Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on Monday 11/26/07. All went well, except I was nauseas from the anesthesia and dry heaved all day. I came home Tuesday. I am still in a lot of pain, particularly where my port site is. I'm wondering, about how long did this pain last for others? And how far/long did you walk in the weeks following surgery?

I was banded 11/27. I was nauseous from the meds.

I had been in pain. Take your pain meds from the doc religiously. I took some gas-x last night and feel like a new person, I am still burbing a lot.

I can tell where my port is it still hurts the most. I am in ID and it is snowing so I am walking on the treadmill very slowly and just pacing around the house as much as I can.

hey guys i was done on the 26th as well. for me it has been a rough 5 days. My surgeon called me yesterday to see how i was doing, well needless to say, i broke down and balled like a baby....(so embarrasing)

I told him that i have had a low grade fever since monday, headaches, weak, "accidental diarrhea", (not cool, now i am housebound), and very very nauseated. He told me i am feeling most of this as i had a reaction to the anesthetic. Which i told them i would, they had to pump me up with meds when i was coming to.

The doc took me off the antibiotics, told me to get atleast 1.4 ltrs of liquids in, and take phenegren suppositories 2xs day for 3-4 days to help stop the nausea. This should help me get my liquids in. I found it hard to even put Water to my mouth. :) He also said that the diarrhea is normal as i am only taking in liquids. I wish someone would have told me this before, as i had to throw away a new pair of jammies:faint:

Sorry if tmi....but i dont recall reading this before my surgery.

My poor husband is frustrated. He told me today that if i dont start feeling better soon he wants them to take this thing outta me.....poor guy, he hates to see me so weak and lethargic. I told him that things will change soon once i can get onto full liquids....lord that cant come soon enough huh guys?

Anyhow, enough of the rambling.....stay intouch okay.....we can help each other thru this new adventure.

Hugs, Debbie

I was nauseus only in the recovery room, and they gave me something for it. After that it went away permanently.

As for feeling weak and listless, get that Protein stepped up! Get Protein drinks and shakes. Isopure clear Protein Drinks are GREAT (index). Protein and liquids is the name of the game. If you don't really step that up you will continue to feel like CRAP.

i had my band nov 28th and am feeling good... no nausia thank god...however in answer to ur lathargic feeling...i too felt bad and cried because i felt so weak... being 14 days on Clear Liquids sucks.....this helped... a small amount of apple juice made me feel like a million bucks... i'm supposed to be sugar free ..one lil medicine cup did the trick... also... i made a huge veggie Soup and strained it....wonderful! makes you feel like ur eating something.. i hope this helps..dont give up...you can do it!!! dr up that broth.. my surgery nurse and my surgeon ok'd this so i know its ok.. egg drop soup!! yummy... call and ask for some options ....good luck!!

I had my surgery on 11/27 and I'm doing much better. I agree with the apple juice, I mix mine with 2 T of gross liquid vitamins.... It helps me to get them down, and gives me a little boost I need. I also have found that the Protein Shakes are the key to feeling better and stronger. I'm not in much pain, and have stopped all meds (I stopped taking the oxycodone the day after surgery b/c it makes me loopy and nauseous), even Tylenol and I'm living off my heat pad when things gets sore. Good Luck everyone, from what I've read next week is the really turning point... most people feel 100% at about 2 weeks out.

I was banded on the 26th of Nov. I'm feeling pretty good. I have pain now and again around the port site but usually only when I have been up and about for too long. Only taking 1 tylenol every 8 hours. I find the fatigue frustrating. I am going to try and have 2 Protein Shakes today and see if that helps. So glad to hear everybody is coming along in their recovery. My heart goes out to you folks that have had trouble with nausea. That sucks and I can only imagine how much it hurts to get sick. Coughing, laughing hard and sneezing are still a bit painful. Take good care and keepus posted on your recovery.

Barb

I was banded on Nov.27. The problem I am having is with gas pain. I have been taking gas x and walking as much as possible. I do feel better, but it will take some time. I know I am not getting in enough fluids. I start to drink, but have no desire to finish anything. This is goingto be a long and difficult journey, but I know we will do it! I am with all of you every step of the way.

Patrice

i too have gassy evenings if i must say lol..... it passes though... my dr doesnt allow Protein Shakes or slim fasts.... i'm on clear liquids for 2 weeks...broths.. jello...sf pop sicles.. i think i'd like some slim fast right now lol i feel hungry! i dont right after i eat my buffet of clear Soups though....but then.... my fat girl mind thinks about good food... burgers and cheese..yumm... oh well thats what got me here in the first place! about the gassy feeling, i have a relative who's a nurse and she said after this surgery that gas does repeat itself for a while...then goes away so keep walking and gas x'ing... so far so good...gl yall !! the apple juice is saving me from the depression of...What did i do??? ... can you imagine...apple juice? who would have thought :embarassed:

I am feeling better today, but the gas is lingering a bit. This morning I woke up at 5:00am starving. I ate a sf pudding and took extra strength tylenol. I have never felt that much pain from hunger ever! I guess the swelling is going down, so the hunger will increase until I get filled in 5 weeks. It is going to be a long 5 weeks.

Thanks for listening!

Hi everyone! I was banded on 11/30 and completely agree on the gas pain thing. I was one of the lucky ones with no nausea or problems drinking. Today is the first day I feel miserable from too much liquid. I guess I couldnt feel the restriction before but today I had one slim fast and am miserable from being too full.

No vomiting or nausea tho so that's good. Have LOTS of pain at the port site. Wasnt expecting it to be so bad but it's tons worse when I get up and down. Faithfully taking the pain meds for that and general soreness.

I also had accidental diarrhea but it seems to have stopped late last night.

Good luck to all on your recoveries! I am so looking forward to everyone seeing less of us!! Let's just all hang in there and keep posting for support!:whoo:

I was banded on the 26th. I tried to stop taking meds yesterday but woke up last night and tried to get comfy...terrible port pain. It's almost like the swelling is going down and it's pulling on the port site. I decided to stay on the tylenol for another day...2 every 5 hours or so. Still using Gas X as it sees to help keep things moving. My energy is slowly coming back and I seem to be getting about 750 calories in a day. Each day gets a little better. I am glad I still have 1 more week off to adjust to the band and get my energy back. I have to wait till the end of January to get my first fill. I had too much last night to eat and felt pain for about an hour. I am on a big learning curve. I am measuring everything now..no eyeballing!! Hope you are all doing ok. Keep in touch

Barb

Thank you everyone!

Barbee, did you say you had too much to eat last night? Are you able to eat? I started getting hungry yesterday and allowed myself a 1/4 cup of sweet potatos yesterday & today. I'm supposed to be on full liquids till Wednesday. But if you are eating already, what are you having?

I was banded 11/28/07 in the morning and went home in the early afternoon. The first 24 hours, most of my pain was coming from a "gas" pocket that found it's way to the front of my left shoulder. I thought I had pulled a muscle and it turns out it was gas! I had a hard time finding a comfortable position as any time I leaned on my left hand or arm the "wrong" way I got shooting pains in my shoulder (pain rating of 8 or 9). I also felt a heavy tightness across my shoulders blades. Both were rightly attributed to gas. The best remedy I found was walking as much as possible throughout the day. I found that one long walk didn't help as much as many long walks (10 -15 minutes movely slowly around the house or outside to my mail box down a long dirt driveway). I also found resting and sleeping in a recliner chair to be the most comfortable place during the first 2 days and nights. The other type of pain I experience is around the incisions and where the port is. I'd rate the pain around a 3, sometimes 4. Mostly it feels tight and when I move or breath deep I feel the tightness expand. Coughin also creates more of a shooting type pain, although still not as bad as the gas-type pain. If I didn't have a cold to contend with, I'd be feeling a lot better (at least I wouldn't be worrying about coughing too much). I am on prescription cough medicine (the break up the phlem and to supress the cough). I've also been taking my pain med every three hours as prescribed. I notice if I allow too much time to lapse between the meds, I feel a lot more uncomfortable. This is day 4 post surgery for me and each day does get a little better. Hang in there!