Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HUGE hospital bill



Recommended Posts

There are sometimes way for ppl who don't have insurance through work or the "Marketplace" to get insurance...but yes, we have some who encounter high bills.

Some of my friends in the UK, where they are covered by national medicine..and friends in Canada have pointed out though that in the US we often have quicker access depending on what your situation is.

I have a tendency to throw blood clots and I have read in horror as friends in the UK fight to get appts faster..and some of the things they have to go through to get specialists, meds, etc....I'm hoping they have been rare exceptions.

We also have ppl who can afford it...come to the US for quicker access from Canada AND the UK...sigh...wish there could be a balance between affordability AND availability for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, KarenLR75 said:

There are sometimes way for ppl who don't have insurance through work or the "Marketplace" to get insurance...but yes, we have some who encounter high bills.

Some of my friends in the UK, where they are covered by national medicine..and friends in Canada have pointed out though that in the US we often have quicker access depending on what your situation is.

I have a tendency to throw blood clots and I have read in horror as friends in the UK fight to get appts faster..and some of the things they have to go through to get specialists, meds, etc....I'm hoping they have been rare exceptions.

We also have ppl who can afford it...come to the US for quicker access from Canada AND the UK...sigh...wish there could be a balance between affordability AND availability for everyone.

I've read for urgent cases, they can get you in pretty fast in the UK and Canada. It's the not-so-urgent and elective stuff that can take awhile, but that sometimes happens here as well. I had to wait three months to get in to see an endocrinologist, for example. And optometrists for a routine exam? Forget it. Takes forever. I finally went to an independent one instead of waiting six months to see one at my health maintenance organization's clinic. Oh - and annual physicals. Last time I called, my PCP was scheduling them a year in advance. A YEAR. Unbelievable. Thank God I wasn't dying (although I'm sure in that case, they would have gotten me in...)

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

I had to wait three months to get in to see an endocrinologist, for example. And optometrists for a routine exam? Forget it. Takes forever. I finally went to an independent one instead of waiting six months to see one at my ***. Oh - and annual physicals. Last time I called, my PCP was scheduling them a year in advance. A YEAR. Unbelievable. Thank God I wasn't dying (although I'm sure in that case, they would have gotten me in...)

True, true! I don't know how it is in the UK, Canada, or Australia but also trying to get in even for non-severe mental/emotional issues is....CRAZY. I remember primary referring family member to get a little more help with SITUATIONAL depression..although it was a severe case..and they were told left and right...6 months minimum..um...excuse me?

I will say we have come a long way with like coverage and access (as well as free for those who need it) to things like mammograms..now if they could just do that with all the other things we need access to more quickly. My pet peeve, especially with specialists is seeing that my plan only has like..let's say 10 docs in my area that cover that specialty...but 99% are no longer taking new patients...um...so there is only 1? And dang if it is not going to be the one furthest away or the one with the worst reviews..lol.

Sometimes healthcare..and we all know it from insurance hoops to get surgery if not self-pay..is like trying to plan a military campaign..

You last sentence made me laugh though...the irony of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KarenLR75 said:

My pet peeve, especially with specialists is seeing that my plan only has like..let's say 10 docs in my area that cover that specialty...but 99% are no longer taking new patients...um...so there is only 1? And dang if it is not going to be the one furthest away or the one with the worst reviews..lol.

we have that issue with PCP's as well. I switched insurance last year so I'd be in the same network as my bariatric surgeon so my yearly appts with him would be covered (before, it was all self-pay. Well, the surgery itself would have been self-pay with my current plan, too, but oddly, they cover the follow-ups and labs). Anyway, finding a new PCP was a nightmare. Pretty much nobody takes new patients. And I don't even live in a small town or rural area - it's supposed to be a gazillion times worse there because of doctor shortages!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×