Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Misunderstood and ate what I shouldn’t.

I called the dr office to ask a question and when I told her dr cleared me to have non puréed food she was surprised and also I misunderstood and I was NOT supposed to have Pasta or anything doughy and I had pasta and a burrito. She said this can cause a Bolis?? Now I am super nervous that I hurt myself. I don’t have any pain as of now but I am so anxious.

Edited by ShoppGirl

So you went from puréed food to Pasta and burrito? Your program must be different but my next step was soft Protein foods that could easily be cut with a fork. It’s more important to make sure your protein intake is adequate before adding other foods. I haven’t had either pasta or burritos but I think they’d produce a doughy bolus (ball of chewed food) that can be difficult to swallow. Not great for a newly healing stomach.

Hey! congrats on your surgery and progress so far. Try not to freak out. I think at some point we have all messed up and had something we shouldn’t or too soon. I know what the nurse told you is scary about complications, but just monitor yourself and maybe give yourself some extra time for digestion before putting anything else in your body!!

So my plan had me go from puréed food to “soft foods” so I just wanted to share a couple things you could try to bridge the gap between the puréed and regular food stage (I’m not allowed regular food til month 3 post op, but my plan is kind of strict) but what I’ve been eating in the soft foods/transitional stage has been like smothered green Beans, moist soft chicken (I made a low-fat low cal gravy), sweet potatoes, ground Turkey (made some really good stuffed bell peppers with some this week but I’ve been really sick to eat more than half of one), I’ve done ricotta bakes (look it up, life changer), low cal/fat “lasagna” with egg instead of Pasta, some ground chicken patties with spinach and green onions.

what my NUT/surgeon told me is the new stomach is trying to learn how to digest properly for even months after surgery. So things very starchy or carby are dangerous because they can become gelatinous in the stomach!!

So please don’t freak out, I know it’s scary! Monitor yourself and if anything starts feeling wrong besides being full, contact your doctor!!

You’ve got this!!!

8 minutes ago, BayouTiger said:

Hey! congrats on your surgery and progress so far. Try not to freak out. I think at some point we have all messed up and had something we shouldn’t or too soon. I know what the nurse told you is scary about complications, but just monitor yourself and maybe give yourself some extra time for digestion before putting anything else in your body!!

So my plan had me go from puréed food to “soft foods” so I just wanted to share a couple things you could try to bridge the gap between the puréed and regular food stage (I’m not allowed regular food til month 3 post op, but my plan is kind of strict) but what I’ve been eating in the soft foods/transitional stage has been like smothered green Beans, moist soft chicken (I made a low-fat low cal gravy), sweet potatoes, ground Turkey (made some really good stuffed bell peppers with some this week but I’ve been really sick to eat more than half of one), I’ve done ricotta bakes (look it up, life changer), low cal/fat “lasagna” with egg instead of Pasta, some ground chicken patties with spinach and green onions.

what my NUT/surgeon told me is the new stomach is trying to learn how to digest properly for even months after surgery. So things very starchy or carby are dangerous because they can become gelatinous in the stomach!!

So please don’t freak out, I know it’s scary! Monitor yourself and if anything starts feeling wrong besides being full, contact your doctor!!

You’ve got this!!!

Thank you for realizing that I know this was a mistake and offering suggestions and help. I called the dr office and told them how embarrassed I am that I misread and asked if there is anything I can do or do I have to just wait and see. The nurse practitioner is supposed to call me. Hopefully before she leaves today.

just so you know, most of us don't eat Pasta for at least the first year. I still can't eat much of it at 6 yrs out because it feels like a brick in my stomach. Plus it's not very nutritious. You have a tiny stomach now, so you have to eat mostly nutritionally dense things...

I just talked to the nurse practitioner she thinks I will be okay if I have no pain so far but she I was just way off track on what I should be eating right now which I already realized. I skimmed the page and seen Pasta under soft foods and did not read the DO NOT part. I feel super stupid for misreading it but what’s done is done I guess. I just have to do what I am supposed to do from now on.

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I feel super stupid for misreading

Dont feel stupid! We are all humans. It happens. What i've found being a part of this community is the amount of information that we get from our respective programs are vastly different in many ways. Some get like NO info and no prep from a NUT or psych, some get TONS of info. Some plans do a calorie vs carb thing. Some dont allow any form of beef for 6 months. Some are a 6 step process to get you back to "normal food." Some say hey 4 weeks out, do what you can handle. What I've done over the last 6 weeks is researched from reputable bariatric centers across the country and kind of make a mishmash of the most helpful information and stuff that kept popping up. That, along with following some of the vets on here and reading through their posts have helped me greatly in the "What not to do" aspect. I honestly didn't get a lot of info for my surgery. Most of what I knew was from being with my ex who had the surgery a few years ago. But the packet I did get was not thorough and quite contradictory throughout. The nutritionist even got mad at me for using 2 T of 35 calorie mayo when it was ON HER RECIPE. So I totally get feeling and being misinformed and ill prepared. This isnt something thats easy and its not necessarily a line of thought that we're used to when we've struggled with weight our whole lives. So just give yourself grace, do your due diligence, and take care of that new and still healing stomach, you worked hard for it.

The important thing is that you recognized your mistake, you did the right thing in calling your surgery center, and now you know. Like CatWoman said, most of us have been put on a no Pasta, bread, high carb/dough NOPE list until months and months out, for example, mine is a nono til 8-12 months.

Dont feel stupid, this community is amazing and super helpful. People can come off like theyre being harsh, but I truly believe that Its because they want everyone else to succeed too. Don't get discouraged. Keep your head up. And reach out to pretty much anyone on here and they're more than willing to help!!

Goodluck, hun. I'm rooting for you!

Don’t feel stupid! The newbies (which I am still one of) are learning as we go. For the first few weeks I was supposed to take a children’s chewable 2x a day. I read it as I was to take two 2x a day! No wonder I was constipated. You’re not the only one to goof up. It doesn’t ruin the whole process. 🙂

7 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I just talked to the nurse practitioner she thinks I will be okay if I have no pain so far but she I was just way off track on what I should be eating right now which I already realized. I skimmed the page and seen Pasta under soft foods and did not read the DO NOT part. I feel super stupid for misreading it but what’s done is done I guess. I just have to do what I am supposed to do from now on.

It's so easy to misread .. happy to hear you are ok

My worst..duh. why did I do that.... moment to date was polishing off some left over stew ( stew was TOO textured I was only 6 weeks and I ate it normal pre surgery speed ie FAST!) I did it on auto and it sat like a brick

You know how many times " mindful eating " is plugged everywhere

Definitely a duh what was I thinking mo.ent for me !!!

Fortunately apart from. Discomfort all was OK

BUT I DID GO BACK TO WHOLE liquids AND SLOPPY PUREES FOR 2 DAYS

as an apology to my poor stomach ..just in case!!!!