice (albeit only when Mr. makes it, as its delicious), rice (in my sushi), Pasta (again only when Mr. makes it), and drink alcohol. I go out to eat at restaurants regularly. I’d go even more if it wasn’t so Covid-y out there.

I think you mentioned having an issue with dumping. Do the above foods not cause dumping anymore? Or tolerable at small amounts?

4 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

I think you mentioned having an issue with dumping. Do the above foods not cause dumping anymore? Or tolerable at small amounts?

Yeah i still have dumping issues, but only with sugar (all the other stuff is, and always was, fair gane).

The dumping symptoms have eased up somewhat along the years…its not as severe and my tolerance for sugar amounts have increased a little.

While a few sips of a sugar laden cocktail was past my limit already then, now i could probably have that entire drink, but nursed over a period of time…and NOT on an empty stomach.

At 3 minths post a couple spoonfuls of this creamy fruit salad desert made me so sick i wanted to roll over and and die…now,I could probably eat 1/4 cup of it and still want to live lol…but again only if there is something in my stomach already. Now if that fruit salad didn’t have dairy in it, i could manage probably 1/2 cup (i learned mixing dairy and excess sugar hits me particularly hard..,I’m talking to you, ice cream)

if i do dump on something, it’s less severe. For instance, just the other day when i decided to skip dinner cuz I wasn’t feeling it, i absently ate a couple sour key candies the Kid was eating while watching tv later that night. The heart racing started in about 10 mins, then I started to feel hot and feel that “hung-over” feeling. I laid down and slept it off. I didn’t want to die, but i did feel pretty sh*tty. No barf nor diarrhea that time, but my poop was noticeably looser the next day.

So yeah, i still dump. Its both good and bad I guess. But whatevs, its just part of life now.

Edited by ms.sss