Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2021 anyone?

Just had mine on Thursday (1/14). I have to be honest, the pain was not as bad as I thought it would be (not painless, mind you, just not OMG I’m going to die pain). My gall bladder removal hurt way worse than this. I had lost close to 70 pounds on my own prior to surgery so I don’t know if that helped with the recovery (I was doing a minimum 3 mile a day exercise walk). My advise is get up and start walking as soon as you can after surgery. I was up and walking by maybe 4 pm (got to my room maybe around 11 am). I also really believe the surgical binder has been a big help.
What is a surgical binder?

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

22 minutes ago, FINFAN3DP said:

What is a surgical binder?

Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

The best way I can describe it is to liken it to a corset or a big ace bandage - it basically goes around your waist and helps provide support. I just found it very helpful. I actually had ordered one prior to surgery but they gave me one in the hospital.

Had mine on Tuesday 1/19 and I have been pretty miserable since. Spent the first night awake dry heaving in spite of being given multiple types of nausea meds. I had a pretty big hernia repair and the swelling was just too much at first. They ended up administering IV dexamethasone on Wednesday because it was impossible for me to burp. It helped some. Burping is still a challenge. I'm hoping it starts to hurt less when I sip. I get a serious spasm after each swallow. Just had some IV fluids administered at my house because I'm so dehydrated I felt like I was about to pass out and I can't drink enough. Hoping tomorrow is a better day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

23 hours ago, clifhiker said:

surgery on the 20th (wow only three days ago!! really?)

no issues so far, as reported pain was less than I expected although the cramping was pretty horrible the first 24 hours or so.

biggest and best feeling was the relief. Now I have a fighting chance! No more staring at that 95% diet failure rate and just getting depressed and eating a pizza.

Congrats..I had mine 1/21. I was able to come right home the next day. Cramps for me were pretty minor. Thank goodness

surgery on 1/20 ... two nights in the hospital and home. Been working on hydration and Protein Shakes. My doctor stepped in the morning I went home and told me to focus more on hydration than on Protein my first month. So I'm trying to do both ... but finding I can only get down 2-3 oz of a Protein Shake and maybe 4 oz of V8 and I'm done. I guess if I do that 5 times a day I'll be ok. Carrying the everpresent water bottle with everywhere I go haha

@maglerem I’m glad you had a great experience!! Welcome to the other-side. Can’t wait to hear your wins!!

Sleeved 1/20/21. I was MISERABLE my first week. I also had a couple problems post op, but I’m finally starting to feel like myself again!

@Glowworm860 I hate to hear you’re having a difficult time rn. I too had hernia repair and spasms after drinking and eating. But there is light at the end. It took a few of weeks to pass but each week gets better and better! Congratulations and hang in there!

On 1/10/2021 at 4:25 PM, flannybean said:

Jan 20th here! Would love to connect with anyone in the same boat!

I'm your surgery sibling! 1/20/21 as well!

On 2/9/2021 at 10:32 PM, Lexmm said:

Sleeved 1/20/21. I was MISERABLE my first week. I also had a couple problems post op, but I’m finally starting to feel like myself again!

Same day! Same first week experience too. I pulled a muscle on week 2. At week 4 i have sore ab muscles.

How is your week 4?

37 minutes ago, KrissyM said:

Same day! Same first week experience too. I pulled a muscle on week 2. At week 4 i have sore ab muscles.

How is your week 4?

Doing way better! Finally get to go back to work on Friday, I’m so ready to get back into a normal routine. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I was having chest pain, fast heart rate, and getting dizzy my second week but it was due to dehydration. I also had gotten thrush. Definitely an experience I won’t forget lol.

21 hours ago, Lexmm said:

Doing way better! Finally get to go back to work on Friday, I’m so ready to get back into a normal routine. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I was having chest pain, fast heart rate, and getting dizzy my second week but it was due to dehydration. I also had gotten thrush. Definitely an experience I won’t forget lol.

I bet your happy that those weeks are past you. That would have been so scary while recovering. I would agree thats burned in your memory! Let me know how your first day back to work goes.

I just had my pulled ab muscle from over exerting myself. Sore muscles that a heating pad and ice pack are helping with.

Did you hit that "3 week" stall? I havent lost any weight for 6 days. I know its normal... i just wonder how long it will last for me.