Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mixed Emotions

:help:I have been struggling with this decision for over 2 years. I have tried every diet known to man and just can't seem to succeed. I am currently at 265 lbs and fear I will just get bigger. I considered the Lap Band for over a year and a half before finally telling my mom that I wanted to look into it. Thought she was all for it, but after she went to the seminar with me, she became scared of it. She talked me into giving dieting another try. That was back in August. Since then I have gone from 269 lbs to 256 lbs and then back up to 265 lbs.

Now it is December and I am kicking myself for not doing what I felt was right for me. I could have been banded by now. When I see and read the success stories, I get very hopefull. Yet, when I read the possible complications, I get scared. I worry that I will spend all that money on another gimmick that I will just fail at. My cousin had the Duodenal Switch done. She says she has never had the problem of food getting stuck or PB. Of course that is surgically altering your insides permantly.

If anyone could please give me some personal input on their experience good or bad, I would really appreciate it.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Only you can decide. Read the threads here on this board for great info. I am so glad that I did it . I feel like I have my life back. But each person has to make their own decision. Donna

I looked into bypass about ten years ago. I couldn't meet the parameters to qualify and did not have the kind of money to pay for it myself. It also seemed so drastic. I didn't find out about the band until March and by May I was scheduled for surgery. THIS was the answer for me. Less invasive, no gut re-directing, reversible...however I do have one HUGE regret. I just wish I had been able to have this done 20 years ago. It was the best decision I ever made, and my last and final hope of getting healthy. You are only in your 30's. I spent 25 years hiding from the world due to my weight....I lost all those years. If you do it now you have a chance to get out there and LIVE those years. I feel like I have been reborn...and I am 56.

Hi Teri :wave:

I can totally relate to the 'mom' factor. My mother was also VERY resistant to the idea of ME getting surgery...now for my husband...she was all for it...but not her baby girl! I finally had to tell her that I needed her support in whatever I choose to do, but if she can't support me, at least don't try to sabbotage me or change my mind. As the day of surgery drew closer, she resolved herself to the fact that I AM an adult and that she can't control my decisions. NOW, six months later, she is "so proud of me" for making this decision and sticking to it and getting healthy!

Anyway, that's my story. Only you can decide what's right for you. I can only say, don't let your mother make the decision for you and don't allow her fears hold you back from doing what's right for you.

Best wishes in whatever you decide ;)

Kacee: That is how I feel. I want to enjoy life with my children while they are young and I don't want them to lose me because I didn't take care of myself. I don't want to waist the next 20 years of my life because I was afraid to take this step. Let's face it, if I could lose the wait by simple diet and exercise, I wouldn't be so over weight. Thank you for your input.

Teri, I love my lapband. I haven't gained any weight in a year and a half. I am considered an average/slow loser at 65 lbs. I would do it again in a heart beat. Good luck with your decision.

MusicalMomma: Thank you too for your input. That is how it is with my mom. I am her baby girl and she has it set her head that if I do this it can shorten my life. She keeps comparing it to gastric bypass. I told her that my life is being shortened by being overweight and that she will never understand where I am at physically and emotinally. I told her that I love her and respect her opinion, but I need her to respect how I feel. I think she knows in her heart that this is right for me, she is just very afraid of the what ifs.

Teri -

Your story is exactly why I did not tell anyone except my husband at first. I told just 3 other people (including my skinny mom) the day before surgery. All of these people want the best but they do not live in my skin.

I had to make this decision for myself which was tough but so worth it. I gained 10 pounds per year for the last decade and I did not see that ever stopping. Especially at the holidays, it was shear torture.

Long story short, like Kacee I just kick myself for not doing this sooner. It is a miracle.

I am just at the beginning of the process but 21 pounds down and 6 inches gone from my waist - in just TWO months.