Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical Alert Bracelet - do you wear one?

Hello friends! 😀

I will be having surgery (RNY) in about a month and am picking up a few odds and ends beforehand. One thing that came to mind based on some posts I've read is a medical alert Bracelet. I travel for work at least once a quarter and will be traveling around 8 weeks post-op. I started to wonder if it maybe I should wear a medical alert bracelet in case some kind of emergency happened and I wasn't with someone who knew about my surgery (only three humans + my medical team know at this point). The downside of course is wearing any kind of medical-related visual as I am a super private person. I did find some very cute and less traditional looking ones on Amazon.

So - do you wear a medical alert bracelet or no? Not sure if it's really necessary, but was curious to ask this group your thoughts. The reason I am so curious is I recently read on a post about someone sadly losing a relative when they were intubated (*I think* ) and the EMTs somehow perforated this individuals stomach. 😥 I am not a medical professional and I could have this completely wrong! But, I am one of those people that is overly cautious about most things - so these types of stories always set off my danger alarm.

Thanks all! 😀

I've heard that story too, about being intubated and having the stomach perforated. I would ask your surgeon if they think it's really necessary. I don't plan to wear a medical alert Bracelet, but I'm having sleeve, so I don't think it would be the same issue. Needing to have an urgent intubation is really not that common, and I think of medical alert bracelets for things that would occur more commonly, like anaphylaxis and blood sugar issues. But if it makes you feel safer, I don't think most people would be able to read what it was for - although if you get one that doesn't look enough like a medical alert bracelet, would the EMTs know to read it?

I don't wear one.

I've talked with several Docs informally and basically when inserting such a tube they are supposed to stop when they meet resistance. Thus, the person inserting the tube screwed up. They said a Bracelet likely wouldn't have prevented the screw-up.

Good luck,

Tek

1 hour ago, lizonaplane said:

Needing to have an urgent intubation is really not that common, and I think of medical alert bracelets for things that would occur more commonly, like anaphylaxis and blood sugar issues. But if it makes you feel safer, I don't think most people would be able to read what it was for - although if you get one that doesn't look enough like a medical alert Bracelet, would the EMTs know to read it?

This is such a good point!

9 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

I've talked with several Docs informally and basically when inserting such a tube they are supposed to stop when they meet resistance. Thus, the person inserting the tube screwed up. They said a Bracelet likely wouldn't have prevented the screw-up.

Thank you for sharing what the docs have told you. So very helpful!

I don't have one and don't think I know anyone who does, but if having one makes you feel safer, go for it. It's never wrong to have one...

Check out roadid.com I used to wear one when I ran. It’s very discrete but well known to emergency personnel. It’s comfy and durable and you can wear it anywhere!

If you have an iPhone it has Medical ID on it where you can record medical alert information that will display on your phone in case of emergency.