Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 post op and can drink liquids so well it scares me

Hi guys! How are you all feeling?
I’m doing really well. I wish I could keep everything as it is forever now. Haha. Although I doubt that my body would survive, I just am so relieved to have gotten back a sense of control on food. That said, at the moment the control is still coming from the size of my stomach and not my habits. Hehe.
I’m on puréed consistency food and so far most things have been ok. Although I tried quiche yesterday and it had tiny bacon bits that I knew immediately were a mistake. No throwing up but I tried to elongate my body and marched around for a good few minutes to get through it.
I’ve seen my friend get really really unwell at over eating. I’m not sure if I’m not pushing limits as much or if I’m just fortunately wired not to get them. I think it’s the latter to be honest.

Also after being anxious that I wasn’t going to lose weight quickly (and thus never hit my goal weight) in the last two days I’ve lost 1kg which is mental. I hope it’s not just my muscles eroding away. Haha. That would be sad times.

I definitely am burping a whole tonne. I hope it’s a phase. Even when I don’t eat. I think maybe I swallow air. Not sure.

How have you all been feeling about moving around? My surgery was on the third and I was back at work this week. However yesterday I went home for lunch and basically slept for three hours, did a little more from bed and then was asleep by 9pm. I’ve been managing to get in my 10000 steps a day. So am hopeful that I will hit my goal. I’m living in Europe but from down under and hoping to go back home for a visit at my goal weight as it would make my mum and dad so happy to see me really healthy. Here goes....

I'm doing ok with liquids and purees. I can eat more than the recommended amounts though, so will need to be more strict about portion size.

I'm back in Japan as of today so am hoping to get away from the high carb foods I've been eating (pureed fruit, yogurt, etc) and into healthier stuff like miso Soup and proper Protein Shakes (I ran out of Protein Powder while travelling). I noticed today that I'm not quite hitting my Protein goals, so that (and Water of course) will be my goal until I get to soft/mushy food next week, which will open up a lot more options I think.

I'm definitely recovering faster than I did my first surgery, which is good. It makes me feel like I could progress faster in my food goals but I'm going to stick to the plan.

Question: how's everyone doing with bowel movements? I've been pretty good (I was worried right after surgery of Constipation but that passed (!) quickly enough) but the colour of my stool is a bit off - hoping it's just the effect of surgery/meds/food going through the digestive track too rapidly.

@mooki and @biginjapan - hi y’all! I’m happy to hear y’all are recovering well. I’m day 9 post op and I’m feeling a bit weak. I was approved for full liquids but having a lot of nausea. I tried skim milk and experienced the dreaded dumping syndrome. It was terrible. Fast heart rate, nausea, my whole body was hot except my feet and hands were freezing and I wanted to throw up but I couldn’t. Ugh. It lasted 30-45 mins so I guess I’m lactose intolerant now. I got some fair life milk yesterday which is lactose free and I was able to tolerate that, thankfully. I’m waiting on my Bariatric Fusion Multi-Vitamin with Iron to arrive today and I’m hoping that will help with the weakness.

I was only constipated for the first few days after surgery. Once I was done with the pain meds around day 4-5 I’ve had no issues with bowel movements, in fact, I’m pooped from pooping lol. The color is still much darker than before surgery but I think it’s cause my main nutrition is still chocolate Protein Shakes.

I go back to work this coming Tuesday and kinda anxious about it due to the morning weakness and afternoon tiredness I’ve experienced every day. I start the purée/soft foods phase next week and hopefully adding healthier food options will help with that.

I’m doing okay with the moving around. I get tired easily but I’m going to work hard to get in a lot of steps today and the remaining days before going back to work. It’s good to hear from y’all!

Hey March 3rd group. Here's a quick update:

I'm still fatigued from doing nothing.

I don't meet my 64 oz. goal for hydration, I'm only halfway there. So I started with the popsicles this week to help me.

I take the Prilosec and the bariatric Multivitamins eveyday, without issue now. I don't like the taste, but I will manage.

3/6 incisions have shed the skin glue naturally and looks amazing. Going to start using Mederma and Vitamin e oil next week. They itch like hell though and are still a little bit tender.

Pooping is not my friend, I'm taking the meds to assist me. I've only went once over this past weekend. I will take the Miralx to aide my body if needed.

I want to chew and now... I have to fight this head hunger like everyone else. I'm hungry sometimes, but I will drink a shake or one of my allowed items from the Full liquid diet. Still want a waffle and Turkey bacon or some cashews.

I'm down exactly 10 pounds from surgery last week.

sleep is difficult, I'm uncomfortable most nights and I want to go sleep during regular sleeping hours, I can't. I need a little more rest than normal.

I finally put on a bra today and full lounge wear.

Mooooorning team!
How many days post are we now? Lemme go count.....10! Woopwoop.
Wow it’s been a lot within 10 days!

@krimson - hydration helps with the fatigue Ina. Big way. I can’t hit 64oz either. However I can now hit 32 if I’m determined. Hang in there. It will also help immensely with the pooping.
Well done on resisting the need to chew!! You can do this because you are doing it! Every day! And we wanna live with no regrets 🥰
Getting up and dressed will help. And walk walk walk. It’s the walking that’s helping me I reckon. Not that I’m any expert.

@biginJapan ohhhh will be so much easier if you’re home and can start a routine. I don’t know much about stool colour but I do know pooping is key. Haha. If what is going in is ok then I wouldn’t worry about the colour. My inexpert opinion again. Haha.

@cammyC - ooooh noooo dumping syndrome sounds awful!!! Be strong and no lactose!! Thinking of you. Your comment on chocolate pooping made me laugh. Ooooh the chats we have. Hahahaha.
I am so sure the purées food will help. I was put on the milk diet preop and was lethargic and miserable. Have been on purée post op and have been soo much better. I think it will help!

So my big lesson for today is to not weigh myself every day. I got a bit of a shock that we are only 10 days post op. I went down 2.2llbs (1kg) the last two days but then this morning the scale didn’t budge. I was sad until I realised that 10 days is nothing and I need to reign in my crazy and trust the process.

The other thing I keep doubting is that the sleeve is working. I think I need to stick to set periods for eating. I was trying to get all my Protein Shake down which would take me the entire morning, but then I felt like I was over eating. My plan says Breakfast. Morning snack. lunch. Etc. So I’m going to try that approach. An hour to get as much Protein shake in then quits til snack time. Also my sleeve is working. I’m sitting here with half my coffee drunk and I feel stuffed. I really wish I could turn off my brain. It just complicates things. Haha.

Anyway. I LOVE hearing from you all. I haven’t told a soul I had the surgery because I lacked the courage to, but so it’s such a relief to be able to share the journey with you all.
Xx

Mooki,

Thank you for the thoughtful support and positive feedback. I appreciate you and everyone else on BP. As a private sleever myself, this site allows me to share discreetly with my peers while obtaining valuable information. This site along with a sleeved now revised to rny friend, my son (Resting in Heaven) helped me to make this life changing decision. We are all right on track with questioning our vsg surgeries and wondering if it worked, hydration and or stage consumptions, feeling lethargic and etc. I'm also dealing with insomnia, hate it so much. I think the full liquids have ran its course and I need pureed food before Tuesday. I'm going to see how I feel after a few errands tomorrow.

Question for all of us, who else in oit group didi tell others or limited pp about their wls?

I find it interesting how different doctors recommend different post-up eating regimens. When I did my sleeve back in 2017 I was the same as the rest of you - Clear Liquids, then full liquids in the first 2 weeks post-op. But on this revision surgery I've been on full liquids and purees since the day I left the hospital (day 3 post-op) and I haven't had any issues since. I've been tired of drinking of my Protein so tonight I tried some tuna with a little shredded cheese and it went down no problem. Still not sure how this is working considering my stomach is about the size of my index finger. But, no pain, no dumping. I'm still going to do liquids tomorrow but I may try another small meal with soft food/mushies (maybe scrambled eggs, or mashed carrots, or tofu) - it's a few days too early, but we'll see how it goes. If I have to be honest, I'm kind of upset that nothing has bothered me so far - I really would prefer some pushback from my stomach, or dumping, or something! because I don't like being able to eat and drink what I want. I know that in the long run it will make it that much harder to stay motivated and on track.

Edited by biginjapan

1 hour ago, biginjapan said:

I find it interesting how different doctors recommend different post-up eating regimens. When I did my sleeve back in 2017 I was the same as the rest of you - clear liquids, then full liquids in the first 2 weeks post-op. But on this revision surgery I've been on full liquids and purees since the day I left the hospital (day 3 post-op) and I haven't had any issues since.

I'm on liquids/purees for 3 weeks this time instead of 4 weeks (surgeon was asked before my discharge and she obviously said 3 weeks would be enough) but I guess that the Protein Shakes will be my companion for quite a time anyway in addition.

A friend of mine got SADI after lapland recently at a different hospital and was on liquids/purees only 2 weeks.

Simply said: there is no standard. Same with the diet the teams are recommending. Not every nutritionist in every team recommends "no-carbs" or "no-carbs, low-fat". I never got to hear "no Pasta, no bread, no potatoes, no grains". Caffeine is ok after 4 weeks, other teams say never again. They said no carbonation but other teams say no carbonation is rubbish when the patient can tolerate it as long as the beverages are low-cal.

There are only two things where really seems to be an agreement on: "don't drink after a meal before 30 min are over" and a focus on Protein in the early stages.

In the end it's trial and error anyway. One of the nutritionists on the team said: "I can't tell you what to eat - it depends on what you can tolerate and feel comfortable with. I can recommend chicken and dairy. If dairy makes you sick and chicken makes you vomit - this recommendation is worth nothing in the end."

2 hours ago, biginjapan said:

If I have to be honest, I'm kind of upset that nothing has bothered me so far - I really would prefer some pushback from my stomach, or dumping, or something! because I don't like being able to eat and drink what I want. I know that in the long run it will make it that much harder to stay motivated and on track.

I admit that I had similar thoughts years ago. On the one hand I thought that dumping could be an advantage, on the other hand I wasn't so sure if these particular thoughts are really healthy to have. Dumpings can be dangerous, depending on how severe they are and in what situation they occur.

Don't wish for them. Your perspective on these things will most likely change once you're at a lower weight anyway.

Hello surgery buddies! I like that we can share our experiences with each other. I’m thinking of you all and hoping you all get better in your recoveries! I got in quite a bit of walking yesterday and that makes me happy! I’m doing well on liquids and I actually had a tiny bit of butternut squash Soup last night and it was amazing!

I was not discreet about my surgery. All my close work peeps and friends and family know. At first, I got some negative feedback like “well I’ve heard so and so had a bad experience...” blah blah blah but I was like look this is my body and I’m excited for this change! After that, they settled down and started supporting me.

I finally got my Bariatric fusion Multivitamin with 45mg of Iron yesterday from Amazon and I have felt good the past two days from taking it. I’m down 10 pounds today and 36 pounds altogether with pre-op weight loss. I started about two months before surgery eating less. I was only having one meal a day and ensure max Protein twice daily. I’d have a banana or cottage cheese when I felt hungry in between. I still had a rough go on the pre-op liquid diet tho, but thank Goodness that part is over! I hope you all have a great weekend! Hugs

15 hours ago, summerset said:

I admit that I had similar thoughts years ago. On the one hand I thought that dumping could be an advantage, on the other hand I wasn't so sure if these particular thoughts are really healthy to have. Dumpings can be dangerous, depending on how severe they are and in what situation they occur.

Don't wish for them. Your perspective on these things will most likely change once you're at a lower weight anyway.

Yeah, I spoke too soon (that's karma for you). My last meal of the day was some low fat yogurt with extra Protein and OMG - now I know what dumping syndrome is! I felt horrible for about 5 hours, nauseous, gas (stomach abdominal area was very distended), etc - it wasn't until I was finally able to vomit that I felt better and could actually go to sleep. Even then I had to lie on my back since lying on either side brought back those symptoms (but less). I certainly learned my lesson! I think I'll take it easy and just do liquids today.

Was it really dumping you felt? I had something the few immediate days post-op a few times, including horrible back pain with it. The first Soup I had caused it, the other time a Protein Drink. I was still in the hospital.

The pain subsided a few minutes after I cold hear my intestines going to work. Drinking a few sips of tea helped tremendously to get things going again.

@@biginjapan That sucks you experienced it, but I’m glad you are taking it easy. I was the same way for a couple of days after I experienced it. I tried a few crackers last night and I feel very lethargic this morning. So no more crackers. It’s trial and error at this point, huh? Hope you feel better today.

7 hours ago, biginjapan said:

Yeah, I spoke too soon (that's karma for you). My last meal of the day was some low fat yogurt with extra Protein and OMG - now I know what dumping syndrome is! I felt horrible for about 5 hours, nauseous, gas (stomach abdominal area was very distended), etc - it wasn't until I was finally able to vomit that I felt better and could actually go to sleep. Even then I had to lie on my back since lying on either side brought back those symptoms (but less). I certainly learned my lesson! I think I'll take it easy and just do liquids today.

that could have been lactose intolerance, too - that's not uncommon after surgery.

dumping happens when too much sugar hits the small intestine and your body goes into overdrive to deal with it. It usually causes sweating, rapid heartbeat, flushing, and severe diarrhea - although it can cause nausea and vomiting as well.

It is so interesting how we all experience things so differently.

I’m day 3 post-op and it is legit work for me to get the daily Fluid requirements. Drinking, even relatively small sips, can often lead to it feeling like my stomach and esophagus spasming. I’ve tried fluids at different temperatures-I think warm works the best, but even that’s not perfect. I’ve tried using hyoscyamine which has been somewhat helpful. But even with that I’m having to be exceedingly mindful of how much I’m drinking. Basically I try to make sure I’m drinking at least 2 Dixie cups of fluid each hour. Usually at first I’m ok but over the course of a couple hours it becomes increasingly uncomfortable.

And in terms of hunger-I have ZERO appetite. I have absolutely no desire to eat or drink. Even seeing my family eat things I’ve historically enjoyed has not tempted me at all. It all just seems so off putting. And as others have experienced it feels like my tastes have changed. I used to genuinely enjoy Protein Shakes, even before I ever started in a weight loss program, but now I find them fairly revolting. I’m drinking them because I have to but it’s not easy.

Anyway just sharing my experience to perhaps provide another data point in the conversation.