Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can’t keep Most food down

Tuesday I’ll be 1 month post op. I was doing so well my first week post op. Getting all my Water and Protein. Ever since week two days have been hit or miss. I keep water down but food makes me so nauseous. I don’t know what to do. Protein Shakes, eggs, lactose… all makes me sick. I’ve thrown up multiple times a week lately. Today I woke up and felt so hungry but I couldn’t keep anything down. I feel like such a failure and so defeated. I regret doing this most days and I feel so alone.

I'm about two months out, and doing pretty well by now. I had a few tough days after about a week to ten days, and I still can't stand the thought of some of those foods. You can expect a turnaround.

What worked for me early on was Soups ground in the blender. (A bullet blender works well for this.) I would put in extra meat to add extra Protein. I can eat 8 ounces now, but at that stage, it was more like 3 or 4. I like it spicy, so I bought some commercial curry sauce at Kroger, then ground it up with some chicken and thinned it with chicken broth to make a Soup. I had that a lot.

sugar-free popsicles were (and are) still a go-to for me. No nutrition, but they're pleasant in the mouth.

And you're not alone when you're on this board. Everyone here knows what you've been going through, because they've been through it, too. Or they plan to go through it.

contact your surgeon in the morning. It's possible this could be a stricture, and if so, you'll need to get that fixed (I had two - at four weeks out and again at eight weeks out. Easy fix and I felt 100% btter immediately.

if it's not that, you could be intolerant to eggs and lactose - that is not uncommon, and it's usually temporary. But I would for sure call my clinic in case it's the former reason.

Edited by catwoman7

Did the surgeon give you any anti- nausea meds? You can try OTC Dramamine - the kind with Meclizine. I'm over 3 years out & I carry some with me at all times. I still get nauseous at times. I buy the meclizine in bulk from Amazon!

4 hours ago, Dave In Houston said:

I'm about two months out, and doing pretty well by now. I had a few tough days after about a week to ten days, and I still can't stand the thought of some of those foods. You can expect a turnaround.

What worked for me early on was Soups ground in the blender. (A bullet blender works well for this.) I would put in extra meat to add extra Protein. I can eat 8 ounces now, but at that stage, it was more like 3 or 4. I like it spicy, so I bought some commercial curry sauce at Kroger, then ground it up with some chicken and thinned it with chicken broth to make a Soup. I had that a lot.

sugar-free popsicles were (and are) still a go-to for me. No nutrition, but they're pleasant in the mouth.

And you're not alone when you're on this board. Everyone here knows what you've been going through, because they've been through it, too. Or they plan to go through it.

This was extremely encouraging. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

contact your surgeon in the morning. It's possible this could be a stricture, and if so, you'll need to get that fixed (I had two - at four weeks out and again at eight weeks out. Easy fix and I felt 100% btter immediately.

if it's not that, you could be intolerant to eggs and lactose - that is not uncommon, and it's usually temporary. But I would for sure call my clinic in case it's the former reason.

I’ve been keeping contact with him and he doesn’t seem worried.

i think I have intolerances to certain food. It’s a learning curve for sure, I hope it’s temporary!

1 hour ago, toodlerue said:

Did the surgeon give you any anti- nausea meds? You can try OTC Dramamine - the kind with Meclizine. I'm over 3 years out & I carry some with me at all times. I still get nauseous at times. I buy the meclizine in bulk from Amazon!

He did, I’m not typically nauseous until after I eat something my stomach doesn’t like. I don’t have enough time to take a pill before I’m throwing it up.

Then try taking the meds before you eat.

So sorry your experiencing this. It can take time to work out what your tummy can & can’t tolerate after surgery - it can be pretty fussy & overly sensitive. Developing an intolerance to certain foods, especially lactose, isn’t uncommon & it’s not always permanent. (Check your shake doesn’t contain lactose. If it does look for an alternative lactose free one.) Some have trouble with eggs or chicken or beef.

Record the foods that upset you & avoid them for a while. Try a plainer diet for a while so it doesn’t aggravate your tummy lining especially if you’re someone who likes spicy foods.

We all heal & react differently. Some struggle with food to begin while others have few or no issues. Just one of those things

Good luck & I hope this improves for you soon.

9 hours ago, xobambi said:

Tuesday I’ll be 1 month post op. I was doing so well my first week post op. Getting all my Water and Protein. Ever since week two days have been hit or miss. I keep Water down but food makes me so nauseous. I don’t know what to do. Protein Shakes, eggs, lactose… all makes me sick. I’ve thrown up multiple times a week lately. Today I woke up and felt so hungry but I couldn’t keep anything down. I feel like such a failure and so defeated. I regret doing this most days and I feel so alone.

Try fairlife milk lowfat. Very high Protein and similar feel to water.

8 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

Try fairlife milk lowfat. Very high Protein and similar feel to Water.

Also lactose free!