Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band erosion

I have to agree that it was quite traumatic for me to wake up in the middle of the night coughing and choking on vomit.

I am sick to death of worrying about either being too tight or too loose or whether or not the band wrapped around my stomach is damaging my stomach while I think and wonder if everything is fine.

I think you are confused about a few issues. Let me explain so you will understand.

First of all, going to Mexico isn't anymore dangerous than going to a surgeon in the US. Regardless of country it is critical to research your surgeon. My insurance would have covered my band and my revision to sleeve in the US. I didn't like those surgeons. Now, when I had my band I didn't want to jump through insurance hoops and wait a year to get my band so I did my research and I went to Mexico.

I hated the band, hated it with a passion. I had band intolerance. I got to a point where I couldn't wait any longer. I needed a revision. There are no revision surgeons in AZ that I was comfortable with. I am a nurse and it was my choice not to go to them. I wanted the best surgeon possible and for me that was Dr. Aceves. Yeah, he's in Mexico. I have news for you, just because someone is in the US does not make them good and just because a doctor is in MX does not make him bad. Open a book, do some research, you will see that there are fantastic surgeons in every country just as their are crappy surgeons in every country. I'll bet you a dollar my surgeon has better stats than your surgeon and I don't even know who your surgeon is.

As far as angry... Ok. Let me rephrase my comments about banding.

I have very fond memories of acid shooting out my nose in my sleep, it was an enjoyable experience puking acid in the middle of the night. I should have known better than to lay flat in bed. Lord knows, I should have slept standing up. My fault completely.

I was especially thrilled each morning when I would wake up so I could look forward to finding out if I could eat food that day or not. Or... if I could drink Water. It was nothing short of trippy discovering I couldn't drink water that day. Yet, on other days I could eat a steak in one sitting.

Social events were exciting! I'd go out with friends shopping, then we'd go to lunch and if I dared to eat anything solid I stayed in the bathroom puking and stoma spewing while my friends waited for me.

I could go on but no doubt you can see how much fun it all was. I have very fond memories of banding and ohhhh, I wish I could do it again! Just for the heck of it!

Do you know what Inamed's stats are? At the end of 5 years you can expect to have kept off 55-60% of your excess weight. Those are horrible stats. 30-50% of people have to bank on having a 2nd surgery before 5 years is up. Anything from a flipped port to repairing a slip (which is still on the rise, btw), to removing a band due to band intolerance, erosion, or a host of other reasons. Banding is the hardest procedure to lose weight, it offers the slowest weight loss and the lowest weight loss of all procedures. It has more long term risks and complications than the sleeve - hands down.

So before you start talking about how we are, those with problems, you keep that band and when you are at five years we'll see you here too, probably sooner.

Please don't assume you have the slightest clue what the people here have been through. Unless you have experienced what those posting here have, you have no room to talk as though you have any idea of what they have lived through.

Don't they have a gastricsleevesupport.com you can go and spread your garbage to? I am sure they would welcome you with open arms. All I know is that I have lost 117 pounds in 9 months as of today. I have not had one issue. You seem to have so much pent up anger, I would suggest excercize to help you relax.

Don't they have a gastricsleevesupport.com you can go and spread your garbage to? I am sure they would welcome you with open arms. All I know is that I have lost 117 pounds in 9 months as of today. I have not had one issue. You seem to have so much pent up anger, I would suggest excercize to help you relax.

I met goal in 10 months. You really don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Did you open a book and read about countries outside the US? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I met goal in 10 months. You really don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Did you open a book and read about countries outside the US? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Man you must be a blast to hang out with! You seem to be a very defensive and abrasive person. Just look at all your posts you attack anyone with a different opinion than yours. By the way I am guessing you have no idea about the travel alert for Mexico? Oh wait, I am sure you will reply with statistics for how unsafe america is. You really are sounding anti-american. Also you met goal in 10 months with what? Hmm it was the band wasn't it? I get that you didn't like the band. You have made that clear. We get it. You continuously post the same information over and over.

My personal opinion with the stats to back it up is that the band is a great alternative to getting a drastic surgical step where you lose part of your stomache. I am pro lapband and I do know what I am talking about since #1 I am a lapbander. #2 I have lost 117 pounds in 9 months. #3 I did plenty of research beforehand and knew that I wanted a tool not a fix.

Please do us all lapbanders a favor and stop attacking everyone or leave. I am sure I am not the only one that thinks your response to posts are ridiculously immature. Just in case you missed it www.gastricsleevesupport.com. :tongue_smilie:

Man you must be a blast to hang out with! You seem to be a very defensive and abrasive person. Just look at all your posts you attack anyone with a different opinion than yours. By the way I am guessing you have no idea about the travel alert for Mexico?

No, I am the one that has repeatedly written on various boards that people should be very careful about where they are going in MX. I have written countless times that certain parts of MX are quite dangerous and to be careful about location. Care to try again?

Stating my experiences with the band is not defensive or abrasive, it's called honesty, a concept I do not believe you are familiar.

Oh wait, I am sure you will reply with statistics for how unsafe america is. You really are sounding anti-american.

Heh.. do you realize you are putting words in my mouth that I have never uttered and basing your opinions about me on your own words. ;o) Do you have the slightest idea how silly you appear right now? I'm sorry, I'm laughing right now, you flat out claim you are just sure how I will reply and based on THAT I am anti-American? Are you serious?

I have stated the same thing for years. There are good and bad doctors in every country. Are you of the opinion if someone is Mexican they are a complete dolt?

Also you met goal in 10 months with what? Hmm it was the band wasn't it? I get that you didn't like the band. You have made that clear. We get it. You continuously post the same information over and over.

Some was the band, not much. I was unfilled or underfilled my banded life. I exercise my butt off, literally. I did 1-2 hours of hard cardio daily, I kept calories at 600 daily. I ran a minimum of 7 miles daily. How much of that is the band? I do post the same info, have you followed message boards much? The same questions are asked repeatedly.

My personal opinion with the stats to back it up is that the band is a great alternative to getting a drastic surgical step where you lose part of your stomache. I am pro lapband and I do know what I am talking about since #1 I am a lapbander. #2 I have lost 117 pounds in 9 months. #3 I did plenty of research beforehand and knew that I wanted a tool not a fix.

I have news for you. We ALL want tools. There is no surgery that is a quick fix. Sleeves are restrictive EXACTLY like a band is restrictive. No more and no less... other than sleeves have far better stats. A bypass is not a quick fix. There is no surgery type that allows you to eat processed carbs and you won't gain weight. Get off that high horse, we all struggle with the same weight issues. You are no exception or you wouldn't have had surgery.

Please do us all lapbanders a favor and stop attacking everyone or leave. I am sure I am not the only one that thinks your response to posts are ridiculously immature. Just in case you missed it www.gastricsleevesupport.com. :ohmy:

Do you have the slighest idea what section of LBT you are posting? Lady, you have guts to come to a section where people have band problems, erosions, slips, band intolerance and then sit there telling us we are angry.

I'll bet you a cyberdollar you'll be here or somewhere within the next few years complaining of slips, erosion, something.

You made my point for me :ohmy: I have been wondering if you possibly have an agenda here. You say your dh is a doctor and you are a nurse is it possible you work in Mexico? I also notice there is no picture of you at all. Not before not after. I dont hide behind a cartoon character. You see who I am, You see my results, You see my name. What do they call the false posters on here oh that's right TROLLS.

I also note that you say you worked your butt off to get to goal. If you could do all you say you can then why dear did you need the band or the sleeve at all. You sure talk a big game but as of yet I see nothing substantial that you have posted. All I see is someone hiding behind words.

I am a lapbander and post on lapbandtalk.com. You see my results, you see my name. Good luck to you on your "Journey", until I see some real proof that you aren't some "marketing director for a hospital in Mexico" I am the one who is laughing.

Edited by alliemorris73
garbage post accidentally included

For privacy reasons, MANY people do not feel comfortable posting a picture on this board. When I had surgery, I told 2 people and that's how it remains today. That does NOT mean I am "hiding" and I must caution you on that point. Some members would consider that comment quite insulting.

I had my lapband surgery done in the U.S. but can no longer tolerate living with it. I am on nexium, feel little restriction, and worry that the chronic heart burn and regurgitation will lead to esophageal cancer. On 3/31, I fly to Mexico and on 4/1 I will have revision surgery to a sleeve. I did tons of research, picked the surgeon with the most experience, lowest complication rates, and talked with people who had the procedure by him.

I am very happy that the band was so good for you. As long term studies begin to come out, others are not as fortunate as you are and more people are electing for other WLS options.

I can assure you that WasA does not work in Mexico. I have met her many times when I go to Phoenix to go and visit my dad.

She is a very caring person who cares about people's health. This is an erosion thread. She cares about people who have bands that are eroding their stomach.

You made my point for me :ohmy: I have been wondering if you possibly have an agenda here. You say your dh is a doctor and you are a nurse is it possible you work in Mexico? I also notice there is no picture of you at all. Not before not after. I dont hide behind a cartoon character. You see who I am, You see my results, You see my name. What do they call the false posters on here oh that's right TROLLS.

I also note that you say you worked your butt off to get to goal. If you could do all you say you can then why dear did you need the band or the sleeve at all. You sure talk a big game but as of yet I see nothing substantial that you have posted. All I see is someone hiding behind words.

I am a lapbander and post on lapbandtalk.com. You see my results, you see my name. Good luck to you on your "Journey", until I see some real proof that you aren't some "marketing director for a hospital in Mexico" I am the one who is laughing.

Wow, I am shocked at how many times in a 24 hour period of time you can be so wrong. You just don't give up.

No, I do not work in Mexico, I work in home health in the US. No, my husband does not work in MX either, he is a psychiatrist.

If you'd really like to look foolish one of the mods and I are friends in real time. She's met me, she's was aware of my band problems as they existed, she was aware of my revision to a sleeve before it was announced, she's seen my scars, she knows pretty much everything about me. I'll call her over.

Heh... looking above she has already responded to you. OregonDaisy. Why don't you pose your questions to her regarding me.

Are you familiar with internet privacy? People know me, my real time name, my personal contact info, etc. as I permit them to have that info. It's kinda stupid to give up internet privacy.

Hi Ms. Alex! you know, I just had all of my saline removed in november because I was not able to swallow even Water. I had gotten so skinny you could see my bones through my skin! The fill doctor gave me no good reason why I was not able to eat or drink anything, I just pray it isn't an erosion. I will be going to see a doctor from Kaiser soon, and hopefully I will get some answers; in the meantime I have gained about 40lbs. back and am miserable! I have changed my diet to fish and salads, almost no sweets, and nothing seems to be working. I can't wait to get filled again, I just hope I am able. If I keep going like this I'll be back at 200lbs!

For privacy reasons, MANY people do not feel comfortable posting a picture on this board. When I had surgery, I told 2 people and that's how it remains today. That does NOT mean I am "hiding" and I must caution you on that point. Some members would consider that comment quite insulting.

I had my lapband surgery done in the U.S. but can no longer tolerate living with it. I am on nexium, feel little restriction, and worry that the chronic heart burn and regurgitation will lead to esophageal cancer. On 3/31, I fly to Mexico and on 4/1 I will have revision surgery to a sleeve. I did tons of research, picked the surgeon with the most experience, lowest complication rates, and talked with people who had the procedure by him.

I am very happy that the band was so good for you. As long term studies begin to come out, others are not as fortunate as you are and more people are electing for other WLS options.

Hey Elisabeth.... congrats on the decision! Sleeves are sooo much easier than banding, you'll see. If you have to switch teams, it's good to see you on this team!

OregonDaisy:

I can assure you that WasA does not work in Mexico. I have met her many times when I go to Phoenix to go and visit my dad.

She is a very caring person who cares about people's health. This is an erosion thread. She cares about people who have bands that are eroding their stomach.

Thanks!

OregonDaisy:

Thanks!

You're welcome! Why would I not tell the truth! I have always said I wish more people could meet you to see for themselves how caring you are!

since most or all of us have such big stomaches anyways then how do you know if your stomache is bloated to the point of erosion? Is that litterally the only symptom you had? no pain or sickness or anything?

Hey Wabb,

I wonder what your true intentions are on this board anymore after getting the sleeve. If it's to help bandsters out with your knowledge of the band from your previous experience then that is very noble of you. However, if you bring up the sleeve everytime you enter a discussion or even have it in your signature then it sure seems like your real intent is to either win converts or stir up discontent. And that is just sad.

Also, you say that the band got you here and the sleeve will keep you here or something along those lines. Isn't the first part a fact and the second part just a hope at this stage? Finally, one last question, what happens if the sleeve doesn't keep you at your weight and you eventually start gaining? Is it adjustable like the band?

Hey Wabb,

I wonder what your true intentions are on this board anymore after getting the sleeve. If it's to help bandsters out with your knowledge of the band from your previous experience then that is very noble of you. However, if you bring up the sleeve everytime you enter a discussion or even have it in your signature then it sure seems like your real intent is to either win converts or stir up discontent. And that is just sad.

Also, you say that the band got you here and the sleeve will keep you here or something along those lines. Isn't the first part a fact and the second part just a hope at this stage? Finally, one last question, what happens if the sleeve doesn't keep you at your weight and you eventually start gaining? Is it adjustable like the band?

Right, it's a conspiracy against all of Inamed and that is why I post. ;o) Now com'on.. you have to admit your question is odd.

I offer a lot of band information, not sure why you suggest that I some weird intentions. I've been here for two years or so, I'm not likely leaving anytime soon as I have a lot of friends here.

I don't go into a lot of detail about sleeves on regular band threads unless someone asks or if there is a person that already knows aftercare if going to be an issue. If you'll notice there is a sleeve section in this forum as well as a bypass section.. The forum is not limited to banded folks only. This board is not for bands only.

This is an erosion thread. Usually after an erosion the doctors will not reband those folks. They are likely to erode again. Should I not tell them their options? Most people think they have a choice of band or bypass. Most people who get banded do so because they don't want bypass. Are you suggesting that those of us revising to a sleeve not tell anyone? There are quite a few of us, more and more daily.

Why shouldn't I have it in my sig? Should I pretend I'm still banded? You really are picking here looking for any little thing you can jump on. If I just post and people know I am at goal should I let them assume I am banded? Is that something you believe is a better option?

Yeah, my real intention is to gain converts. I get brownie points from God for gaining converts. Are you reading what you are writing? Why don't you explain how it benefits me if someone gets a sleeve, band, or revises from a band to sleeve? How does this improve the quality of my life? Since I wasn't aware that letting people know their options was a plus for me personally, perhaps you can explain this to me?

How do I know I will stay at goal with a sleeve? How do you know you'll stay at goal with a band? I know that odds are I stand a better chance than banded people do just from stats. I know that I do not struggle to maintain my current weight. I know that I have completely and totally changed my eating habits. None of us regardless of surgery type has a written guarantee that we will reach goal or stay there. We all have to find the right surgery type for us. I find value in people knowing ALL their options, don't you?

Nope, the sleeve is not adjustable like banding. But I am not sure you understand why this is not necessary. There is a valve at the bottom of your stomach and that valve controls how fast your stomach empties. The lap band basically attempts to do what the valve does naturally, just higher up in your stomach. Your use a band for this, I use my pyloric valve for this, thus I don't need adjustable. When you get adjustments you are basically trying to make the band do what your pyloric valve does anyway thus, I have no need to adjust my pyloric valve.

If for some reason I fail the sleeve, and I don't see that as a problem today but none of us knows what tomorrow will bring, I can revise to bypass or DS. If someone feels restriction alone is not working sleeved people have the same options for revision as banded folks.

When I was banded there were no long term US stats on banding or sleeves. Those came out recently. Had I known then what I know now I would never have gotten a band. If I can prevent someone else from getting revision surgery... damn straight I'm going to. It's riskier to have a revision, it is expensive, and the more options people have the better. I will continue telling people of their options and that is just something that isn't going to change, sorry but it's not.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt