Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those who had a very easy recovery...

I was sleeved on 9/7 and have had a phenomenal recovery! I have no issues with any food, reflux, pain etc. My mind is trying to play tricks on me and tell me that because I'm not suffering and can eat and drink without issue that maybe this isn't going to work for me. I do feel some restriction with food but not with fluids. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that other people have recovered like I have and gone on to be successful in losing the weight. I have 70 pounds to get to my goal. TIA! ❤️

I was sleeved on 9/7 and have had a phenomenal recovery! I have no issues with any food, reflux, pain etc. My mind is trying to play tricks on me and tell me that because I'm not suffering and can eat and drink without issue that maybe this isn't going to work for me. I do feel some restriction with food but not with fluids. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that other people have recovered like I have and gone on to be successful in losing the weight. I have 70 pounds to get to my goal. TIA! [emoji3590]
I am 6 days away from surgery and feeling so nervous. Keeps me hopeful to hear this...I really hope to have a great recovery.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Angie, I had a very easy, pain-free recovery and no nausea. Now I’m at 14 mos. out from VSG surgery. Have lost 51 lbs. so far, with about 10-15 lbs. more to lose. I had my nutritionist appointment yesterday and she was pleased and said I was doing fine, even though my rate of loss is really slow at this point, especially when I compare myself to others (which we’re not supposed to do!).

On 09/23/2021 at 21:53, Elidh said:

Hi Angie, I had a very easy, pain-free recovery and no nausea. Now I’m at 14 mos. out from VSG surgery. Have lost 51 lbs. so far, with about 10-15 lbs. more to lose. I had my nutritionist appointment yesterday and she was pleased and said I was doing fine, even though my rate of loss is really slow at this point, especially when I compare myself to others (which we’re not supposed to do!).

Thank you for the reply. It seems your stats were probably similar to mine. Good luck on that last 10-15. You'll get there!! 😊

On 09/23/2021 at 21:50, FLPhoenix said:

I am 6 days away from surgery and feeling so nervous. Keeps me hopeful to hear this...I really hope to have a great recovery.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Congratulations and good luck!! I hope you have an easy recovery! ❤️

2 hours ago, AngieL11282 said:

I was sleeved on 9/7 and have had a phenomenal recovery! I have no issues with any food, reflux, pain etc. My mind is trying to play tricks on me and tell me that because I'm not suffering and can eat and drink without issue that maybe this isn't going to work for me. I do feel some restriction with food but not with fluids. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that other people have recovered like I have and gone on to be successful in losing the weight. I have 70 pounds to get to my goal. TIA! ❤️

I have the same worry. This seems... too easy. I feel like I shouldn't be able to drink as much as I am, and I worry that I'm consuming too much.

I had a great super fast and pain-free recovery. I was told I'd need at least a week to drive again, but I was driving 48 hours later. I was told it would take at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer, before I'd be back in action, but it only took a week. My surgeon said it was just good luck. But it definitely does happen for some people.

My recovery was fairly easy. I had the "foamies" a couple of times from eating too much or too fast. Some foods felt bad in my stomach initially but I just put them on the list of "try again later." eggs were probably the hardest to reintroduce. No matter how I ate them, boiled, fried, scrambled , I felt like I ate a rock. It was at least a year before I could eat them comfortably. After about 6 months I could eat most anything I chose to eat in small portions. I had very little pain after surgery. The worst part was finding out I was allergic to the surgical staples and had horrible dermatitis around each incision. I thought I would scratch my skin off. Removing the staples and a little hydrocortisone cream cured that. I was a slow loser but I tried not to compare myself to others. I just told myself, it will happen eventually! I never had a stall, all the way to goal. Now, almost 3 yrs later, I continue to follow the guidelines I was given, track my Protein and have had no problem maintaining my weight. Sometimes I'll look at "junk food" and have absolutely no desire to eat it. All I have to do is look in a mirror and I think to myself, "I'd rather look like this than taste that!" I've now paid for 2 skin removal plastic surgeries (a lot of money) also and don't want to undo the progress I've made there!

I don't think you have to suffer to have great results. There is nothing wrong with having a smooth course. I've had 4 surgeries in the last 3 yrs and have followed "doctors orders" with each one and had great successful recoveries. I just don't dwell on any little "bumps in the road" in the process. With time it all works out. For me, best decision ever!

I also had a very easy recovery. Actually, I think that's a lot more common than not. And yes - you'll start feeling the restriction once you move to solid food.

As I posted a minute ago on another thread, no or minor problems is by far the norm for WLS surgeries.

People tend to post about problems, looking for help, support, just to rant, or in some cases to get pity. It's human nature. Folks having troubles early post op are working to get to were most people are: On plan.

People with little to no problem generally just keep doing it quietly. And yet, unusually, we have 2 threads today about contrary to apparently most others, things are going well.

If things are going rough, keep working and you will get (up) to plan. You will get there with focus, effort, persistence, time and in some cases medical and/or moral support.

Once you get to plan, whether it was easy or hard, stay laser focused on staying on plan. For some it's hard to get up to plan for others it's hard to stay down to plan.

It is easiest to stay on plan in the first few months. Use these months to make your plan normal. It will serve you later.

Continued good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Easy recovery here (both VSG and revision to RNY for gerd) and I was so paranoid that every year I went in for a barium swallow to look at my sleeve. I kept thinking I stretched it or injured it blahblahblah even though I could never eat more than a cup, even years later lol. You're good. Once you hit solids, it'll be a whole different ballgame.

I had easy recovery and at 6 months out I have lost 55 pounds (I am 20 pounds from goal). I have always been able to eat more than I am supposed to and worried that would derail me but I just keep measuring and I have been okay. I am at a pretty long stall that I am hoping is not me going into maintenance.