Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question about exercise and lapband success

Can you be successful losing weight with the lapband if you have difficulty moving? I have fairly significant arthritis in my knees and find walking somewhat difficult. Obviously, losing weight may relieve some of the pain, but since I've had knee problems since I was a slender teen, I'm not expecting it to resolve completely.

Since I've been sedentary for so long, my plan is to start doing physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around my knees, and simultaneously begin a more general weight lifting program to increase my general strength. I'm hoping after a few weeks of this I'll be strong enough to start walking short distances. What I have to avoid is injury - the last time I injured my knee I managed to gain another 50 lb :-(

I'd love to spend time in a pool, but the nearest one is 45 minutes away and doesn't have childcare...

So do you think I can be successful with this plan? Have any of you had similar experiences? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks -

Alyson

I think you can........but you're facing a bigger battle than others who can be more active.

You hear the statistic that most bandsters lose about 60% of their extra weight, without exercise, you're likely to be one of those that loses that 60%. To lose 100% and KEEP it off you need to make regular hard activity part of your lifestyle, cardio especially.

Can you consider circuit training where a lot of the aerobic benefit comes from doing moderate weights very fast rather than pounding the concrete? Try an elliptical machine? (easier on knees and hips than running). Rebounding classes?

To not have a pool any closer than 45 minutes, that's hard, probably impossible to consider Water based exercise then.

Strengthening muscles sounds like a great idea and cautiously take it from there. I honestly believe where there's a will there's a way and as long as you make the most of what you can do and what's available, then you will enjoy a good degree of success, even if it would be so much easier if you could exercise more easily.

I think you can........but you're facing a bigger battle than others who can be more active.

To not have a pool any closer than 45 minutes, that's hard, probably impossible to consider Water based exercise then.

Thanks - I appreciate your input. If I can lose the 60% I'd be low enough to get the knee replacement, and then be able to do more.

The irony about the pool is that we're building a house, and one of my dreams has been to have an Endless Pool. I could pay for a pool if I don't do the surgery, not to mention that my family would enjoy it. But I'm concerned that the weight wouldn't come off with diet and pool exercise; I swam and did Water aerobics 5 days a week two years ago and didn't change my weight at all, though I was more fit - then I had an injury and gained 40 lb...

Lap-band seems more likely to help me lose weight and keep it off, and get me to the point where I can get my knee replaced and be more active without pain. But then I read some people's exercise routines and started getting worried I wouldn't have good results because of my arthritis.

Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement -

Alyson

I plan to exercise when I get down a bit of weight so its not so hard to move around.

My sister had the lap band surgery about 3 years ago and she was a bit over 400lbs. She does NOT exercise, she literally sits on her computer all day everyday except when she went to classes at college.

After 3 years she hasnt lost it all but she got below 200lbs this past year and still has another 50 or so to go to goal.

So yes you can do it without exercise, but it will be slower and not as healthy for you.

When you lose a bit of weight exercise should become more possible.

Thanks for sharing your sister's experience - I plan to be more active than that (I don't have much choice - I have two small children!), but it's good to know that the band will still be working for me as I work to regain some level of fitness.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches