Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Surgery Buddies!!!

3 hours ago, tuttgrs said:

My surgery is tomorrow November 3rd. I’m so nervous, happy and scared. Is that really possible?

It absolutely is! I just returned home this morning from receiving the sleeve and I was feeling all of those emotions going in on Monday for the surgery!

Overall I'm feeling good! The procedure went great, I had an awesome care team, and my pain is tolerable. The first sip of Water post- procedure was scary and did not feel good (I expelled it back up). However, I've been sipping well since then...

I highly recommend you have some ice packs on hand (because you'll need them) for the largest incision. I'm also on a clear liquid diet so having broth, water, cranberry and apple juice on hand is helpful as well!

Cheers to all of the new and improved lifestyles beginning this month! 🌠

8 minutes ago, SparklesE said:

It absolutely is! I just returned home this morning from receiving the sleeve and I was feeling all of those emotions going in on Monday for the surgery!

Overall I'm feeling good! The procedure went great, I had an awesome care team, and my pain is tolerable. The first sip of Water post- procedure was scary and did not feel good (I expelled it back up). However, I've been sipping well since then...

I highly recommend you have some ice packs on hand (because you'll need them) for the largest incision. I'm also on a clear liquid diet so having broth, Water, cranberry and apple juice on hand is helpful as well!

Cheers to all of the new and improved lifestyles beginning this month! 🌠

Does the apple juice upset your stomach because of the sugar??

36 minutes ago, Lem32 said:

Does the apple juice upset your stomach because of the sugar??

To be honest, it doesn't! I'm generally not a fan of apple juice but a few hours after surgery it tasted really good/mellow with my stomach.

Dr Spencer done my surgery in June
Best decision I ever made you’re in great hands

I went to my final pre-op appointment yesterday, when I got there the NP said she had an opening for 16 November and I was SO excited!!! Then the doctor came in and realized that OR slot was for the sleeve and I'm doing the RNY which takes longer... .So now surgery in 4 Jan. I'm a little disappointed but feeling alright about the fact that I can do things with my friends this holiday season without explaining to anyone what I'm doing - I want it to be a secret for the most part.

Also a bit bummed that I will be on vacation in Florida when I start my pre-op diet, which will suck but whatever.

16 minutes ago, LilaNicole20 said:

I went to my final pre-op appointment yesterday, when I got there the NP said she had an opening for 16 November and I was SO excited!!! Then the doctor came in and realized that OR slot was for the sleeve and I'm doing the RNY which takes longer... .So now surgery in 4 Jan. I'm a little disappointed but feeling alright about the fact that I can do things with my friends this holiday season without explaining to anyone what I'm doing - I want it to be a secret for the most part.

Also a bit bummed that I will be on vacation in Florida when I start my pre-op diet, which will suck but whatever.

I can imagine that the news of your surgery date being pushed out is disappointing but hang in there! January will be here before you know it!

Don't stress and enjoy the time you have this holiday season! You'll be starting the new year with an incredible gift to yourself! Something to look forward to! 🌠

I'm curious if the other November Sleeve Buddies are open about their surgery with their family and friends? Like you, I have chosen to keep this to myself to allow myself to process and heal without any unsolicited input/distractions from those around me. I'm doing this for me and don't feel the need or desire to share at this point...

57 minutes ago, SparklesE said:

I can imagine that the news of your surgery date being pushed out is disappointing but hang in there! January will be here before you know it!

Don't stress and enjoy the time you have this holiday season! You'll be starting the new year with an incredible gift to yourself! Something to look forward to! 🌠

I'm curious if the other November Sleeve Buddies are open about their surgery with their family and friends? Like you, I have chosen to keep this to myself to allow myself to process and heal without any unsolicited input/distractions from those around me. I'm doing this for me and don't feel the need or desire to share at this point...

I think its a really interesting topic - to share or not to share. This is all about me and no one else. Thankfully everyone important to me is on board and fully supportive of my decision to go forward with this. My brother (who is overweight) is the only one who said something bratty so far, he said "well that's drastic". I just do not need that from anyone. I decide what is drastic, this isn't drastic to me - it's imperative! I was hoping it would open the idea to him doing something similar in the future but apparently he's fine.

I definitely do not need society's input. No thank you! haha

Congrats to you for putting yourself first!! When is your surgery date?

On 11/2/2021 at 2:33 PM, LilaNicole20 said:

Sounds like you'll be updating your current weight soon!

Haha, we will see. I actually GAINED weight one day, and then stayed the same today. I swear. I hope my liver is nice and small, 'cause the scale can be a devil.

It really is an interesting topic... I have a friend who is sharing with everyone (coworkers, friends, strangers, you name it 😆) and I'm the complete opposite.

I agree with you 100%! I do not need any validation from those around me- the same way I didn't need any pressure or negativity while overweight and considering my options.

I received the sleeve just three days ago! I'm slowly but surely feeling better physically and happy with my decision. Like you, this wasn't as drastic as a decision for me like others may feel. Nonetheless, it was the right decision for me at the right time and I'm looking forward to this journey of good health and feeling my best!

1 hour ago, SparklesE said:

I started telling a few people like brother-in-law and sis-in-law. I don't have the strength for secrets right now. They ask for too much creativity, lol. I'm not posting it on Facebook or anything, but my husband will be off work and his brother and his dad both stop by there; it would be hard for him not to give an explanation of why he's off for two weeks or not available for other things.

I don't want to hear anyone's crap, either. So it's a balance. If someone thinks I'd hang in on a program for 1 year wait, drink liquids for 2 weeks for something that I hadn't thought through, that's their problem.

3 minutes ago, SparklesE said:

It really is an interesting topic... I have a friend who is sharing with everyone (coworkers, friends, strangers, you name it 😆) and I'm the complete opposite.

I agree with you 100%! I do not need any validation from those around me- the same way I didn't need any pressure or negativity while overweight and considering my options.

I received the sleeve just three days ago! I'm slowly but surely feeling better physically and happy with my decision. Like you, this wasn't as drastic as a decision for me like others may feel. Nonetheless, it was the right decision for me at the right time and I'm looking forward to this journey of good health and feeling my best!

So awesome!!! ... are you going to update your numbers so we can see your progress?! heheh little peer pressure there ;-)

1 minute ago, Skylar428 said:

Hey guys...vhad surgery on the 2nd ...what day is it now??

Just a FYI.. because I've read all the things and no one has ever said this so.

For the first few days when you put liquid or food in your stomach . It hurts and you can feel it. Other than that things are great

Congratulations! I had surgery on the 1st and you're absolutely right! The first few swallows of liquid are extremely UNCOMFORTABLE! 😣 At three days out- some sips are better than others. I get this bottleneck feeling where the liquid sits and then all of a sudden fizzles down into my stomach... It's taking some getting use to...

3 minutes ago, LilaNicole20 said:

So awesome!!! ... are you going to update your numbers so we can see your progress?! heheh little peer pressure there ;-)

Hahahaha 😂 You know, since you asked, I will certainly consider completely my profile and stats... I will share that I lost 12lbs doing the required 10 pre-op liquid diet. It sucked- but it worked! I have not weighed myself since day of surgery- I'm trying not to scale watch but focus on the lifestyle changes and how I feel instead (even though it's tempting). 😉

13 minutes ago, SparklesE said:

Congratulations! I had surgery on the 1st and you're absolutely right! The first few swallows of liquid are extremely UNCOMFORTABLE! 😣 At three days out- some sips are better than others. I get this bottleneck feeling where the liquid sits and then all of a sudden fizzles down into my stomach... It's taking some getting use to...

I just wish someone would have told me that before hand lol